Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Also couldn't browse the last couple of days. Didn't think anything of the posts recommending other browsers as both stock and skyfire weren't working. Tried dolphin, no luck and as a last resort tried firefox and it worked. WTF:confused:

Surely we can't be reduced to having to use firefox! Has anyone tried re-flashing their phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

What are ROM`s are you all on?

I just went to JVQ and browser and everything else seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

lewis wrote: »

I'm guessing this is a meteor problem as any reports all have meteor.
    My net works fine here on O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

DrZeuss wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    will the samsung galaxy take a 32gb microsdhc card?i was thinking of buying one just want to make sure first.

Hey,
    Looks like it does but be careful with some of the ebay ones if thats the way you are going.

This link says its supported

This link warns of the fake cards.
    Ok thanks guys.I'm going with amazon.com and id say it will be sandisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Ste- wrote: »
    What lewis says is spot on.
    Was thinking of getting a jig just in case anything went wrong..

I would definitely advise it after this experience. I assume that yours doesn't allow 3-button combo either?

Once you get download mode jsut flash a new rom.
    Or upgrade/downgrade the froyo/gingerbread bootloaders.

Using ODIN? which file is the bootloader?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Are you with Meteor? Were you having the problem before you changed?

plys wrote: »
    I would definitely advise it after this experience. I assume that yours doesn't allow 3-button combo either?

Using ODIN? which file is the bootloader?

I have used this to upgrade my bootloaders. I went from gingerbread to froyo for Insanity CM. Once you ahve the base you can install any custom rom then providing you have the correct bootloaders.

I can access teh 3 button combo but having the jig would give me an extra piece of mind.

Did you get it working in teh end ?

Did you get it working in teh end ?

Will have to dust down the auld soldering iron - mightn't get to it until the weekend at this rate.. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

On the stock browser on JVQ now. Anytime I type in www.boards.ie it converts to touch.boards.ie and I get a mobile version of boards (or something)
    How to I stop this happening?
    It doesn't happen on other browsers

G1032 wrote: »
    On the stock browser on JVQ now. Anytime I type in www.boards.ie it converts to touch.boards.ie and I get a mobile version of boards (or something)

I`m finding JVQ fairly good, feck stock anything, just use another one, Skyfire for me, but I don`t do to much browsing on my phone.

• Advertisement

I`m finding JVQ fairly good, feck stock anything, just use another one, Skyfire for me, but I don`t do to much browsing on my phone.

Grand. Ya liking JVQ myself. Never used stock browser before but the JVQ one is the fastest browser I've come across yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I'm on JVO with hardcore speedmod kernal (k15-t8) installed via SGS Kernal Flasher (great yoke - from the Market).
    Its fast, stable, it all works.
    This is the first firmware I've had on this phone where the standard RFS filesystem (formerly known as "laggy" ;)) gives a smoother user experience than EXT4.

FWIW I'm on JVO with hardcore speedmod kernal (k15-t8) installed via SGS Kernal Flasher (great yoke - from the Market).
    Its fast, stable, it all works.
    This is the first firmware I've had on this phone where the standard RFS filesystem (formerly known as "laggy" ;)) gives a smoother user experience than EXT4.

Sounds interesting. I like the Voodoo Kernel though because of Voodoo Sound.

So you're just on stock JVO with the Speedmod kernel??

I`m not a fan of speedmod, always seems to be something that`s going to go wrong with it, too many versions of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

So you're just on stock JVO with the Speedmod kernel??

Yes but I rooted it first with AFAICR a Chainfire kernal via Odin

Here G1032, how are you finding the battery on JVQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Guys, I'm on JVP, Dark Core 2.7.3, but i'm getting the odd random restart, about once a day, happened to it about 5 times in the last week. I only know its happening as I usually hear the Samsung booting tune and look and the phone is booting and showing the blue "S" animation, it then scans for media but it doesn't need the Sim card pin.

Is there anything I can flash without wiping, I don't want to wipe as I'm too busy atm

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Guys, I'm on JVP, Dark Core 2.7.3, but i'm getting the odd random restart, about once a day, happened to it about 5 times in the last week. I only know its happening as I usually hear the Samsung booting tune and look and the phone is booting and showing the blue "S" animation, it then scans for media but it doesn't need the Sim card pin.

Is there anything I can flash without wiping, I don't want to wipe as I'm too busy atm

My guess is a no wipe won`t do you any good, I`d say your better off doing a clean install, only way to be sure you won`t have them problems.

I`d recommend JVQ, only thing I`m not to sure of is the battery life, but as usual it`s early...

Here G1032, how are you finding the battery on JVQ?
    Well I unplugged it this morning and it was at 98%. It took about 40 minutes or so to drop to 97. But it has dropped fairly quickly since. I have no actual data of course but as of now I would say that the battery on JVP was better. I'm going to give it a few days though to properly test it. How do you find it?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I'd say a clean install. Flash again via Odin. And don't flash a theme until after a few days. Themes can cause a lot of issues IMO.

Have you got the paid Titanium Backup?? It's the best money I ever spent!!!! Restores the apps in no time at all.
    Then I have Folder Organiser to organise the apps on my homescreens. Ti Backup just saves the folders too so it's just a matter of adding a couple of folder organiser widgets to the homescreens.
    Doesn't take p!ssing time to get all set up again after flashing a new ROM.

Well I unplugged it this morning and it was at 98%. It took about 40 minutes or so to drop to 97. But it has dropped fairly quickly since. I have no actual data of course but as of now I would say that the battery on JVP was better. I'm going to give it a few days though to properly test it. How do you find it?

All tough I`m still on the first charge, I have`nt done that much with it and battery stats at first can`t be trusted, but I`m at 9.5 hrs @ 35%, I thinks its a bit fast, but the speed is stable, I have all animations on and it flies.

All tough I`m still on the first charge, I have`nt done that much with it and battery stats at first can`t be trusted, but I`m at 9.5 hrs @ 35%, I thinks its a bit fast, but the speed is stable, I have all animations on and it flies.

Ya. It's really fast. Not even a hint of lag so far. Needs to be running for a few days though before a proper judgement can be made.
    I don't care about the battery to be honest. I'll charge it every day at some stage anyway. Best thing for these batteries is to keep them as fully charged as possible. When I get in from work I'll plug it in, even if it's at 70 or 80 percent.
    Have you tested GPS?? I haven't done so yet.

Ya. It's really fast. Not even a hint of lag so far. Needs to be running for a few days though before a proper judgement can be made.
    I don't care about the battery to be honest. I'll charge it every day at some stage anyway. Best thing for these batteries is to keep them as fully charged as possible. When I get in from work I'll plug it in, even if it's at 70 or 80 percent.
    Have you tested GPS?? I haven't done so yet.

30 metre lock in doors using wifi on Gmaps.

1 sat lock with GPS test in doors using wifi.

I`ve yet to try it out and about on 3G

30 metre lock in doors using wifi on Gmaps.

1 sat lock with GPS test in doors using wifi.

I`ve yet to try it out and about on 3G

Grand. I'll test tomorrow.
    How do you get GMaps to shown the 30 metre lock?? Mine just shows a blue arrow. Nothing about accuracy.

Edit. Got it. Accurate to 30 meters. Thats with WiFi and indoors.

This isn't a rom problem, boards recently upgraded to a touch forum based "thingy"
    If you scroll down the end of a forum thread there should be a link to load the origingal version of boards.
    It checks your user agent afaik knows you have a touch based phone so loads that version.

• Advertisement

Anyone using Google Plus??

Some one here had ran into problems and said they had left the battery out for about 30 minutes and they where able to get into download mode.

The jig just forces the phone into download mode.

But once your in download mod man just flash a ROM vis Odin, start off clean.

BTW I`m thinking of flashing this ROM has anyone tried it?

i flashed this last night.its very smooth and i like it but it hasnt got swype.and i tried different versions but they all say trial expired etc i even registered and that one wouldnt install properly.
    also im finding remains of darkys rom on the phone as well(which i was previously on)shouldnt it have wiped the whole lot when i flashed it?
    if not how do i wipe the phone completely before flashing.?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone using Google Plus??

I am and got the app too!! :D

i flashed this last night.its very smooth and i like it but it hasnt got swype.and i tried different versions but they all say trial expired etc i even registered and that one wouldnt install properly.
    also im finding remains of darkys rom on the phone as well(which i was previously on)shouldnt it have wiped the whole lot when i flashed it?
    if not how do i wipe the phone completely before flashing.?

thanks.

I read that it`s fast, but a little heavy on the battery?

If you did it through Odin it would have wiped it.
    Raoul wrote: »
    I am and got the app too!! :D

What`s your name on there, I have`nt a clue what to do in it? lol

BTW JVQ modem sucks for me, barely had a lock on me 2700 metres and 7 sats in GPS test, bye bye, lol

I read that it`s fast, but a little heavy on the battery?

If you did it through Odin it would have wiped it.

i did it through odin.but there are still darky folders on my phone.and i find the battery ok so far.

• Advertisement

i did it through odin.but there are still darky folders on my phone.and i find the battery ok so far.

What`s ok battery life for you, 1.5 day?

Just delete everything from your SD cards, make sure to disable that lagfix!

What`s ok battery life for you, 1.5 day?

Just delete everything from your SD cards, make sure to disable that lagfix!

Just Under 1.5 day.

God I hate MMS on this yolk!!!:mad::mad:

BTW JVQ modem sucks for me, barely had a lock on me 2700 metres and 7 sats in GPS test, bye bye, lol

Ya. I'm back on the ZSJV5 modem.

Ya. I'm back on the ZSJV5 modem.

That one works good for you yeah?

If after this charge cycle and I get around 12 hours I`m losing JVQ, I like the speed but this battery drain is mad.

That one works good for you yeah?

If after this charge cycle and I get around 12 hours I`m losing JVQ, I like the speed but this battery drain is mad.

Try XXJVE or ZSJV5. Either will help with the battery drain. XXJVE possibly a little better for battery.

Try XXJVE or ZSJV5. Either will help with the battery drain. XXJVE possibly a little better for battery.

I went back to JVE cause it was good for me on JVH, I still have to test it....

If no joy then I`m trying Galnet`s ROM..

God I hate MMS on this yolk!!!:mad::mad:

My mms' arent working at all:mad:

I had it working ages ago and I`m using the same APN settings, its handy to have when someone sends you the odd picture, not everyone has access to e-mail on there phones.

I went back to JVE cause it was good for me on JVH, I still have to test it....

If no joy then I`m trying Galnet`s ROM..

I don't believe this. Flashed JVE before I went to bed last night.
    Battery was at 95%
    Woke this morning and it was at 84%. Android OS caused 32% of that drain.
    AAGGGGGHHHHH
    This ROM is so fast but I can't put up with drain like that. I might go back to JVH even.

Edit: Back on JVH now. Just got to restore apps and I'm away again. Damn, but JVQ was smooth and fast. Too good to be true.

• Advertisement

I don't believe this. Flashed JVE before I went to bed last night.
    Battery was at 95%
    Woke this morning and it was at 84%. Android OS caused 32% of that drain.
    AAGGGGGHHHHH
    This ROM is so fast but I can't put up with drain like that. I might go back to JVH even.

Even tough my Android OS/System usually stays below 8%, sometimes, I still seem to be getting a fair bit of drainage, I had it fully charged last night then turned wifi/3G off, just left it on standby, that was at 1 ish I think now its at 86% and 1H46M?????

Even tough my Android OS/System usually stays below 8%, sometimes, I still seem to be getting a fair bit of drainage, I had it fully charged last night then turned wifi/3G off, just left it on standby, that was at 1 ish I think now its at 86% and 1H46M?????

Ya. My WiFi + 3G were off too. I wonder would it have anything to do with JVE?? On other ROMs though JVE has always got best battery life for me.

Ya. My WiFi + 3G were off too. I wonder would it have anything to do with JVE?? On other ROMs though JVE has always got best battery life for me.

Beats the hell out of me, better pick up soon cause I`m ready to flash something, as well with this some out I`ll be having a few drinks and the last thing I need is to flash when I`m dunk, lol.
    I`ll give it a few days...

are you with meteor?
    i rang them thursday and they gave me the settings.mine works well now.
    ill post them if your with meteor.

Beats the hell out of me, better pick up soon cause I`m ready to flash something, as well with this some out I`ll be having a few drinks and the last thing I need is to flash when I`m dunk, lol.
    I`ll give it a few days...

How's battery today?

are you with meteor?
    i rang them thursday and they gave me the settings.mine works well now.
    ill post them if your with meteor.
    Cheers, but I am with three.

The jig just forces the phone into download mode.

But once your in download mod man just flash a ROM vis Odin, start off clean.
    What lewis says is spot on.
    Was thinking of getting a jig just in case anything went wrong.

Once you get download mode jsut flash a new rom.
    Or upgrade/downgrade the froyo/gingerbread bootloaders.

Ok, so I ordered a jig on ebay (for a fiver) on Thursday, got a mail from the seller saying that because Friday was a Portuguese Bank Holiday, that he wouldn't be shipping it til Monday. Got rage.

Then I decided to have a bash at making the jig myself. Bought resistors in Maplins, 'deconstructed' an old car charger, and got to work. It's by no means pretty, but it did the trick.

Got into download mode, flashed JVP from samfirmwares, and Hey Presto! I can now use the three button combo! (I flashed three files, so I assume that means I flashed new bootloader..?)

Anyway, thanks for your help. Now that I can easily get into download mode, I may just become a serial flasher!! ;)

Oh, one major lesson I learned was to ensure all contacts etc were backed up - which I had done to a certain extent. I did get completely burned in that all my apps were gone and have to be downloaded again. I know paid apps will stay on your google account, but is there a way to back all apps up, or even just keep a log of all your free apps??

Thanks again lewis and Ste- :D:D

plys wrote: »

Oh, one major lesson I learned was to ensure all contacts etc were backed up - which I had done to a certain extent. I did get completely burned in that all my apps were gone and have to be downloaded again. I know paid apps will stay on your google account, but is there a way to back all apps up, or even just keep a log of all your free apps??

Thanks again lewis and Ste- :D:D

Once you have your phone rooted you can use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. I would suggest buying the paid version for one click restoration of all your apps. Its a great app.
    As for your contacts....you should save them on your gmail account. No need to back up then as they will be on the google server. Set your phone to show google contacts only. Forget about storing them on the sim or phone.
    You can they export the contacts from Gmail to your PC as a .csv file so you'll have another copy too.

How's battery today?

It`s actually getting better just checked it this morning and it was just over a day and it was around the 1/4 mark, so yeah things seem to be picking up, I`m really impressed by the speed of JVQ, this is the 4th day and no real signs of lag, even after a nights sleep.
    Once you have your phone rooted you can use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. I would suggest buying the paid version for one click restoration of all your apps. Its a great app.
    As for your contacts....you should save them on your gmail account. No need to back up then as they will be on the google server. Set your phone to show google contacts only. Forget about storing them on the sim or phone.
    You can they export the contacts from Gmail to your PC as a .csv file so you'll have another copy too.

I had an SMS back up app but there was no restore, so I had some texts on my gmail, is there a handy way to get them back onto my phone?

• Advertisement

It`s actually getting better just checked it this morning and it was just over a day and it was around the 1/4 mark, so yeah things seem to be picking up, I`m really impressed by the speed of JVQ, this is the 4th day and no real signs of lag, even after a nights sleep.

I was on the Darky Forum last night and someone recommended Boat Browser. Said it was faster than the stock one. So tried it out and it's pure class alright. Decided then to flash JVQ again. I can't get over the speed of it. Also flashed ZSJV5 modem and no battery drain with that.
    I had an SMS back up app but there was no restore, so I had some texts on my gmail, is there a handy way to get them back onto my phone?

I don't know to be honest. All I can recommend is this app to backup and restore sms in the future

Advertisement