Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

lewis wrote: »
    Yeah they do look the part, the only thing I can think of about the retractable cable is that when it is pulled out to the phone it would be in the way, I need to keep it tight to the dash.

It can be extended to a number of different lengths so doesn't dangle around too much but if you're looking for something that will be plugged in most of the time and will hug the dash then this one might suit you better http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-micro-usb-car-charger-for-htc-cell-phones-10-30v-dc-71294

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

BenEadir wrote: »
    It can be extended to a number of different lengths so doesn't dangle around too much but if you're looking for something that will be plugged in most of the time and will hug the dash then this one might suit you better http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-micro-usb-car-charger-for-htc-cell-phones-10-30v-dc-71294

Ben

Yeah that would be the bizz, but I`m not gonna get just that from there, its a bit small, I like buying a fair few things if I was buying from there, I`ll keep my eyes open in more local placed, I`ll also check Amazon, cheers for your help man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

moggser wrote: »
    mere to me any idea where i'd get the nexus one lock screen ya know the one

where it looks like a telly goin on the blink

This comes with Ficeto's JVH Base ROM too. Just enable animations and you'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

ah HA yeah i got it lol nice thanks lads had it all along lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can anybody recommend a good media player for the galaxy ?

Also, can you recommend a good podcast feed ..

Recently moved from Iphone and having a bit of bother finding apps that are user friendly!

Also, does anybody know how to move apps around in the application screen (I can only delete programmes and it leaves space and programmes on their own page).

Is it normal for the Kies programme to be really slow and to eat up memory on the pc ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Drumpot wrote: »

Mobo Player for video.
    Try PowerAmp for music.

Drumpot wrote: »

Also, can you recommend a good podcast feed ..

Recently moved from Iphone and having a bit of bother finding apps that are user friendly!

Also, does anybody know how to move apps around in the application screen (I can only delete programmes and it leaves space and programmes on their own page).

Is it normal for the Kies programme to be really slow and to eat up memory on the pc ?

Thanks

How do you mean user friendly?

I`m assuming your on stock, long press on any app usually does something, but since we don`t know anything, its hard to tell.

Once you learn about other ROM`s, people don`t really use Kies..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Has anybody had problems receiving text messages? I often wouldn't get them until a week later when fifty or so come through together

jurahnimoh wrote: »
    Has anybody had problems receiving text messages? I often wouldn't get them until a week later when fifty or so come through together

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

jurahnimoh wrote: »

nope. Restart your phone more often and see if that fixes the problem. Could be network or cell (of network)
    related.

• Advertisement

Ok, I`ve found a nice little charge here in Ireland for my SGS....http://cgi.ebay.ie/CAR-CHARGER-HTC-NOKIA-LG-SONY-ERICSSON-SAMSUNG-/180645493937?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item2a0f4f7cb1#ht_3000wt_905

But the thing is, my cigarette lighter is in an awkward position in my car, an Altea, so if I had it plugged in it would be in the way when I change gears and the handbreak.

So I think the best way to go about it is get a long USB charger cable that would go into this charger, then I could keep it tight up against the dash, the retractable ones would still be in the way when plugged in, but I`ve trolled through loads of crap and have`nt come across one yet, has anyone seen one that will do the job?

Edit: Even something like this would do the job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

No posts in the SGS thread for 11 days!

RIP, you were worth your weight in gold :) Thanks for starting wayne040576

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

im posting just for the sake of it :D

Did I miss something???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

I upgraded to ginderbread 2.3.3 last week. The phone now crashes:mad: doing simple tasks like checking email or using the camera, internet etc. When I restart the phone my free ram is about 100mb but after a very minutes its down to about 45mb. It was laggy on froyo but I think its worst on gingerbread.

I feel samsung should have put more ram into this phone. Is there anything I can do to make the phone run more smoothly. I used to have a HTC Desire and I never had these issues.

MJPE wrote: »
    I upgraded to ginderbread 2.3.3 last week. The phone now crashes:mad: doing simple tasks like checking email or using the camera, internet etc. When I restart the phone my free ram is about 100mb but after a very minutes its down to about 45mb. It was laggy on froyo but I think its worst on gingerbread.

I feel samsung should have put more ram into this phone. Is there anything I can do to make the phone run more smoothly. I used to have a HTC Desire and I never had these issues.

How did you upgrade?
    Please don`t say Kies, lol

How did you upgrade?
    Please don`t say Kies, lol

Ya, eventually. Why would that make a difference?

Ya, eventually. Why would that make a difference?

Stock firmware is a big pile a ****e, unfortunately when you buy the phone it has this on it. You should look into changing(flashing) new firmware onto it, its a million times better than it.

Head on over to here it will explain what I`m on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd agree. I upgraded via Odin to stock 2.3.3 and it was freezing 5 times a day. Changed to Darkskys 10.1 and it's much faster, better on battery and no freezes at all, though it's only been 24 hours. It's worth a try anyways! You can always go back.

Stock firmware is a big pile a ****e, unfortunately when you buy the phone it has this on it. You should look into changing(flashing) new firmware onto it, its a million times better than it.

Thanks for the link. Lewis

I was thinking I would have to Root and flash a ROM (stupid samsung:mad:, great hardware, s**t software). I looked at this previously when on froyo looks tricky. Me and computers/anything electronic do not always see eye to eye.

• Advertisement

I was thinking I would have to Root and flash a ROM (stupid samsung:mad:, great hardware, s**t software). I looked at this previously when on froyo looks tricky. Me and computers/anything electronic do not always see eye to eye.

So naturally you buy an Android phone, lol.

It can seem tricky at first but keep reading it til your comfortable with it, don`t do anything and think "it`ll be alrite" or "ah fcuk it" cause that`s when you make a dogs dinner out of it.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'd agree. I upgraded via Odin to stock 2.3.3 and it was freezing 5 times a day. Changed to Darkskys 10.1 and it's much faster, better on battery and no freezes at all, though it's only been 24 hours. It's worth a try anyways! You can always go back.

Thanks Chrislad,

Do you have any handy links that you used to root and flash a ROM. There is lot of information on xda website and not sure where to start.

Thanks in advanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So naturally you buy an Android phone, lol.

It can seem tricky at first but keep reading it til your comfortable with it, don`t do anything and think "it`ll be alrite" or "ah fcuk it" cause that`s when you make a dogs dinner out of it.

lol The computer in work has me tormented. When I really need it, it acts up right on cue.

Could have turned to the darkside:D http://c580513.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/toy-a-day_-june-2008.png

Thats good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

MJPE, before you give Darky's ROM a go. Try a factory reset.

I've always found my SGS a bit slow after a new flash, but a factory reset fixes it.

Remember to backup your data before doing either reset or flashing Darkys ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

I upgraded to 2.3.4 yesterday and already im noticing a difference. Way faster booting up and it seems way smoother and responsive.
    One problem is my battery charges to 100 and immediately drops to 99 once unplugged but I think thats just a calibration issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

statto25 wrote: »
    I upgraded to 2.3.4 yesterday and already im noticing a difference. Way faster booting up and it seems way smoother and responsive.
    Oe problem is my battery charges to 100 and immediately drops to 99 once unplugged but I think thats just a calibration issue.

Think thats fairly common and losing 1% isn't much to worry about.

Raoul wrote: »
    Think thats fairly common and losing 1% isn't much to worry about.

Cool, not too worried about it. Loads of articles on the other forums about it. I'll post up if i notice anything good/bad.

• Advertisement

It`s a default safety setting for the battery, so it does`nt hurt it, lol, it grand everyone has it.

statto25 wrote: »
    Oe problem is my battery charges to 100 and immediately drops to 99 once unplugged but I think thats just a calibration issue.

Did you upgrade using Kies?

Did you upgrade using Kies?

No I got sick of waiting for Vodafone to get their act together so I used the leaked 2.3.4 ROM. I used this process: http://androidadvices.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-to-gingerbread-xxjvp-2-3-4-firmware/

Very simple to do. Less than five mins. Make sure you backup your data, apps etc. I used MyBackup from the android market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So this battery life issue is getting the better of me. I'm thinking of resorting to this, especially when I'm away from home/my desk for the day.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s-extended-battery-case-p25834.htm

Anyone have/use this before?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So this battery life issue is getting the better of me. I'm thinking of resorting to this, especially when I'm away from home/my desk for the day.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s-extended-battery-case-p25834.htm

Anyone have/use this before?

What you running off your phone that`s draining your battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What you running off your phone that`s draining your battery?

Feck knows. I'm on Twitter a lot during the day, and the phone jumps between 3G and HSDPA quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone use 'MyBakup Root'?
    Just a warning. I backed up my phone this morning and it said it completed successfully.

When I tried to restore after flashing, it was giving an I/O error. Ive since figured out that the SD card was full, but it didn't tell me that during or after the backup. It said "successful". Now I've lost all my recent data :(

That'll learn me!

Edit: Is there any app/service that will auto sync the entire contents of your phone every few days? Up until now, I was just connecting to the PC every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,
    Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S2. I have read the desktop software - Kies - is crap.

What software do people use?

Thanks.

Anyone use 'MyBakup Root'?
    Just a warning. I backed up my phone this morning and it said it completed successfully.

When I tried to restore after flashing, it was giving an I/O error. Ive since figured out that the SD card was full, but it didn't tell me that during or after the backup. It said "successful". Now I've lost all my recent data :(

That'll learn me!

Edit: Is there any app/service that will auto sync the entire contents of your phone every few days? Up until now, I was just connecting to the PC every few weeks.

I know Titanium has a schedule, its handy, I use it.
    K09 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S2. I have read the desktop software - Kies - is crap.

Thanks.

Oh dear lord....

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

None. USB debugging on and you can hook it up like an external drive. Most things you can get to cloud sync so I rarely attach my phone by USB at all except when transferring bigger files. Aside from that, I dropbox things over. (referral link is sneakily in my sig if you need an account - both of us get extra free space.)

Good luck with that one man^^^

• Advertisement

Debating buying this phone second hand for about 350 dollars.. "5 month old i9000".
    But what's the story with GPS? If it's not up to scratch, I can't get it..

Debating buying this phone second hand for about 350 dollars.. "5 month old i9000".
    But what's the story with GPS? If it's not up to scratch, I can't get it..

Well if you can get your hands on it before you buy, go for it.

GPS is good, once you find the right modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

GPS is fine as it is, I've never had issues with accuracy or finding satellites.

Lewis, you're constantly sneering at peoples genuine questions, such a your Oh dear lord comment a couple of posts back. If people don't want to, don't know how, our never heard of modding their phone they're not inferior to those who do.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    GPS is fine as it is, I've never had issues with accuracy or finding satellites.

Lewis, you're constantly sneering at peoples genuine questions, such a your Oh dear lord comment a couple of posts back. If people don't want to, don't know how, our never heard of modding their phone they're not inferior to those who do.

It was`nt a sneer, but since your so good at telling just from some text, then it must be. Where the hell are you getting the inferior part from, jesus man, you read to much into things, relax...you make it out that we`re some kind of gods or something, lol...BOW DOWN TO THE FLASHERS YOU INFERIOR SCUM!!

What was ment by it was, it was a big question to answer, considering all the talk about flashing and such it`s fairly clear that practically know one uses Kies.

A little reading up goes a long way...

Point proven, that was easy.

I'm with Lewis on this one. If people don't want to search for the answer, they obviously don't care enough. A year after the phones release, almost every question about it has been answered somewhere, and an awful lot of those, in the thread.

I used to post loads, giving support to new users, but I've stopped because I'm often just repeating myself and frankly until I'm paid by Samsung, I'm better than that and lazy ****es who won't search, aren't worth my time.

Point proven, that was easy.

Oh dear lord...I found [MOD SNIP] picture fairly easy, it`s simple when you know exactly what your looking for....

You're some child Lewis, you really are. It has been obvious in your posts up until know but you've really shown how pathetic you are today.

Anyway, that's it from me, I don't like trying to debate with children, it gets you nowhere.

You're some child Lewis, you really are. It has been obvious in your posts up until know but you've really shown how pathetic you are today.

Anyway, that's it from me, I don't like trying to debate with children, it gets you nowhere.

Its called a sense of humour man. Some times this place can be as tight as a ducks arse, god forbid there be a little bit of craic....go on MOD give him an infraction, he called me a child...good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Oh dear lord....
    :confused:
    Not very helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement