Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

G1032 wrote: »
    I was on the Darky Forum last night and someone recommended Boat Browser. Said it was faster than the stock one. So tried it out and it's pure class alright. Decided then to flash JVQ again. I can't get over the speed of it. Also flashed ZSJV5 modem and no battery drain with that.

I don't know to be honest. All I can recommend is this app to backup and restore sms in the future

THAT`S the fecker, that was mentioned on XDA ages ago, I wrecked me brains trying to remember it but I could`nt find it, I knew it was some beginning with B, yeah it is fairly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    It`s actually getting better just checked it this morning and it was just over a day and it was around the 1/4 mark, so yeah things seem to be picking up, I`m really impressed by the speed of JVQ, this is the 4th day and no real signs of lag, even after a nights sleep.

Lewis
    Are you on an odexed or deodexed version of JVQ?

When renaming an app to delete it (by adding the 1 to the name) in Root Explorer do I also rename the .odex??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Flashed XXJVK and then CyanogenMod 7 a couple days ago, fallen in love with this phone again. :)

The swype apk installed from my Titanium backup doesn't work though and won't let me uninstall it, anyone have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nichololas wrote: »
    Flashed XXJVK and then CyanogenMod 7 a couple days ago, fallen in love with this phone again. :)

The swype apk installed from my Titanium backup doesn't work though and won't let me uninstall it, anyone have any ideas?

Rename it in system/app and reboot. Signup and get the latest Syype from their website.
    http://swypeinc.com/

Lewis
    Are you on an odexed or deodexed version of JVQ?

When renaming an app to delete it (by adding the 1 to the name) in Root Explorer do I also rename the .odex??

Deodexed man.

Hmmmmmm, lol I just rename the app, seems to have worked.

I don`t think I`ll be going to Galnet`s ROM, still is not exactly what I want, I was waiting for the update and from that, I said no. :(

BTW has anyone tried Crysis`s theme on JVQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Deodexed man.

I don`t think I`ll be going to Galnet`s ROM, still is not exactly what I want, I was waiting for the update and from that, I said no. :(

BTW has anyone tried Crysis`s theme on JVQ?

For some reason I cant rename these apps, says I dont have permission. :s Any help Lewis?

I haven't been here in ages, nothing to flash that looks like it is going to be an improvement on darkys ee.

Raoul wrote: »
    For some reason I cant rename these apps, says I dont have permission. :s Any help Lewis?

I haven't been here in ages, nothing to flash that looks like it is going to be an improvement on darkys ee.

I just had a look in mine and seems that all the permissions have 4 check marks...read column for all are checked and write-user is checked, are your the same?

Ever since I put Swype back in it seems its just the worst, its prediction is really bad, it was never like this, at the very first install I did have the check mark in keyboard settings for Swype, but its not there now, the install just does`nt seem right?

Where do you see the permissions?

Where do you see the permissions?

Long press them.

Long press them.

:confused::confused:

Im completely confused. Like I am on the homescreen, where do I go to from now.

I tried going into astro file manager, then the app's file and long pressing on that, thats way off.

Apologies for the retardedness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

:confused::confused:

Im completely confused. Like I am on the homescreen, where do I go to from now.

I tried going into astro file manager, then the app's file and long pressing on that, thats way off.

Apologies for the retardedness

Use root explorer.
    Then browse to the folder, make sure it's set to r/w.
    Then long press on a file and go to permissions.

Ste- wrote: »
    Use root explorer.
    Then browse to the folder, make sure it's set to r/w.
    Then long press on a file and go to permissions.

Is there a free root explorer?

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Lots of great info on here. I hope that some day I'll work through it all, but its a daunting prospect. I think it'll be like going back to Uni again :-)

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Lots of great info on here. I hope that some day I'll work through it all, but its a daunting prospect. I think it'll be like going back to Uni again :-)

Well man, if you can`t find it after a search, ask away and we`ll try and help you out :)

Deodexed man.

Ya. I'm on odexed. Most .apk have the odex file listed too. I've just gone and deleted the .odex too. You won't see that on the deodexed.

Super Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

Does any body has information about latest stock PDA/PHONE/CSC and product code for Irish O2?

I've reflashed my O2 device couple a months ago, and trying to find what version should be.

Found on XDA, that could be like this:
    Ireland (O2): --> PDA: JPE / PHONE: JPP / CSC: JP8

But I have:
    Product code: GT-I9000HKD02I
    PDA: JS8 / PHONE: JQ1 /CSC: JP7

Thanks

Redwid wrote: »
    Does any body has information about latest stock PDA/PHONE/CSC and product code for Irish O2?

