Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

just going through the steps of going to Darky's 10

and when im installing from ZIP from recovery the screen has gone dark nothing doin is that normal or is it fubar

never mind think i was been a numb nutz

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭donjuandejohn

Off topic from the OS, when i go into task manager and then RAM, it says 209/329mb i thought the s was supposed to have 512ram ? Is the extra bit being used by something else ? I had no apps open when i took that reading so i am assuming the os is using the 209mb (which seems more than froyo did).

Not sure abut 512 but it was 307mb on official 2.2 and 329mb on 2.2.1. If I clear L1 & L2 cache on the RAM screen on mine it closes 13 background applications (even though I opened none), and then drops to ~127mb of 329mb. Go back to the run screen and everything restarts (icons blank then reload). Wait about 20 seconds, do it again and 6 applications are closed. I guess there are background programs running. If it is 512mb I'm guessing the OS is using the other 183mb

lads im using Darkys 10 and having a problem with Google talk

i can video call some one there and i can see them but they cant see me... there is a little lock on the out going image of what should be me suggesting that the camera is blocked some how is there any way to unblock it ive looked through and messed with the settings and still can get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

moggser wrote: »
    lads im using Darkys 10 and having a problem with Google talk

i can video call some one there and i can see them but they cant see me... there is a little lock on the out going image of what should be me suggesting that the camera is blocked some how is there any way to unblock it ive looked through and messed with the settings and still can get it

Thats because the app is hacked from the sgs2 or another phone and doesn't work fully for the SGS.

well is there a fix for it?
    im not entirely sure that well that is the fault could be wrong tho

never mind the front camera bug seems to be sorted in the 10.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

QQ my gps is abosulte ****, went down to kerry and its was searching for gps 95% of the time, my friend had his gps on with his htc desire and it worked fine. anyone else have problems with theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

adamski8 wrote: »
    QQ my gps is abosulte ****, went down to kerry and its was searching for gps 95% of the time, my friend had his gps on with his htc desire and it worked fine. anyone else have problems with theirs?

Try another modem, its really trial and error...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

GPS Lock is a known problem. As far as I'm aware there are a few fixes on xda but they don't solve it completely

lewis wrote: »
    Try another modem, its really trial and error...
    how does one go about that then? are you guys saying that if i root it or upgrade to gingerbread it might be fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

how does one go about that then? are you guys saying that if i root it or upgrade to gingerbread it might be fixed?

This might help...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1043034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

I am getting my galaxy next week. Thanks for all the tips on the forums.

FYI- Found the Tetrax X-Way Holders here. Ordered mine on Friday, came in post today:D Free postage too;)

http://www.tetrax-ireland.com/?page_id=349

I am getting my galaxy next week. Thanks for all the tips on the forums.

FYI- Found the Tetrax X-Way Holders here. Ordered mine on Friday, came in post today:D Free postage too;)

http://www.tetrax-ireland.com/?page_id=349

Don`t know if I`d like to put my phone in front of the air vent...I like the good ole suction kind, lol

Good point. Thought of that so just clamped it on to part of the dash. They have a sticky on one too.

Not much of a sucker myself. LOL

Good point. Thought of that so just clamped it on to part of the dash. They have a sticky on one too.

Not much of a sucker myself. LOL

I`m not sticky anything to my dash, I learnt that messy mistake with my first Lambo...

When you have two young kids, you get used to things being stuck all over. Look forward to having a clean car...in ten years!!

When you have two young kids, you get used to things being stuck all over. Look forward to having a clean car...in ten years!!

My car is where I draw the line...the little ****es, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

Since froyo is there a newer update via kies, ta

t.henno66 wrote: »
    Since froyo is there a newer update via kies, ta

Your ****in me right???

Hi guys,

So I bought a Galaxy S off a person I contacted through DoneDeal. All above board and the phone is working 100% brilliant and is perfect, almost.

I bought it in Dublin and was up there the last two weeks. I've come home down the country for the summer and won't be back in Dublin till late September.

So my problem is, I'm on Meteor Pay as You Go.
    In Dublin, no problem with coverage at all. Come here. Can't get one bar in 90% of places!!

So the question is, is it the model of the Galaxy S that is the problem in a rural area, or should I change network? Of course, I'd change on a trial period to see if another service provider gave better coverage. The lack of it at home is infuriating tbh.

Thanks peoples!!!

• Advertisement

yrah thats meteors **** coverage, even alot of dublin is one bar for me.

Hi guys,
    In Dublin, no problem with coverage at all. Come here. Can't get one bar in 90% of places!!

So the question is, is it the model of the Galaxy S that is the problem in a rural area, or should I change network? Of course, I'd change on a trial period to see if another service provider gave better coverage. The lack of it at home is infuriating tbh.

Thanks peoples!!!

Oh boy, you have cracked the door to the amazing world of flashing, care to step inside??

Once you`ve read up about it all, it should take you about a year, lol, you could try another modem, which can dramatically change the signal strength for you.

Hi guys,

So I bought a Galaxy S off a person I contacted through DoneDeal. All above board and the phone is working 100% brilliant and is perfect, almost.

I bought it in Dublin and was up there the last two weeks. I've come home down the country for the summer and won't be back in Dublin till late September.

Thanks peoples!!!

Nah it's the phone. I'll buy it from you for €150

Three aren't too bad but in my experience Vodafone have the best coverage (also some of the highest prices)

Nah it's the phone. I'll buy it from you for €150

Three aren't too bad but in my experience Vodafone have the best coverage (also some of the highest prices)

For me Vodaphone/Meteor are crap, O2 does the biz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Meteor is great I find for phone coverage. Terrible for Data. More often than not I can't get 3G in the countryside.

Three on the other hand have the best data coverage.

is there a proper goggle talk apk knocking around lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

what is the latest firmware for this phone im on 2.2.1 i flashed that myself but i dont want to flash again as i lost all my apps and music the last time i just want to update through kies...

Craigels wrote: »
    what is the latest firmware for this phone im on 2.2.1 i flashed that myself but i dont want to flash again as i lost all my apps and music the last time i just want to update through kies...

You do know that there`s app`s on the market that backup your stuff, not to mention in your recovery you can also do a backup there.

What I do is hook your phone up to your PC and copy both your SD cards, everything, then I use Titanium Backup for my apps, that way nothing gets lost.

As for Kies........no comment.

Craigels wrote: »

Lurk moar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

howdy.
    im on the following since last sunday

firmware 2.3.3
    baseband I9000xxjvo
    kernel 2.6.35.7-I9000xwjvh-cl184813root@dell101 #2
    build gingerbread.xwjvh

one thing i will say, if i open maps, it takes a maximum for the map to zoom in on my location, its fuppin nuts.

i want darky though.

i tried to move to darky 10 last weekend but it kept on cycling on and off so i had to reflash to the above.

can anybody advise on how i can safetly get to darky 10.1

cheers

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    howdy.
    im on the following since last sunday

firmware 2.3.3
    baseband I9000xxjvo
    kernel 2.6.35.7-I9000xwjvh-cl184813root@dell101 #2
    build gingerbread.xwjvh

one thing i will say, if i open maps, it takes a maximum for the map to zoom in on my location, its fuppin nuts.

i want darky though.

i tried to move to darky 10 last weekend but it kept on cycling on and off so i had to reflash to the above.

can anybody advise on how i can safetly get to darky 10.1

cheers

Before you go flashing 10.1, have you tried un-installing/installing Google maps again?

• Advertisement

Sorry lewis there are a couple of words missing from my post. it takes a maximum of 5 seconds to zoom in. its so fast its mad.

So which do you want, your map sorted out or Darky`s 10.1?

Theres nothing wrong with the maps. unless you think 5 seconds is slow.

Theres nothing wrong with the maps. unless you think 5 seconds is slow.

Terribly slow, I`d lose the rag if it was that slow, lol

The best way is always from as clean a flash as possible, what I did was wipe my internal SD on my laptop, flash Ficeto`s JVH base, then 10.1 from CWM.

Cheers for that. should get around to doing it tomorrow.

Cheers for that. should get around to doing it tomorrow.

You know where to find Ficeto`s JVH?

I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

Is there any way to prevent the phone from lighting up when it's fully charged? I place the phone in a Samsung dock beside my bed to a) use it as an alarm clock and b) charge it over night. I set it to silent mode and turn on flight mode but when it gets to 100% charged the screen comes to full life and blasts out light until the 30 second timeout turns off the screen.

My misus goes mental when this wakes her up. I need a solution asap!!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Any word on Android 2.3 on the Vodafone ROMs ?

Also, does anyone know what customisation Vodafone Ireland actually did to the Samsung Galaxy S? It looks like a stock ROM, other than it has the Vodafone APN settings pre-programmed. They can be erased, but a restore factory defaults, gives you Vodafone.ie's settings again.

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Guys,

Is there any way to prevent the phone from lighting up when it's fully charged? I place the phone in a Samsung dock beside my bed to a) use it as an alarm clock and b) charge it over night. I set it to silent mode and turn on flight mode but when it gets to 100% charged the screen comes to full life and blasts out light until the 30 second timeout turns off the screen.

Ben

Best solution I found was oi. Missus heor. Ya don't like it
    Make like a tree and leave get the **** from my bed eat a dick or shut up I pay the bills
    round this place... if that don't work ask ask Lewis I'm sure he
    Will have a better answer

You hit the nail on the head there Moggser!

Guys,

Ben

Get her some eye shades, if she does`nt like them then try adjusting the pillow when its over her face, lol
    Best solution I found was oi. Missus heor. Ya don't like it
    Make like a tree and leave get the **** from my bed eat a dick or shut up I pay the bills
    round this place... if that don't work ask ask Lewis I'm sure he
    Will have a better answer

If I said that to my missus, she would do bad things to me in my sleep, I`d wake up a "new" man......:eek:

If I said that to my missus, she would do bad things to me in my sleep, I`d wake up a "new" man......:eek:

ye the erection correction clinic lol

mere to me any idea where i'd get the nexus one lock screen ya know the one

where it looks like a telly goin on the blink

ye the erection correction clinic lol

mere to me any idea where i'd get the nexus one lock screen ya know the one

where it looks like a telly goin on the blink

That`s the CRT animation, its on a few ROM`s Darky`s 10.1 has it, I`m sure you could find it on XDA....

I`m looking for a charger cable for my car, I got me a holder for it but the cable that comes with it is to short, had a look in PC but more iphone cack than anything else...

Is it??? i just came back down from 10.1 to 10 i thought it was to buggy for me anyway.... will have a look for it ...
    what cable exactly you looking for . friend if mine.e got a car charger for his in a garage for a tenner

I`m looking for a charger cable for my car, I got me a holder for it but the cable that comes with it is to short, had a look in PC but more iphone cack than anything else...

Get yourself one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-cigarette-powered-usb-adapter-charger-with-retractable-usb-to-micro-usb-cable-black-35687 or keep everone happy and get one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-cigarette-powered-dual-usb-adapter-charger-for-ipod-dc-12-24v-48029 and one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/retractable-usb-charger-cable-for-samsung-g600-d800-lg-kg90-mini-usb-micro-usb-cellphones-70cm-42347

But not if you're in a hurry :eek: Their 'free' P&P is true snail maail and can take up to a month to get to Ireland.

Ben

Is it??? i just came back down from 10.1 to 10 i thought it was to buggy for me anyway.... will have a look for it ...
    what cable exactly you looking for . friend if mine.e got a car charger for his in a garage for a tenner

I drive a passion wagin so the widescreen is a fair bit away from the cigarette lighter, so I need to have the cable nice and snug away from the gears and everything else.
    I like the idea of that retractable USB cable, but either that or a long one or them stretchy ones, probably either of the last two, because when I have it set up that way I won`t have to worry about the cable always getting in the way, you know?

I do like the size of this one...http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-cigarette-powered-1000ma-usb-adapter-charger-black-dc-12v-40470
    The one I got looks like I have a mini dildo plugged in there, lol.
    The one I got has dual USB, so I like that.

The third on looks to be a bit awkward for the car.

Have you gotten anything from these lads before?

I usually get my crap from Amazon, but for the crap I`m looking for is usually sold by a third party....

I get loads of stuff from these lads. It's all coming from Hong Kong and a lot of the gadgety stuff is cheap quality (what do you expect for $5 delivered free from HK) but always does what it says on the tin. I've purchased loads of micro SDHC cards from them (for Nintendo DS flash carts) and they were always bang on.

I actually purchased a few of these for use with retractable micro usb cables http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-cigarette-powered-1000ma-usb-adapter-charger-black-dc-12v-40470. They are nice and tidy, especially in conjunction with the retractable cables.

Ben

• Advertisement

I get loads of stuff from these lads. It's all coming from Hong Kong and a lot of the gadgety stuff is cheap quality (what do you expect for $5 delivered free from HK) but always does what it says on the tin. I've purchased loads of micro SDHC cards from them (for Nintendo DS flash carts) and they were always bang on.

I actually purchased a few of these for use with retractable micro usb cables http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-cigarette-powered-1000ma-usb-adapter-charger-black-dc-12v-40470. They are nice and tidy, especially in conjunction with the retractable cables.

Ben

Yeah they do look the part, the only thing I can think of about the retractable cable is that when it is pulled out to the phone it would be in the way, I need to keep it tight to the dash.

Advertisement