Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

dermo1990 wrote: »
    cheers

I love to please....the missus, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    Hmmm a red theme, I had a blood red theme while on 8.3, it looked better than it did on the phone, lol, well restoring apps now, it might take a while..also the market was fast as hell loading up, for the time being I can say that this is faster than Insanity, not just a little but a lot!
    I`m kind of having second thoughts about going to Insanity, I`ll just have to keep an eye on it..

MarcusNO is going to change the unlock thingy from grey to black just for you..........!!!!:)

G1032 wrote: »
    MarcusNO is going to change the unlock thingy from grey to black just for you..........!!!!:)

He better or else I`ll keep drinking, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one had a problem when certain sim wont work?

I got a Galaxy S for my gf and meteor sim wont work. Tried Vodafone, O2 and Just Mobile Sims and both worked perfect.

When i insert Meteor Sim it just says mobile network unavailable and in the notification bar it just says emergency only. Even though i can get to go on the internet (with an error warning poping up all the time that ive no data lol)

Phone is unbranded and sim free on 2.3.3 (didnt work on 2.2/2.2.1 either)

When i go into settings it can pick up Meteor-IRL and i got coverage. Just wont make damn calls or texts and wont connect to the internet properly :S

Does anybody here know how to get the phone to notify of an incoming text message by 'beeping' as normal without showing a notification in the notification bar at the top of the screen?
    Basically I want the sound but not the visual

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

If you install ADW Laucher Ex it will allow you to modify the notification bar, even if the exact option you want is not there you can change the text to the same colour as the bar to make it unreadable.

Does anybody here know how to get the phone to notify of an incoming text message by 'beeping' as normal without showing a notification in the notification bar at the top of the screen?
    Basically I want the sound but not the visual

Into the messaging app. Menu Button>Settings. Scroll whole way down and untick Notifications.

delito wrote: »
    If you install ADW Laucher Ex it will allow you to modify the notification bar, even if the exact option you want is not there you can change the text to the same colour as the bar to make it unreadable.

Cheers. But running SPB Shell 3D. Good to know that tip anyway.

• Advertisement

Into the messaging app. Menu Button>Settings. Scroll whole way down and untick Notifications.
    Tried that but if you untick notifications you don't get a sound or a visual

Tried that but if you untick notifications you don't get a sound or a visual

I think its standard, I use Handcent SMS and it had the notifications...but I did have to also un tick that notification box but I didn't lose my text sounds, did you trey setting it again?

I think its standard, I use Handcent SMS and it had the notifications...but I did have to also un tick that notification box but I didn't lose my text sounds, did you trey setting it again?

Tried handcent. When I unticked the notifications box I lost the sound too.
    This is bugging me now...................

Tried handcent. When I unticked the notifications box I lost the sound too.
    This is bugging me now...................

Just sent a text to myself and its grand.
    Select the notification sound in Handcent, then leave clear show notification box above it.

Just sent a text to myself and its grand.
    Select the notification sound in Handcent, then leave clear show notification box above it.

Did that but still no luck.
    Can you tell me what settings you've got in the default message app. Is notifications ticked in that?

Did that but still no luck.
    Can you tell me what settings you've got in the default message app. Is notifications ticked in that?

Settings are all default, notifications is NOT ticked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

i know it sounds silly but reboot the phone then try again..

also what settings have you got selected.. i use handcent also and dont have any probs with it

i get probs with the ringtones every now and then as in the phone rings i.e vibrates but no sound a quick reboot and its fine

have you put the phone on silent and then back on to normal?
    that resets the driving mode on me all the time

Even tough I `ve all my ringtones/text tones pre set, sometimes I`ll get the main ringtone instead of the one I`ve picked for that person.

OK. I'll restart phone and see how I get on then. Thanks.

yeah i get that too

its a little annoying reminds me of the same probs of symbian nokia shiite

Still no good. I give up at this stage. The phone and it's notifications win.

• Advertisement

what is it your trying to do in a nutshell

Still no good. I give up at this stage. The phone and it's notifications win.

You probably already tried this but, un-install it and install again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Looks like we may have some movement on the Official Gingerbread release

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/official-samsung-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-tab-getting-gingerbread-up/

You can already flash the gingerbread build from samfirmware.com I flashed it and it worked without hiccups. Seems to have taken out alot of hiccups out of the final froyo build. Though better of waiting for the final one with touchwiz 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I note Meteor are SLASHING their roaming data charges which is great new so I have a question - is there a way to get my SGS to be a modem to my netbook to allow me to surf the net on my netbook??

anyone?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I note Meteor are SLASHING their roaming data charges which is great new so I have a question - is there a way to get my SGS to be a modem to my netbook to allow me to surf the net on my netbook??

anyone?

I think its called Thethering or something, I know I saw something like that on the stock firmware, you can you your phone as a modem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

I think its called Thethering or something, I know I saw something like that on the stock firmware, you can you your phone as a modem...

Tethering. Works via USB with Android 2.2 Froyo.
    Settings -> Wirelessi and Networks -> tethering

You will need to install Kies on the laptop to have the drivers.

2nd Method - use your Galaxy S as a WiFi Hotspot.
    Settings -> Wireless and Network -> Mobile AP
    Note: Heavy on the battery.

kc56 wrote: »
    Tethering. Works via USB with Android 2.2 Froyo.
    Settings -> Wirelessi and Networks -> tethering

You will need to install Keys on the laptop to have the drivers.

2nd Method - use your Galaxy S as a WiFi Hotspot.
    Settings -> Wireless and Network -> Mobile AP
    Note: Heavy on the battery.

That told me, lol

I would`nt try your keys, they won`t fit, try Kies, :P

Ok, just did it there via the 2nd method and its working sweet, thanks. Gonna be so handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Ok, just did it there via the 2nd method and its working sweet, thanks. Gonna be so handy!

Meteor may be slashing Roaming rates but DATA Roaming rates still remain at 10.24Euro per Mb. Beware.....

• Advertisement

Meteor may be slashing Roaming rates but DATA Roaming rates still remain at 10.24Euro per Mb. Beware.....

:eek::eek::eek:DAMN!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:DAMN!!!:eek::eek::eek:

kc , please get yer facts straight, from may 18th it'll 99c per MB whilst roaming on Meteor.:)

kc , please get yer facts straight, from may 18th it'll 99c per MB whilst roaming on Meteor.:)

:eek: :eek: sigh :eek: :eek: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

Three free in any country they have a network. 7E/MB outside.

http://www.three.ie/products_services/international/3-like-home-roaming.html

Vodafone 2 euro a day for 50mb
    http://www.vodafone.ie/internet-broadband/internet-on-your-mobile/abroad/?ts=1305590586209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You can already flash the gingerbread build from samfirmware.com I flashed it and it worked without hiccups. Seems to have taken out alot of hiccups out of the final froyo build. Though better of waiting for the final one with touchwiz 4

Very much doubt we are going to get TW4. Not that I want it, but it's one of their selling points of the SGS2.

Here lads, completely of topic, but has or does anyone get calls from Vodafone?

I`m on O2 and I `ve missed the first 2 calls, I did`nt recognise the number, there was a short voice mail, he just said hello, then the second one it was like it was just they forgot to hang up and I could hear lots of activity and people talking, so I tried calling back first time ringing out, then the next time they rang I rang back and it rings once and a ladies voice says... Hi this is Vodafone, no need to call us back we`ll try again in a few days..

Could they be trying to sell me something?
    I have the number...
    Anyone have this happen to them?

Here lads, completely of topic, but has or does anyone get calls from Vodafone?

I`m on O2 and I `ve missed the first 2 calls, I did`nt recognise the number, there was a short voice mail, he just said hello, then the second one it was like it was just they forgot to hang up and I could hear lots of activity and people talking, so I tried calling back first time ringing out, then the next time they rang I rang back and it rings once and a ladies voice says... Hi this is Vodafone, no need to call us back we`ll try again in a few days..

Could they be trying to sell me something?
    I have the number...
    Anyone have this happen to them?

nothing like that,

but I have tried calling home number and it rang on the phone for me, but not for the home phone.

I think vodafone call trying to get you to switch. It's a call centre (ya know, obviously enough) which is where the background noise comes from. It all comes from a common number which is where the womans voice is.

nothing like that,

but I have tried calling home number and it rang on the phone for me, but not for the home phone.

I think vodafone call trying to get you to switch. It's a call centre (ya know, obviously enough) which is where the background noise comes from. It all comes from a common number which is where the womans voice is.

I've never had out happen before, just odd the way its happening, very sloppy.

O2 and Three have been ringing me nearly every two months giving me offers and asking me to port back.

Think O2 is getting in **** for doing that.

Its fairly frustrating. Especially when them numbers are private and your waiting for a real call from some one. The last ones i just get if i hear the word three or o2 i immediately hang up :)

• Advertisement

O2 and Three have been ringing me nearly every two months giving me offers and asking me to port back.

Think O2 is getting in **** for doing that.

Its fairly frustrating. Especially when them numbers are private and your waiting for a real call from some one. The last ones i just get if i hear the word three or o2 i immediately hang up :)

When I first rang it back it just rang and rang, why the hell have they left to crap messages? The number itself is suss to, I`ll probably hear from them around 12 this morning.

I understand that they want more people on there network, but like anything if I want it, I`ll go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Anybody on GIngerbread? WHat are ur thoughts on it ? JVO released yesterday for the sgs but from what i can gather its just the official Ginger rom for Europe....the same rom as JVH.

In fact, the FFC bug is still supposed to be there, which tells me another rom will be on the way soon ;)

Anybody on GIngerbread? WHat are ur thoughts on it ? JVO released yesterday for the sgs but from what i can gather its just the official Ginger rom for Europe....the same rom as JVH.

In fact, the FFC bug is still supposed to be there, which tells me another rom will be on the way soon ;)

I`m on her and finding it great, FFC working great as well, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

yep on jvh here and more than happy to stick with it.
    loveing the speed bump!
    anyone know if ginger has video gtalk yet?

I`m on her and finding it great, FFC working great as well, :)

What surprises me most is that samsung can release the rom without even testing it even a little bit. Or without looking at customer complains across XDA etc. Bad way for a company to act tbh. The engineers should be watching XDA for bugs, and people on XDA could be coding/fixing bug. I don't know if that could work but they are a knowledgeable bunch.

god's toy wrote: »
    loveing the speed bump!

Its ment to be on Insanity 8.4 or 8.5, I don`t know with them lads any more, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone using CyanogenMod now it's gone to nightlys ?

Still very tempted to run with this but the bugs that were there are they still around and why go to nightly if so many bugs still exist ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

loveing the speed bump!

Do you notice it to be faster ?

If anything i think it's a bit slower :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭shmeee

It is faster for me alright too on JVH... The transition between apps etc is very good...

Def noticed the difference alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think the boot up takes a little longer than it use too but for sure i do think its faster over all. apps load up faster and its not crashed once. also i didn't reset/wipe the phone so its not just a 'fresh install' speed boost.

i do see that some games run a tad slower but that could be cos i didn't reset after install, that's what i found after the last update to froyo. looks like quadrant is down a little too.

our all very happy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I think the boot up takes a little longer than it use too but for sure i do think its faster over all. apps load up faster and its not crashed once. also i didn't reset/wipe the phone so its not just a 'fresh install' speed boost.

i do see that some games run a tad slower but that could be cos i didn't reset after install, that's what i found after the last update to froyo. looks like quadrant is down a little too.

our all very happy indeed.

yeah, im not too worried about the speed what i'm looking forward to is better battery life.

Off topic from the OS, when i go into task manager and then RAM, it says 209/329mb i thought the s was supposed to have 512ram ? Is the extra bit being used by something else ? I had no apps open when i took that reading so i am assuming the os is using the 209mb (which seems more than froyo did).

• Advertisement
Advertisement