I've reflashed my O2 device couple a months ago, and trying to find what version should be.

But I have:

Thanks

No idea I'm afraid. Are you sending it back for repair or what, and need the correct firmware?

But I have:

Thanks

Have you seen this I`d say its `s in there, like G1032 said what are you planning on?

• Advertisement

Have you seen this I`d say its `s in there, like G1032 said what are you planning on?
    I'd like to use CheckFusDownloader for checking/downloading stock firmware. Not for repair or replacing, just for me :-)

I'd like to use CheckFusDownloader for checking/downloading stock firmware. Not for repair or replacing, just for me :-)

I haven't come across or used CheckFusDownloader before but on samfirmware.com they have a whole load of stock firmwares that you can flash via Odin if you want.

I haven't come across or used CheckFusDownloader before but on samfirmware.com they have a whole load of stock firmwares that you can flash via Odin if you want.
    Thanks, I know where to get firmwares :-)

But really know what is latest for O2.

Why stock tough? Of all the ROM`s out there...

May be somebody have seen somewhere in O2 shops SGS as a demo device? Vodafone has it on Grafton Str.

Actually, I don't need latest one. Just any that from O2.

For some reason I can`t view received MMS, yes you read right I think I might have it working.
    I sent it to myself so I can see the sent picture, but when received I only see the text that`s wth it and not the picture, any ideas??
    I`m using Handcent.
    After I get the MMS i get a text from O2 saying..You`ve been sent a media message from blah blah that your mobile does`nt support, View it at (url) by typing your mobile number and pin???
    The is a first for me

Edit: I tried another picture and I was able to send it to myself, also the missus sent a picture from her iphone, but the quality was crap when I got it, but I think I figured out why I was`nt getting any MMS, I flashed a different modem, I was on JVE, now I`m on JPG, I`m sure I tried JPG before and it was`nt great but that was JVP, I`m on JVQ now, maybe the two work better together, JPG and JVQ?

I flashed a different modem, I was on JVE, now I`m on JPG, I`m sure I tried JPG before and it was`nt great but that was JVP, I`m on JVQ now, maybe the two work better together, JPG and JVQ?

Have you not tried ZSJV5 yet?

Has anyone tried Juwe's ROM
    If so, what is it like?

Actuall forget I even asked. It seems it's littered with bugs. What a pile of rubbish.

Have you not tried ZSJV5 yet?

Ok I`m on JPG and its crap, barely picked up one satellite and Gmaps was brutal, but I seem to be having better luck with sending/receiving MMS, well at least when the person is in the same room as me, had not luck with receiving one from a few miles away.

From a full charge only on date connection I`m at 66% with 14.5Hrs, a little bit on the heavy side, so its either MMS or good GPS?
    Battery life seems good.

No man I have`nt tried it yet, but I`ll give it a go.

Are you still on JVQ? If so how`s it going for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lads since updating my phone to android 2.3 iv been having problems with 3G specifically if it drops or a program drops such as msn messager or rte news etc the programs (any of them that use the internet) wont be able to use 3g again even though the 3g icon is still showing on the status bar unless i restart the phone.

Any idea what this is or how to fix it ?

bizmark wrote: »
    Lads since updating my phone to android 2.3 iv been having problems with 3G specifically if it drops or a program drops such as msn messager or rte news etc the programs (any of them that use the internet) wont be able to use 3g again even though the 3g icon is still showing on the status bar unless i restart the phone.

Any idea what this is or how to fix it ?

Are you on a custom ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Just upgraded to Gingerbread via Kies. I'm on the Vodafone network. Must say phone is a lot faster & smoother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Are you on a custom ROM?

no just 2.3 standard no custom stuff

Just upgraded to Gingerbread via Kies. I'm on the Vodafone network. Must say phone is a lot faster & smoother

Hello Mr Schwarzenegger, its an honour, lol.

Try a custom ROM, then you`ll see real speed! ;)

No man I have`nt tried it yet, but I`ll give it a go.

Are you still on JVQ? If so how`s it going for you?

I'm still on JVQ and still can't fault it. No sign of lag yet. Better battery life than any other ROM i've flashed.

Still itching to flash something else but it's going to be very hard to find a faster, smoother ROM than this.

I'm getting 3G coverage in places that I only used to get 'G' or 'E' before since I flashed ZSJV5.
    Either its down to the modem or an amazing coincidence that Meteor improved their coverage at the same time I flashed ZSJV5

• Advertisement

I'm still on JVQ and still can't fault it. No sign of lag yet. Better battery life than any other ROM i've flashed.

Still itching to flash something else but it's going to be very hard to find a faster, smoother ROM than this.

I'm getting 3G coverage in places that I only used to get 'G' or 'E' before since I flashed ZSJV5.
    Either its down to the modem or an amazing coincidence that Meteor improved their coverage at the same time I flashed ZSJV5

Right I`ll give ZSJV5 a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm in Thailand on holidays, bought a sim card. It's weird, when I put it in it asked for a network key so I just pressed dismiss. Phone can receive calls but not make them. It says sim error. Don't understand how it can register with network and receive calls if it's locked. Anyone any ideas?

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm in Thailand on holidays, bought a sim card. It's weird, when I put it in it asked for a network key so I just pressed dismiss. Phone can receive calls but not make them. It says sim error. Don't understand how it can register with network and receive calls if it's locked. Anyone any ideas?

Could be a dodgy one, make sure you don`t catch anything over there, lol ;)

Right I`ll give ZSJV5 a go...

Well...........????????

Well...........????????

Lol, I have`nt gotten a chance to get out and try it yet, with all this overcast it`s hard to get a good reading, but the minute I do I`l slap it up here, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Peeps, I have a query...

Try a custom ROM, then you`ll see real speed! ;)
    Since a smartphone FAIL previously discussed, I've been on the leaked 2.3.4 from samfirmwares. What's the safest/best way to root 2.3.4? I wan't to start flashing custom ROM's but I really don't want the pain of having to re-download every app etc. I believe that once rooted, i'll be able to back everything up to titanium and restore relatively easily..

Thanks..

plys wrote: »
    Peeps, I have two queries...

1. (as asked here..).. Can someone with a Galaxy S on Vodafone please let me know what the correct APN settings are for Vodafone Live? I had an *incident* which forced me to do a hard reset and my APN settings were lost. Have found Vodafone Live! APN settings elsewhere on Boards, but now I have an annoying vodafone frame around every webpage I view in browser.

2. Since aforementioned *incident*, I've been on the leaked 2.3.4 from samfirmwares. What's the safest/best way to root 2.3.4? I wan't to start flashing custom ROM's but I really don't want the pain of having to re-download every app etc. I believe that once rooted, i'll be able to back everything up to titanium and restore relatively easily..

Thanks..

Have you tried the restore defaults in the APN settings?

Get Super User from the market.
    After this back up everything so there`s no more "incidents" then you`ll be good to go for more "leaked" ROM`s, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Have you tried the restore defaults in the APN settings?

Get Super User from the market.
    After this back up everything so there`s no more "incidents" then you`ll be good to go for more "leaked" ROM`s, lol.

Do you not need to be rooted before using super user (or am i just being dumb again!?

Do you not need to be rooted before using super user (or am i just being dumb again!?

This will root the hole outta ya!
    Last time I used it, it rooted me real good,ouch!:eek:

Ya. You need a rooted phone to use Superuser. It allows apps looking for root access to have root access.

Use CF-Root if you want to root your phone and backup apps with Titanium Backup before a ROM flash.

I would recommend buying the paid version of Titanium Backup too. Saves a lot of time and hassle. You can reinstall all your apps with just one click.

Ya. You need a rooted phone to use Superuser. It allows apps looking for root access to have root access.

Use CF-Root if you want to root your phone and backup apps with Titanium Backup before a ROM flash.

I would recommend buying the paid version of Titanium Backup too. Saves a lot of time and hassle. You can reinstall all your apps with just one click.

Does`nt DC give you root access?

Does`nt DC give you root access?
    I don't know. Worth a try sure. Post a link to it you. If he's on 2.3.4 he'll need DC 2.8

I don't know. Worth a try sure. Post a link to it you. If he's on 2.3.4 he'll need DC 2.8

If he`s flashing JVQ its already in it

If he`s flashing JVQ its already in it

No, don't think it is. He flashed a stock 2.3.4 from samfirmware.com.

@ plys
    Just root with CF-Root. Link provided in earlier post. That will only take a minute.

Every time I reboot my phone I get a woman`s voice saying "new message arrived" EVERY TIME!! But there`s no message, she`s also reading me text and people who call out, the whore, I can`t remember where the hell you go to mute the hoe!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement