Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Well I tried JV5 and it`s bad for me, barely 4 sats in GPS Test, 2900metre lock in Gmap and 1 sat in Angry GPS, so its not for me, going back to JPG, seems to work well with JVQ from what I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    Well I tried JV5 and it`s bad for me, barely 4 sats in GPS Test, 2900metre lock in Gmap and 1 sat in Angry GPS, so its not for me, going back to JPG, seems to work well with JVQ from what I can remember.
    I just turned on GPS Test there. I'm inside. 9 sats in view and 9 in use. 15 feet accuracy. Thats with JV5. If I start to have any trouble with that I'll try JPG.

G1032 wrote: »
    I just turned on GPS Test there. I'm inside. 9 sats in view and 9 in use. 15 feet accuracy. Thats with JV5. If I start to have any trouble with that I'll try JPG.

Your on JVQ,yeah?

What county you in man?

Your on JVQ,yeah?

What county you in man?
    Ya. JVQ. In Mayo.

Just flashed Semaphore JVQ 1.3.1 Kernel.
    Has VooDoo sound v10 (so does DC 2.9), but also allows for custom boot animations whereas DC 2.9 doesn't. The stock Galaxy S boot up was getting on my nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finally upgraded to Gingerbread via Kies a few minutes ago.
    Very happy so far. It's a massive improvement over Froyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Every time I reboot my phone I get a woman`s voice saying "new message arrived" EVERY TIME!! But there`s no message, she`s also reading me text and people who call out, the whore, I can`t remember where the hell you go to mute the hoe!!

lol yeah ya can turn her off in the text to speech settings its called driving mode......BUT ive no way to get your woman off from the phone reboot i also get the "new message arrived" bit at boot up i presumed it was from the rooting of the phone its like that ever since i first started rootin

EDIT: turning off the driving mode has seem to stop her on the start up too

how does one test sat's?

moggser wrote: »

how does one test sat's?
    GPS Test from the Market. Made by Chartcross Limited.

• Advertisement

i saw that thanks....

ok it seems me phone is stuck in a ****ing boot loop after flashing dark core 2.6 with the kernal flasher any idea's why

EDIT i flatched back to 2.2 and seems ok there noe thanks **** thought i was goin to have to reinstall something and that would of seriously furrowed me eyebrows

i saw that thanks....

ok it seems me phone is stuck in a ****ing boot loop after flashing dark core 2.6 with the kernal flasher any idea's why

EDIT i flatched back to 2.2 and seems ok there noe thanks **** thought i was goin to have to reinstall something and that would of seriously furrowed me eyebrows

I`ve never had a problem using SGS Kernel flasher, what where you on prior to flashing it?

i was on dark core 2.2 now i went back to it via odin...just previously five mins before i did the kernal flasher i updated the modem to jv5 would that of messed it up

i was on dark core 2.2 now i went back to it via odin...just previously five mins before i did the kernal flasher i updated the modem to jv5 would that of messed it up

No. That wouldn't have messed it up. I'm on JV5 modem and never had an issue flashing any kernel.
    I went from DC 2.9 yesterday to Semaphore kernel with SGS Kernel flasher and had no issue. Previoulsy I updated DC kernels with SGS flasher and it always went smoothly.

i wonder what caused it so....any other cool things i might need

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Evening all.

It's been a great weekend...Just got a present of a Galaxy S on Meteor (2.2, Standard rom XXJPP ) and am off to France tomorrow. Being a new to the whole smartphone business, a mate recommended to come here for some advice. Found this thread and worked my way through the first 20 pages or so. As advised, I've decided against rooting as I'm not really up to speed, and Custom ROMs are a different language for the moment.

As I'm kinda running short of time, I just wanted to ask, I wanted to use the GPS in France. I believe that you need to have a data connection on all the time? Is there an app that allows you to download the maps prior to travel, and therefore not need to use the data connection please? ( I'm a cheapskate ). Also, any recommendations as to what network to use over there?

Looking forward to getting through the rest of the thread when I get back

Thanks, and sorry for the probably very basic questions....

IWIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

iwishiknew wrote: »
    As I'm kinda running short of time, I just wanted to ask, I wanted to use the GPS in France. I believe that you need to have a data connection on all the time? Is there an app that allows you to download the maps prior to travel, and therefore not need to use the data connection please? ( I'm a cheapskate ). Also, any recommendations as to what network to use over there? IWIK

I have read that Google Maps introduced a recent update that allows for offline caching of Maps. Search "Google Maps Android Offline". I didn't pay much attention - I think it downloads data for 10-15 miles around your location so it seems limited. Plus it doesn't do directions in offline mode merely acts as a static map.

Secondly, I think you should be checking meteors terms and costs of data.
    If the data is not too expensive that may be a better option.

From meteor forum on May 5
    "Hi all
    Just heard that data roaming rate in the EU will be reduced to 99c per MB in the next 2 weeks. Good news!

Thanks
    Caitriona
    Meteor talk to us "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

99c/Mb = >€1000/gb

There should really be greater regulations on these things.

I remember when vodafone were charging 2c/kb (not Mb) so it meant that 1Mb cost €20. Competition ftw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

I have read that Google Maps introduced a recent update that allows for offline caching of Maps. Search "Google Maps Android Offline". I didn't pay much attention - I think it downloads data for 10-15 miles around your location so it seems limited. Plus it doesn't do directions in offline mode merely acts as a static map.

Secondly, I think you should be checking meteors terms and costs of data.
    If the data is not too expensive that may be a better option.

From meteor forum on May 5
    "Hi all
    Just heard that data roaming rate in the EU will be reduced to 99c per MB in the next 2 weeks. Good news!

Thanks
    Caitriona
    Meteor talk to us "

Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard horror stories of people coming back to huge bills....

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this but in case I'm not here ye go:

If you hold your finger over the notification bar and slide it left or right you can decrease/increase the brightness.
    Auto Brightness must be turned off for this to work.

Nice feature that I only discovered a few minutes ago.................

If you hold your finger over the notification bar and slide it left or right you can decrease/increase the brightness.

Ah I never used it, found it fidgety, I have Minimalistic set so I one click and my brightness dims for night time, use Screen Filter for it, handy as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ah I never used it, found it fidgety,
    Fidgety, seriously? One of the most convenient features of Android I've found.

Fidgety, seriously? One of the most convenient features of Android I've found.

I could`nt be any more serious, lol I just always used EC and MT w/SC

I`ve two ROM`s in mind I would`nt mind trying, Insanity CM or Galnets MIUI?
    Both seem to get lots of updates, I`m just not sure which one to try??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I`ve two ROM`s in mind I would`nt mind trying, Insanity CM or Galnets MIUI?
    Both seem to get lots of updates, I`m just not sure which one to try??

Insanity. Altho I'm biased.

Ste- wrote: »
    Insanity. Altho I'm biased.

How long are you on her?

How do you find it with all the updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

First time I've ever even heard of this mentioned! Shall be using it, Cheers!

How long are you on her?

How do you find it with all the updates?

Few months now, I usually wait a few days and keep a release behind everybody just in case bugs crop up.
    Am on Version 19 now with the latest glitch kernel. I know they don't matter but my quadrant score last night got a personal best of 3020!
    Overclocked to 1.4ghz and undervolted. so flying along now!

Just ran two more there now 2655 for the first. an the second 3055!!!

Few months now, I usually wait a few days and keep a release behind everybody just in case bugs crop up.
    Am on Version 19 now with the latest glitch kernel. I know they don't matter but my quadrant score last night got a personal best of 3020!
    Overclocked to 1.4ghz and undervolted. so flying along now!

Just ran two more there now 2655 for the first. an the second 3055!!!

Does this overclocking give much of a performance boost?
    Whats undervolting for? Is it to increase battery life? And do you notice a difference?
    Are either of these practices harmful to the phone?
    I am currently on Ficeto's JVQ with Semaphore Kernel and that will allow me to overclock to 1.2ghz. Don't know much about overclocking/undervolting though.

If you overclock too much you can fry your phone.
    Overclocking afaik will give more battery life. From my inital test yesterdat I have been getting more battery life. Just relaised yesterday I hadn't been overclocking correctly. And had used the wrong kernel so it was rebooting about once or twice each day. All sorted now.
    18 hours with medium usage still 67% left, normally would be lower than that.

If you go to 1.2ghz you won't do much damage.
    Give it a go and don't set it at boot see how you get on, then if it's stable set it at boot and see how it gets on.
    I use cpuspy and pimp my cpu. The first will show how much Mhz your phone uses and for how long. Can be useful to find out if an app is hogging the cpu or if you are truly going to deep sleep to save battery.

Does this overclocking give much of a performance boost?
    Whats undervolting for? Is it to increase battery life? And do you notice a difference?
    Are either of these practices harmful to the phone?
    I am currently on Ficeto's JVQ with Semaphore Kernel and that will allow me to overclock to 1.2ghz. Don't know much about overclocking/undervolting though.

OC usually can be a little heavy on the battery, where as UV is the battery saver.

I have`nt done either in a while, but when I did I was on Damian`s GTO and had OC mine to 1.2 and UV to 75/100, always varied a little.

OC to 1.2 is usually ok, but all phone`s/chips are different and if your trying out OC, start out in steps from low to high, stay on the lowest for a while, try everything and if you`ve no freezes or reboots, then go to the next step.

UV is safe AFAIK, again same principal applies, go down in steps, when you start to see problems just go back one step.

I`m on the verge of flashing something on my yolk I have`nt flashed anything in yonks, so far MIUI seems to have a few more little "bugs" and what not, where as Insanity CM seems to be coming along nicely, I was going in the MIUI direction but now I`m going the other way after tha last few reads....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

OC usually can be a little heavy on the battery, where as UV is the battery saver.

I have`nt done either in a while, but when I did I was on Damian`s GTO and had OC mine to 1.2 and UV to 75/100, always varied a little.

OC to 1.2 is usually ok, but all phone`s/chips are different and if your trying out OC, start out in steps from low to high, stay on the lowest for a while, try everything and if you`ve no freezes or reboots, then go to the next step.

UV is safe AFAIK, again same principal applies, go down in steps, when you start to see problems just go back one step.

I`m on the verge of flashing something on my yolk I have`nt flashed anything in yonks, so far MIUI seems to have a few more little "bugs" and what not, where as Insanity CM seems to be coming along nicely, I was going in the MIUI direction but now I`m going the other way after tha last few reads....lol

So did you flash anything Lewis?

Raoul wrote: »
    So did you flash anything Lewis?

Hmmmmmmmm, *looks down* lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hmmmmmmmm, *looks down* lol

Tut tut, no need for that smut in here. :pac:

He went for Insanity CM, good lad!

How are you liking it apart from your widget problem ?

Raoul wrote: »
    Tut tut, no need for that smut in here. :pac:

So why the open mouth then, lol?
    He went for Insanity CM, good lad!

How are you liking it apart from your widget problem ?

I`m liking it a lot, I had no idea what it would be like, there`s no doubt it`s faster than any Sammy ROM I`ve seen.

I just hope the battery picks up a little after a few days.

The themes are mad easy to do, to many of the feckers to choose from.

I`m liking it a lot, I had no idea what it would be like, there`s no doubt it`s faster than any Sammy ROM I`ve seen.

I just hope the battery picks up a little after a few days.

The themes are mad easy to do, to many of the feckers to choose from.

How long you getting ?
    I disabled hsdpa to get longer ;)

How long you getting ?
    I disabled hsdpa to get longer ;)

Well its hard to say, I`ve been at it all day doing ****e on it, so can`t tell yet.

HSDPA is 3G?

What Glitch V you on?

I might look into UV at some stage.

Well its hard to say, I`ve been at it all day doing ****e on it, so can`t tell yet.

HSDPA is 3G?

What Glitch V you on?

I might look into UV at some stage.

Nope HSDPA is a faster version of 3G, will run the battery down quicker tho.

Glitch V11LL I had ML but it kept restarting then I rea dit's for those uncommon chips.

Should give it a go.

Nope HSDPA is a faster version of 3G, will run the battery down quicker tho.

Glitch V11LL I had ML but it kept restarting then I rea dit's for those uncommon chips.

Should give it a go.

Is that the one on the second post on XDA?

CM7_SGS_Glitch-kernel_20110606_r1_update?

Or are there more somewhere?

Edit: I`m having a look at Glitch`s thread, a load of gobaleegup, lol

Edit Edit: What the leakage about??
    i9000 version :
    - 17/06/2011 - V10C - V10C-VC
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (Low leakage)
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (Medium leakage)
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (High leakage)

Edit X3: Found the kernel`s..

Edit (the last time): Got on to V11, lets see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Is that the one on the second post on XDA?

CM7_SGS_Glitch-kernel_20110606_r1_update?

Or are there more somewhere?

Edit: I`m having a look at Glitch`s thread, a load of gobaleegup, lol

Edit Edit: What the leakage about??
    i9000 version :
    - 17/06/2011 - V10C - V10C-VC
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (Low leakage)
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (Medium leakage)
    - 06/07/2011 - V11pre (High leakage)

Edit X3: Found the kernel`s..

Edit (the last time): Got on to V11, lets see how it goes.

Go for low leakage, i went for mid not knowing what they did and it rebooted a lot. best bet is to go with the LL.

Go for low leakage, i went for mid not knowing what they did and it rebooted a lot. best bet is to go with the LL.

But what does it mean, leaking milk, puke, protein juice??

Faster than JVQ?

I've noticed something weird in the last couple of days .... Google Maps seems to be eating the battery since I upgraded to Gingerbread.
    I charged the phone this morning and unplugged it at 9am. I've barely touched it since then and the battery is down to 60%.
    Maps has used 29% of that total
    Display 17%
    Wi-fi 17%
    Standby 15%
    Idle 5%
    Android System 5%
    Android OS 4%
    The rest..... 8%

What the heck is causing Google Maps to keep starting up and eating the battery? Am I missing something here or is this a constant feature of Gingerbread?

I've gone into Apps -> Running Services -> and forced it to stop there.
    However, will this fix the issue or is it likely to start up again?
    Sorry if this question has been asked ages ago but I'm only a recent upgrader to Gingerbread. :o

Faster than JVQ?

I`m sorry to say man but YES, by far, I have`nt seen one but of lag and I`ve been playing with it for ages now, with all me apps in there, even with all animations on its still fast as ****.

I`m sorry to say this but Darky`s 10.2 has a LOT to live up to!!
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I've noticed something weird in the last couple of days .... Google Maps seems to be eating the battery since I upgraded to Gingerbread.
    I charged the phone this morning and unplugged it at 9am. I've barely touched it since then and the battery is down to 60%.
    Display 17%
    Wi-fi 17%
    Standby 15%
    Idle 5%
    Android System 5%
    Android OS 4%
    The rest..... 8%

What the heck is causing Google Maps to keep starting up and eating the battery? Am I missing something here or is this a constant feature of Gingerbread?

Sorry if this question has been asked ages ago but I'm only a recent upgrader to Gingerbread. :o

You could use Titties to freeze it, have you got some weather app or something like that going as a widget?

Does anyone use Audio Manager Pro with CM23, every time I press on the widget all the volume levels mute, it never did that before?
    Also alerts and ringer volume sliders are locked, again never before.

• Advertisement

I`m sorry to say man but YES, by far, I have`nt seen one but of lag and I`ve been playing with it for ages now, with all me apps in there, even with all animations on its still fast as ****.

OK, I'm not on Insanity anymore (0.7.1 was the last one I flashed) so I can't argue with you, only to say that I find it very hard to believe that insanity is 'by far' faster than JVQ.
    I'm on JVQ Odexed for probably 2 weeks now and don't have any lag whatsoever. A screen/app can only open up so fast and any screen I switch to or app I open does so instantly. There is no lag.
    Then again I don't use any animations and only have 70 user apps. Maybe thats why I see no lag.

And why are there so many Insanity updates? Are they all bug fixes or what?

Does anyone use Audio Manager Pro with CM23, every time I press on the widget all the volume levels mute, it never did that before?
    Also alerts and ringer volume sliders are locked, again never before.

Ah, there ya go!!!!!!!!!! Bugs, bugs and more bugs!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    I see over on XDA Insanity forum you had trouble with widgets loading? Is this CM23 a beta?

You could use Titties to freeze it, have you got some weather app or something like that going as a widget?

Yes, I have 3D Digital Weather Clock running as a widget but the location settings for it are manual, as opposed to it continually checking for my location.... allegedly!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Display 17%
    Wi-fi 17%
    Standby 15%
    Idle 5%
    Android System 5%
    Android OS 4%
    The rest..... 8%

One word. Latitude. I bet that you're signed into Latitude? See if you are, and if you are then sign out. I had the same issue with Maps before and it turns out I was signed into Latitude and that's what was causing the drain.
    If it's not that then I don't know any other reason.

OK, I'm not on Insanity anymore (0.7.1 was the last one I flashed) so I can't argue with you, only to say that I find it very hard to believe that insanity is 'by far' faster than JVQ.
    I'm on JVQ Odexed for probably 2 weeks now and don't have any lag whatsoever. A screen/app can only open up so fast and any screen I switch to or app I open does so instantly. There is no lag.
    Then again I don't use any animations and only have 70 user apps. Maybe thats why I see no lag.

And why are there so many Insanity updates? Are they all bug fixes or what?

I never bother reading the change logs, its all Irish to me, lol.

I`ve 127 apps, don`t ask me why, lol, but I find that if you go to menu/settings/applications/manage applications and if they all load up instantly, that`s fast, press beside it all as well, I find its the biggest section to be loaded up, it was`nt like that on JVAnything, always took a second or three.

Ah, there ya go!!!!!!!!!! Bugs, bugs and more bugs!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    I see over on XDA Insanity forum you had trouble with widgets loading? Is this CM23 a beta?

LMFAO, bugs no CM is all new to me, most of the time its just a case of reinstalling the app or moving it to the phone.

Yeah its 23, again all I had to do was move the app to the phone, all sorted now, not quite finished with it.
    The themes man are mad, no CWM, just an apk, done in 5 seconds, maybe 4, lol.

Here you go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement