Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

K09 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Not very helpful

Actually I am fairly helpful, I always try my best to help anyone out, from time to time there`s the odd one that`s a bit to much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Being honest, it doesn't take much to spare 5 mins to give people a bit of help and just because it was asked before, so what... it is a thread about the Galaxy S, I have found this thread to be clearly rude and unwelcoming as a new person. I rarely ever post in it and to be honest, can't see that changing.. Noone should have to post a question and then get flamed for it.

Not everyone is able to use ROM's or want to, why not try and be nice and help other users. Being nice and helpful is good manners and doesn't cost anything. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Debating buying this phone second hand for about 350 dollars.. "5 month old i9000".
    But what's the story with GPS? If it's not up to scratch, I can't get it..

I have the phone now for almost nine months. I've found GPS to be spot on from the start and I've updated it quite a bit. Never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

ThisRegard wrote: »
    GPS is fine as it is, I've never had issues with accuracy or finding satellites.

Lewis, you're constantly sneering at peoples genuine questions, such a your Oh dear lord comment a couple of posts back. If people don't want to, don't know how, our never heard of modding their phone they're not inferior to those who do.

8 months ago I hadn't a clue what an android phone was, but with a lot of help from Lewis and Co. I can now mod my phone and get the best out of it.
    Lewis 's sense of humour is not to everybody's taste, but no better man to help when it's half one in the morning and you think you've bricked your phone.It's simple, before you ask a question you should use the search option. It's just lazy not to.
    Oh and Lewis before you ask I'm not coming on to you :D

angel01 wrote: »
    Being honest, it doesn't take much to spare 5 mins to give people a bit of help and just because it was asked before, so what... it is a thread about the Galaxy S, I have found this thread to be clearly rude and unwelcoming as a new person. I rarely ever post in it and to be honest, can't see that changing.. Noone should have to post a question and then get flamed for it.

Not everyone is able to use ROM's or want to, why not try and be nice and help other users. Being nice and helpful is good manners and doesn't cost anything. :)

Oh jaysus, your acting like I killed his dog or something, it also does`nt take much to spare 5 minutes to search first, the info is there..
    I remember when I first found this thread and I did`nt find it rude or unwelcoming, in fact I think I`ve blended in here fairly nicely.
    Flamed, I`ve no idea where that term came from but I did`nt "flame" him, if I want to "flame" someone you`ll know about it, anyways this is the last I`m talking about this, lets try and keep it about the phone...

I'm with Lewis on this one. If people don't want to search for the answer, they obviously don't care enough. A year after the phones release, almost every question about it has been answered somewhere, and an awful lot of those, in the thread.

I used to post loads, giving support to new users, but I've stopped because I'm often just repeating myself and frankly until I'm paid by Samsung, I'm better than that and lazy ****es who won't search, aren't worth my time.
    I read an entire thread on xda developers about issues with GPS.. But they were talking about phones made last October. That's why I said my potential phone is 5 months old and was wondering if anyone knew if the issue was still there.
    I really don't have the time to be going looking at every detail for every possible phone I could be buy.. That's what boards.ie is for. You ask questions and receive answers. If someone doesn't want to answer, that's fine but bltching about it is fuking stupid.
    bandit197 wrote: »
    I have the phone now for almost nine months. I've found GPS to be spot on from the start and I've updated it quite a bit. Never had an issue.
    Good to hear. Thanks.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    8 months ago I hadn't a clue what an android phone was, but with a lot of help from Lewis and Co. I can now mod my phone and get the best out of it.
    Lewis 's sense of humour is not to everybody's taste, but no better man to help when it's half one in the morning and you think you've bricked your phone.It's simple, before you ask a question you should use the search option. It's just lazy not to.
    Oh and Lewis before you ask I'm not coming on to you :D

Ah darn, I was hoping you where....:( lol
    I read an entire thread on xda developers about issues with GPS.. But they were talking about phones made last October. That's why I said my potential phone is 5 months old and was wondering if anyone knew if the issue was still there.
    I really don't have the time to be going looking at every detail for every possible phone I could be buy.. That's what boards.ie is for. You ask questions and receive answers. If someone doesn't want to answer, that's fine but bltching about it is fuking stupid.

Good to hear. Thanks.

There`s nothing wrong with asking questions, as long as you search before hand, when people don`t search and just put up questions that could possibly have been answered already, just clogs up the thread with pointless posts.
    I know searching in a pain in the Yahoo, but the one thing I try to do is, try to think of a keyword or very generic description that`s bound to trigger some key tag words, e.g when I`m looking for some "pass time activity" I know I can find it with one word search....;)

I think you'll find that this clogs up a thread with pointless posts a whole lot quicker than ignoring a post.. If you don't want to answer something, ignore it. Critizing it just adds more pointless posts.
    You're the most active person in this thread with 261 posts.. That tells me that you can't ignore anything. Yea, you're bringing a lot of good advice to the thread but that's not a carte blanche to question other users.. And ironically, add more of the pointless posts you don't like.

I think you'll find that this clogs up a thread with pointless posts a whole lot quicker than ignoring a post.. If you don't want to answer something, ignore it. Critizing it just adds more pointless posts.
    You're the most active person in this thread with 261 posts.. That tells me that you can't ignore anything. Yea, you're bringing a lot of good advice to the thread but that's not a carte blanche to question other users.. And ironically, add more of the pointless posts you don't like.

I know one thing I can ignore....enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

lewis wrote: »
    I know one thing I can ignore....enough!

lewis did you get the sending and receiving of picture messages with the galaxy sorted?i remember you saying you had a problem with it.i still cant do it with mine properly.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    lewis did you get the sending and receiving of picture messages with the galaxy sorted?i remember you saying you had a problem with it.i still cant do it with mine properly.

Yeah and no, lol

It seems to send pictures when ever it likes, but the majority of the times yeah it works, but I think its something to do with the crap 3G reception I get...

What`s your APN settings, we can compare?

Yeah and no, lol

It seems to send pictures when ever it likes, but the majority of the times yeah it works, but I think its something to do with the crap 3G reception I get...

ive been using 2 apns.it worked as in it did it when it liked.now it doesnt at all.

METEOR DATA

name
    meteor data

apn
    data.mymeteor.ie
    proxy

port

username
    my
    password

server

mmsc

mms proxy

mms port

mcc
    mnc
    auth type
    pap
    apn type
    internet

METEOR MMS

name
    meteor mms

apn
    mmx.mymeteor.ie

proxy

port

username
    my

password

server

mmsc
    http://mms.mymeteor.ie

mms proxy

mms port
    mcc
    mnc
    auth type
    pap
    apn type
    mms

Yeah and no, lol

what are yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Receiving mms pictures is just impossible for me :confused: no reason at all for not receiving them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Have had my Galaxy since last November. Has been working well but in the last few days, every time someone phones me, it comes up on the display as someone phoning me but makes no sound, so I KEEP missing calls. And my phons isn't on silent or anything :mad:, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Receiving mms pictures is just impossible for me :confused: no reason at all for not receiving them
    Me to.its never been right with my galaxy.if anyone has a galaxy is with meteor and sending and getting picture messages isnt a problem could u post your apn settings please.

what are yours?

Well I`m with O2 so....

Who are you with?
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Have had my Galaxy since last November. Has been working well but in the last few days, every time someone phones me, it comes up on the display as someone phoning me but makes no sound, so I KEEP missing calls. And my phons isn't on silent or anything :mad:, any ideas?

You got a tone set for either your ring tones in general or for each contact?

Have you been doing anything with it like flashing or what not?

I know mine can be odd at the best of times, although I have a tone for each contact and then a tone for unknown callers, most of the time the main tone rings and not the tone I have set for each contact, if I set general tone to nothing, the phone does`nt use a ringtone when someone calls....

Me to.its never been right with my galaxy.if anyone has a galaxy is with meteor and sending and getting picture messages isnt a problem could u post your apn settings please.

Im with three. I can send them and its fine. Just receiving is :mad:

Im with three. I can send them and its fine. Just receiving is :mad:

Do you have auto retrieve messages on?

What message app are you using?

Do you have auto retrieve messages on?

What message app are you using?

I didn't actually. I presume you meant auto retrieve mms is the stock app?

I'm using go sms pro

• Advertisement

I didn't actually. I presume you meant auto retrieve mms is the stock app?

I'm using go sms pro

Just in the app you use...as well there`s some setting in there as well about free/restricted...can`t remember its there some where, set her to free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Video Question - whats the easiest way to take a video from my SGS and save it locally to my laptop. I know I can do it over the net to photobucket etc, but I need to save the file locally to my machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

plug it in to lap top and drag 'n drop

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Video Question - whats the easiest way to take a video from my SGS and save it locally to my laptop. I know I can do it over the net to photobucket etc, but I need to save the file locally to my machine.

You could try Kies......:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You could try Kies......:rolleyes:

just downloaded it there, and god its shyte. How do i get video of my phone on this?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    just downloaded it there, and god its shyte. How do i get video of my phone on this?

Here what you do with Kies, BURN IT, lol

Once you hooked your phone up to laptop select mass storage, I`m guessing your not on a custom ROM, in windows explorer find you video and drag it where ever, :)

Well I`m with O2 so....

i have a question about mms in general.do you need 2g/3g to be on in order to get mms messages?
    if you do then doesnt that eat into your data allowance etc having it on all the time?

i have a question about mms in general.do you need 2g/3g to be on in order to get mms messages?
    if you do then doesnt that eat into your data allowance etc having it on all the time?

Yes.

I usually have it on if I`m on the move, its only when it uses 3G then you pay for it, which ever you providers daily charges are.

BUT, when I use Gmaps I`ve checked my balance before and after and most times its the same, some times it seems to charge a little, I don`t know......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fcuk me, plugged the phone into the laptop to launch Kies and see if I could update to Gingerbread...... instead I was told there was a Kies update and 60mins later the computer has barely recovered from a severe crash.
    Finally got it back running and have the phone plugged in to be greeted with a message that the computer is searching for the hardware necessary to connect to the phone.

I've now been shown the following message:

"Windows was unable to install your CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM)"

What the hell? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Kies updated fine for me in 10 mins (Windows 7)

No gingerbread though.....

• Advertisement

Installed the necessary drivers and now Kies doesn't start.
    You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

EDIT: finally working but no update for Gingerbread showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

kc56 wrote: »
    Kies updated fine for me in 10 mins (Windows 7)

No gingerbread though.....

Ah nuts. I was getting excited when I saw the update.

Kies is great, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭shmeee

Is anyone else having problems connecting to the internet on their phone...

I have 3g and all the apps, facebook, twitter etc. connect but internet browser wont load, any ideas?.. Friend with same phone running Darky's 10.1 also has problem..

Is it a meteor problem?

shmeee wrote: »

I have 3g and all the apps, facebook, twitter etc. connect but internet browser wont load, any ideas?.. Friend with same phone running Darky's 10.1 also has problem..

Is it a meteor problem?

Nope all good here.

Have you checked all the basic`s? Sometimes its the simplest things...

Nope all good here.

Have you checked all the basic`s? Sometimes its the simplest things...

I have checked all the settings, still no join, just says "webpage not available" works on the wi-fi alright so the problem is with the data connection but every other app connects and is working...

Edit... Just looked up meteor's twitter account and it seems other's are having the same problem when using a browser even though apps work...

The internet browser on mine started having issues with a few sites like the Irish Times one a few days ago. The browser would freeze and then crash.
    I'm now using Skyfire as a browser. It's not brilliant but I haven't had the same issues with some of the sites since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Ok, guys, need some serious help here. My SGS is one of those select few with a dodgy bootloader, meaning I can't enter download or recovery modes with the three-button combo.

I have it rooted and Oclf applied. It's on 2.2 (JPA, I believe)

Anyway, installed a couple of apps today... Phone was lagging a lot, so I decided to reboot.

It's now stuck in a boot loop. I've tried everything obvious (ie obvious to a non-modder, like press and holds all combinations of buttons, remove battery and sim etc.)

Any suggestions, pretty please?????!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

plys wrote: »
    Ok, guys, need some serious help here. My SGS is one of those select few with a dodgy bootloader, meaning I can't enter download or recovery modes with the three-button combo.

I have it rooted and Oclf applied. It's on 2.2 (JPA, I believe)

Anyway, installed a couple of apps today... Phone was lagging a lot, so I decided to reboot.

It's now stuck in a boot loop. I've tried everything obvious (ie obvious to a non-modder, like press and holds all combinations of buttons, remove battery and sim etc.)

Any suggestions, pretty please?????!!!!!

Have you left it for a while with the battery out ?
    What button combo are you using for recovery ?

You might want to start looking at buying or making a jig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Ste- wrote: »
    Have you left it for a while with the battery out ?
    What button combo are you using for recovery ?

You might want to start looking at buying or making a jig.

Thanks for the reply Ste-. I'll leave it with battery out for a while and try again. I have removed the battery several times but not for more than 30seconds.

Not keen to do the jig thing... not sure why. Can anyone explain what exactly the jig will do to the phone? apart from getting it to enter download mode?

More significantly, will i need to flash a new bootloader?

Oh, and I tried VolDown+Home+Power, VolUp+Home+Power, VolDown+VolUp+Home+Power, VolDown+Home+Power while tapping Menu SoftKey.
    Prior to any of this happening, i had been toying with the idea of flashing a new ROM, until i discovered i couldn't use the three button combo thingy..

plys wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Ste-. I'll leave it with battery out for a while and try again. I have removed the battery several times but not for more than 30seconds.

Not keen to do the jig thing... not sure why. Can anyone explain what exactly the jig will do to the phone? apart from getting it to enter download mode?

Some one here had ran into problems and said they had left the battery out for about 30 minutes and they where able to get into download mode.

The jig just forces the phone into download mode.

But once your in download mod man just flash a ROM vis Odin, start off clean.

BTW I`m thinking of flashing this ROM has anyone tried it?

Some one here had ran into problems and said they had left the battery out for about 30 minutes and they where able to get into download mode.

The jig just forces the phone into download mode.

But once your in download mod man just flash a ROM vis Odin, start off clean.

BTW I`m thinking of flashing this ROM has anyone tried it?

What lewis says is spot on.
    Was thinking of getting a jig just in case anything went wrong.

Once you get download mode jsut flash a new rom.
    Or upgrade/downgrade the froyo/gingerbread bootloaders.

will the samsung galaxy take a 32gb microsdhc card?i was thinking of buying one just want to make sure first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

will the samsung galaxy take a 32gb microsdhc card?i was thinking of buying one just want to make sure first.

Hey,
    Looks like it does but be careful with some of the ebay ones if thats the way you are going.

This link says its supported

This link warns of the fake cards.

They do yeah.
    I tested a 32gb in mine, it does work but I found it too much so have 16gb atm.
    still got 5 gb free on that.

As stated above be careful when buying, I'd advise going to a reptuable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Is it a meteor problem?

I'm having the same problem, stock browser not connecting! Tried all the other browsers but firefox is the only one that allows me connectivity, and its not exactly the best. Apps connecting fine and it works fine on wifi. Also on Meteor.
    Any ideas?

Walnutsink wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem, stock browser not connecting! Tried all the other browsers but firefox is the only one that allows me connectivity, and its not exactly the best. Apps connecting fine and it works fine on wifi. Also on Meteor.
    Any ideas?

Skyfire or Opera won't connect for me...

Only Dolphin... A few lads I know having the same problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Tis a bit strange alright, tried the usual reboot, battery out etc... But nothing, can't seem to find any comment from meteor either and last time I called them I was on hold for 20 minutes so don't fancy that either. Are you running stock ROM? I have 2.3.3 JVO from samfirmware.com which I've had for a while but it only stopped working yesterday!

Walnutsink wrote: »
    Tis a bit strange alright, tried the usual reboot, battery out etc... But nothing, can't seem to find any comment from meteor either and last time I called them I was on hold for 20 minutes so don't fancy that either. Are you running stock ROM? I have 2.3.3 JVO from samfirmware.com which I've had for a while but it only stopped working yesterday!

I'm running 2.3.3 with Darkys 10.1EE... Other lads I know are running are running the same as me and it is working for them but then for some others it isn't... Seems very odd...

I got a call from a friend in Dublin asking me how to fix his internet and then when I went on to check was mine working I realised it wasn't either...

I tried re-installing all the browser apps, in-putted the data settings again, restarted the phone several times... It's coming and going on Dolphin browser for me at moment and others are a no go..

I don't use browsers much but it still annoying me...

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Skyfire or Opera won't connect for me...

Only Dolphin... A few lads I know having the same problem...

Also couldn't browse the last couple of days. Didn't think anything of the posts recommending other browsers as both stock and skyfire weren't working. Tried dolphin, no luck and as a last resort tried firefox and it worked. WTF:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement