Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Ste- wrote: »
    Nope HSDPA is a faster version of 3G, will run the battery down quicker tho.

Glitch V11LL I had ML but it kept restarting then I rea dit's for those uncommon chips.

Should give it a go.

Is there ment to be any OC/UV options with this, I don`t see any in CWM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Grab either pimp my cpu or voltage control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    I never bother reading the change logs, its all Irish to me, lol.

I`ve 127 apps, don`t ask me why, lol, but I find that if you go to menu/settings/applications/manage applications and if they all load up instantly, that`s fast, press beside it all as well, I find its the biggest section to be loaded up, it was`nt like that on JVAnything, always took a second or three.

LMFAO, bugs no CM is all new to me, most of the time its just a case of reinstalling the app or moving it to the phone.

Yeah its 23, again all I had to do was move the app to the phone, all sorted now, not quite finished with it.
    The themes man are mad, no CWM, just an apk, done in 5 seconds, maybe 4, lol.

Here you go...

Ok so. I might give this a go soon.
    Flash Froyo bootloader first I see. Is it based on Froyo? Like 2.2.1?

Ste-/lewis

What kernel ye using? Is it V11 Low Leakage from post #1 at this link

What's battery life like?

Ste-
    You're on Insnaity a good while? Any issues/bugs? And what version should I flash? CM23? I don't want to start messing with OC/UV. Is the default clock speed set to 1000mhz?

Sorry Ste-/lewis
    One more question

Might be a stupid one but I'm asking anyway.
    After I flash the Froyo bootloader the phone will reboot automatically. Since I'm on a Gingerbread ROM will the phone boot properly?
    Can I have a Froyo bootloader on a GB ROM, even if it is only for one reboot?

G1032 wrote: »
    Ok so. I might give this a go soon.
    Flash Froyo bootloader first I see. Is it based on Froyo? Like 2.2.1?

Muhahahaha.....temtping is`nt it.

From Slaphead20....

Procedure
    A) download cmxxx
    B) download all the cm packs
    C)flash ezbase 2...allow to reboot
    D) flash 0xx through recovery...allow to reboot
    E)go to nitrality/backup restore
    F)flash each pack..allow to reboot each time
    G)go to nitrality/apps and load apps you want (calender apps important)
    H)change dpi in nitrality ui if required
    I)explore and play
    J) marvel at speed/donate/thank

* when you restore your apps don't restore data, and dont restore any samsung apps, they won't work

Modems, there is a long list available from the first page of the cm7 thread. sammy modems will not work.

Also try theme's. click it's done. No reboot no cwm flash, so fast.

Remember if a widget is not showing up after long press on the home screen, just move it to the phone.

@Ste- menu/settings/insanity settings/performance/CPU settings...could you not set OC/UV there, or is it recommended to use those apps?

Edit: The new market is out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Damn it!

I have the dreaded can't scan for networks problem. I dl'd app add explorer to try and file the file causing the error. Can't locate it. Really don't want to hard reset my phone. :C

It's like half the functions I use my phone are related to internet connectivity. Not being able to camp on the home / office network is killing me. And it has only been two days.

Ste-/lewis

What kernel ye using? Is it V11 Low Leakage from post #1 at this link

What's battery life like?

Ste-
    You're on Insnaity a good while? Any issues/bugs? And what version should I flash? CM23? I don't want to start messing with OC/UV. Is the default clock speed set to 1000mhz?

Yeah default is set to 1000mhz. You don't have to OC or UV but the option is there in glitch. Minor bugs really, some small battery drain using Hsdpa, SOme folk not happy with teh camera. Small things imo.
    Sorry Ste-/lewis
    One more question

Might be a stupid one but I'm asking anyway.
    After I flash the Froyo bootloader the phone will reboot automatically. Since I'm on a Gingerbread ROM will the phone boot properly?
    Can I have a Froyo bootloader on a GB ROM, even if it is only for one reboot?
    When you have your Froyo bootloader and GB rom boto into recovery and flash Insanity CM. IF you have a GB rom and froyo bootloaders I think it'll boot but somethings not right with it either that or it'll bootloop on you.

From Slaphead20....

Procedure
    A) download cmxxx
    I)explore and play

* when you restore your apps don't restore data, and dont restore any samsung apps, they won't work

Modems, there is a long list available from the first page of the cm7 thread. sammy modems will not work.

Also try theme's. click it's done. No reboot no cwm flash, so fast.

Remember if a widget is not showing up after long press on the home screen, just move it to the phone.

@Ste- menu/settings/insanity settings/performance/CPU settings...could you not set OC/UV there, or is it recommended to use those apps?

Edit: The new market is out....

You can do it there I think, I have it done on other CM roms from there. But I think most people use the apps so you can UV at the same time as OC. I use pimp my cpu and find it handy and easy.
    Thought you'd like the ease of themeing, Only since InsanityCM19 you don't have to reboot for themes to show up, it use to mess up your Status icons.

I'm happy enough with my setup now.

cat_rant wrote: »
    Damn it!

I have the dreaded can't scan for networks problem. I dl'd app add explorer to try and file the file causing the error. Can't locate it. Really don't want to hard reset my phone. :C

It's like half the functions I use my phone are related to internet connectivity. Not being able to camp on the home / office network is killing me. And it has only been two days.

That`s the first time I`ve heard about this, how about a little more info, like what your on, etc...

Meh...........
    I couldn't be bothered with Insanity now to be honest. The more I read from that thread the more issues I see.
    It's just one big thread where every second post starts with the words 'I can't get xxxxxx to work'
    Can't get Gmail, can't get maps, widgets won't work, calendar doesn't sync, can't add accounts, wifi battery drain, HSDPA battery drain and on and on and on.
    Coupled with the fact that I'll lose all my app data..............

Since mostly every app and every screen loads instantly on JVQ Odexed, flashing Insanity seems like it's going to take a lot of time and hassle just to get my 'Manage Applications' screen to load instantly instead of in 2 seconds.........................

Gonna stick with the JVQ I think
    Thanks for the advice anyway lewis and Ste-

• Advertisement

Meh...........
    I couldn't be bothered with Insanity now to be honest. The more I read from that thread the more issues I see.
    It's just one big thread where every second post starts with the words 'I can't get xxxxxx to work'
    Can't get Gmail, can't get maps, widgets won't work, calendar doesn't sync, can't add accounts, wifi battery drain, HSDPA battery drain and on and on and on.

Since mostly every app and every screen loads instantly on JVQ Odexed, flashing Insanity seems like it's going to take a lot of time and hassle just to get my 'Manage Applications' screen to load instantly instead of in 2 seconds.........................

I know where your coming from, that`s what was keeping me from flashing CM, but I`ve had ZERO problems in doing all of the stuff you`ve just mentioned, the problems I ran into where not bugs, just the way CM is, I did`nt know.

G-mail, perfect no problems, Gmaps locked in no time, same as on JVQ 30 metre indoors with wifi, still on the search for a good modem, once your widgets are moved to your phone there grand, calendar sync perfectly, I`ve FB/Gmail/Ymail synced, battery drain does seem to be the only real downfall of CM but it is or has gotten better, I`m sure there`s a way to slap HSDPA off, I don`t know yet and losing app data yeah its a pain, you could always go back.

I`m glad I`m on it for the time being, 10.2, if it`s not better, I`ll stay on CM.

Edit: Have you read the last two posts here on Darky`s

I know where your coming from, that`s what was keeping me from flashing CM, but I`ve had ZERO problems in doing all of the stuff you`ve just mentioned, the problems I ran into where not bugs, just the way CM is, I did`nt know.

G-mail, perfect no problems, Gmaps locked in no time, same as on JVQ 30 metre indoors with wifi, still on the search for a good modem, once your widgets are moved to your phone there grand, calendar sync perfectly, I`ve FB/Gmail/Ymail synced, battery drain does seem to be the only real downfall of CM but it is or has gotten better, I`m sure there`s a way to slap HSDPA off, I don`t know yet and losing app data yeah its a pain, you could always go back.

I`m glad I`m on it for the time being, 10.2, if it`s not better, I`ll stay on CM.

Edit: Have you read the last two posts here on Darky`s

If you want to turn HSDPA off you have to do it on a samsung rom before flashing CM.

I'm on JVP modem for CM lewis. Seems to work well enough.

You can restore your app data with Mybackuproot, seemed problems with titatnium. Just don't ever restore system apps and you'll be fine imo.

Most of the things people have wrong are due to not reading and not knowing it's either meant to be like that or how to fix the little bug. All roms have bugs, it's life.

If you want to turn HSDPA off you have to do it on a samsung rom before flashing CM.

I'm on JVP modem for CM lewis. Seems to work well enough.

You can restore your app data with Mybackuproot, seemed problems with titatnium. Just don't ever restore system apps and you'll be fine imo.

Most of the things people have wrong are due to not reading and not knowing it's either meant to be like that or how to fix the little bug. All roms have bugs, it's life.

What county you in?
    You mind throwing it up here?

What county you in?
    You mind throwing it up here?

In Dublin, City Centre most of the time (work) then out near the airport it isn't too great but manageable.

linky here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

got a problem here, any help appreciated....

updated to 2.3 using kies
    phone a lot faster. everything good

except, when connecting to pc i no longer get asked what connection i want i.e. kies, media or storage. when i go to usb settings to fix this it doesnt give me the ask on connection option either.

so, i manually set the usb mode to storage and then connect my cable. nothing happens. the phone is charging from pc but there seems to be nothing happening regards mounting the drive. is this a bug with 2.3?

tried with debugging on and off also (something i saw mentioned elsewhere)

its the same pc, cable etc as before the update. its a pain as i only ever used storage mode for transferring. i'm not interested in using that kies nonsense

thanks for any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Meh...........

I feel like this aswell. Might change my mind in a week or two though.

In Dublin, City Centre most of the time (work) then out near the airport it isn't too great but manageable.

linky here

I don`t see a JVP....

brianw wrote: »
    got a problem here, any help appreciated....

updated to 2.3 using kies
    phone a lot faster. everything good

except, when connecting to pc i no longer get asked what connection i want i.e. kies, media or storage. when i go to usb settings to fix this it doesnt give me the ask on connection option either.

so, i manually set the usb mode to storage and then connect my cable. nothing happens. the phone is charging from pc but there seems to be nothing happening regards mounting the drive. is this a bug with 2.3?

tried with debugging on and off also (something i saw mentioned elsewhere)

its the same pc, cable etc as before the update. its a pain as i only ever used storage mode for transferring. i'm not interested in using that kies nonsense

thanks for any help

You could try reinstall Kies, make sure your getting the drivers....if you don`t want to use Kies, try a custom ROM! :)

I don`t see a JVP....

Sorry about that, forgot I didn't get it there.

Try here instead ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, forgot I didn't get it there.

Try here instead ;)

The first one yeah?

cm7-nightly15-radio-JVP.zip

This one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

And what's that doo then

moggser wrote: »
    And what's that doo then

It`s a modem for CM7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hi all,

Ive recently moved to the sticks and bought a galaxy s on 3 so I can have access to the web. I can connect no problema but I cant connect my pc to to my phone and use the mobile ap function. The network is showing as connectes but with local access only. Am I missing something? Accordinb to the blurb on thephone it should connect straight away.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive recently moved to the sticks and bought a galaxy s on 3 so I can have access to the web. I can connect no problema but I cant connect my pc to to my phone and use the mobile ap function. The network is showing as connectes but with local access only. Am I missing something? Accordinb to the blurb on thephone it should connect straight away.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Ive just tried my house mates laptop and it works, myOS is vista.

• Advertisement

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Ive just tried my house mates laptop and it works, myOS is vista.

I mention this earlier, but have you trued reinstalling Kies?

I just tried JVK and it`s not great for me, 3 sats in GPS, 2500+ metre lock in Gstrings, so I give JVP a go after a few more days on this, just to make sure..

Procedure
    A) download cmxxx
    I)explore and play

OK
    I did this.
    Flashed EZBAse first. Then flashed 023 via recovery. But it didn't reboot. It got caught in a bootloop I suppose and then booted to CWM 4 recovery. So I flashed it again from there straight away and only a few seconds it had booted up.
    That can't be right, can it?
    Anyway it seems OK. Restored my apps and it's going along grand.
    Flashed Glitch V11 kernel.

Where do I get the sounds pack to flash? The link for sound pack on Nitrality site is broken.
    Also can I get the old clock back? It's not in the nitrality app.
    And what about themes? I want a theme that will give me battery percentage in the status bar

OK
    I did this.
    Flashed EZBAse first. Then flashed 023 via recovery. But it didn't reboot. It got caught in a bootloop I suppose and then booted to CWM 4 recovery. So I flashed it again from there straight away and only a few seconds it had booted up.
    That can't be right, can it?
    Anyway it seems OK. Restored my apps and it's going along grand.
    Flashed Glitch V11 kernel.

Where do I get the sounds pack to flash? The link for sound pack on Nitrality site is broken.
    Also can I get the old clock back? It's not in the nitrality app.
    And what about themes? I want a theme that will give me battery percentage in the status bar

Jaysus ya don`t want much do ya, lol.

Right, yes you do sometime have to flash twice, its a CM thing.

Sounds are here..I downloaded it no problem.

What`s the old clock, the one in the notification bar?

Themes well there`s one or two here

Jaysus ya don`t want much do ya, lol.

Right, yes you do sometime have to flash twice, its a CM thing.
    :D
    Cheers. Just found the sounds after I posted this. I will do a factory
    reset and flash this again just in case it hasn't flashed right

Well lewis and Ste-
    Thanks for the heads up on this Insanity ROM and thanks for yer help.
    It's so bleedin fast it's unreal. Still can't get over the speed.
    Hopefully now the battery drain that you were on about won't be too bad. It can take a few days for the battery to settle after a flash.

Just two things I don't like..........
    Auto Rotate taken from drop down menu. I used to toggle that a bit but I can always put a widget on homescreen for that.
    The old style clock is gone. Thats nitr8 for ya. He introduced this new clock back in Insanity 7.0.1 I think but got requests to bring back the old one. Now he only has the new one. I used to like the Time Zones feature of the old one

• Advertisement

Well lewis and Ste-
    Hopefully now the battery drain that you were on about won't be too bad. It can take a few days for the battery to settle after a flash.

Auto Rotate taken from drop down menu. I used to toggle that a bit but I can always put a widget on homescreen for that.
    The old style clock is gone. Thats nitr8 for ya. He introduced this new clock back in Insanity 7.0.1 I think but got requests to bring back the old one. Now he only has the new one. I used to like the Time Zones feature of the old one

FFS, if everyone has it, I suppose I will have to have a go too!!!

Well lewis and Ste-

Faster than JVQ????? lol
    You can add what ever toggle up in the notification bar, the only down side to that is when you add more they all get smaller.
    I still don`t remember this old style clock your on about, I`m sure there`s an app for time zones?

Well I`m on 1 day 6hr, which is not to bad, the only thing that will take time is finding the right modem for me...

Did you pick a theme?
    Raoul wrote: »
    FFS, if everyone has it, I suppose I will have to have a go too!!!

Lmfao, it is worth it!

Faster than JVQ????? lol

Did you pick a theme?

Applied a theme last night to get battery percentage but it was crappy. Then I found a setting somewhere to change the battery icon to a percentage. So happy days.
    I'll go find a better theme now.

Ya, I'd say it's a little bit faster than JVQ alright..........!!!:D

Battery draining fast this morning but I expected that anyway. It hasn't settled yet.

Applied a theme last night to get battery percentage but it was crappy. Then I found a setting somewhere to change the battery icon to a percentage. So happy days.
    I'll go find a better theme now.

Ya, I'd say it's a little bit faster than JVQ alright..........!!!:D

Battery draining fast this morning but I expected that anyway. It hasn't settled yet.

If you like blue, Rover Blue is nice, but I`m not to fond of the notification style.

Just a little, lol.

Also I found out that you can have multiple app drawers.

Yeah my first battery cycle drained fast, it`ll pick up.

Edit: Just came across this it replaces the charging animation when your phone is turned off but connected to the charger with a fully functional program.

Edit:One thing I can`t figure out is why my lock screen sounds are so low, the usual volume levels are up but I can barely hear it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Phone robbed from me last night by some f**king scumbag. I've no locator installed or anything. Any ideas?

budgemook wrote: »
    Phone robbed from me last night by some f**king scumbag. I've no locator installed or anything. Any ideas?

DAMN, sorry to hear that, other than ringing it, did you have any apps on it for just this situation, like Where`s My Droid?

DAMN, sorry to hear that, other than ringing it, did you have any apps on it for just this situation, like Where`s My Droid?
    just installed plan b but dunno if wifi is turned on. i have a key pad lock on it so unlikely it'll be found. Thai SIM in it so trying to get my number now. Cheers man.

just installed plan b but dunno if wifi is turned on. i have a key pad lock on it so unlikely it'll be found. Thai SIM in it so trying to get my number now. Cheers man.

Let us know how you get on?

Let us know how you get on?
    Will do. Just hope the battery holds out!

Well I`m sure they`ll get or have a charger for it...

How did it happen if you don`t mind me asking?

• Advertisement

If you like blue, Rover Blue is nice, but I`m not to fond of the notification style.

Just a little, lol.

Also I found out that you can have multiple app drawers.

Yeah my first battery cycle drained fast, it`ll pick up.

Edit: Just came across this it replaces the charging animation when your phone is turned off but connected to the charger with a fully functional program.

Edit:One thing I can`t figure out is why my lock screen sounds are so low, the usual volume levels are up but I can barely hear it..

Ha. Rover Blue is the one I thought was crappy. The notification bar icons are too samll and it looks too cluttered.
    Today I tried Bionic Blue. Much nicer.

How do you mean lockscreen sounds?

I can't figure out how to change my lockscreen wallpaper. Where is that setting?

Ha. Rover Blue is the one I thought was crappy. The notification bar icons are too samll and it looks too cluttered.
    Today I tried Bionic Blue. Much nicer.

How do you mean lockscreen sounds?

I can't figure out how to change my lockscreen wallpaper. Where is that setting?

I was actually on that for a while, but I was`nt to fond of the battery/wifi icons, back on it now and yes the notification icon are WAY better, I`d look at my phone as if I was blind trying to figure out which icon was what, lol.

The lock/unlock sounds, for some reason there really low.

I`m not sure about the lock screen wall paper, I`m trying to figure out how to get as many icon into that rotary lock screen, I have 1 in there, but I don`t know how to get a custom icon in there.

I was thinking about trying Widget Locker out, what do you think?

Well I`m sure they`ll get or have a charger for it...

How did it happen if you don`t mind me asking?
    Knife point dude. Not overly pissed. Have travel insurance so prob get the s2 when i get back.

2 questions. Will they be able to get by the key guard and if i change my gmail pw will that stop the app downloading?

Knife point dude. Not overly pissed. Have travel insurance so prob get the s2 when i get back.

2 questions. Will they be able to get by the key guard and if i change my gmail pw will that stop the app downloading?

I think you`ve only 3 chances to put in the correct password after that I think the SIM gets locked or something.

Yeah I`d change your G sting password, cause if they do get into your phone,they`ve access to it all.

Does no one answer it when you call it?

I`m having problems connecting to me laptop to upgrade to 24, each time I go to press, turn on USB storage, I get a prompt that says, if you turn on USB storage, some apps you are using will stop and may be unavailable until you turn off USB storage, so I press ok and it tries for a little bit then reboots, also I tried to apply the Blue Bionic theme cause I rebooted and for some reason it was`nt there...I`m confused

My Facebook acc for syncing is gone, lol, jesus is this where all the problems begin, lol

What do you guys use for backing up apps? Mybackup root is giving me problems, says it cannot find the market link for the apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

What do you guys use for backing up apps? Mybackup root is giving me problems, says it cannot find the market link for the apps.

I dont use any.

I have a .txt list on my laptop/dropbox with my most commonly used apps, but any extras, if I dont use them I shouldn't have them on my phone and every time I wipe, I get a nice clean phone.

ADWex and a couple others, I hold on to the export files to back up settings.

I think you`ve only 3 chances to put in the correct password after that I think the SIM gets locked or something.

Yeah I`d change your G sting password, cause if they do get into your phone,they`ve access to it all.

Does no one answer it when you call it?

I`m having problems connecting to me laptop to upgrade to 24, each time I go to press, turn on USB storage, I get a prompt that says, if you turn on USB storage, some apps you are using will stop and may be unavailable until you turn off USB storage, so I press ok and it tries for a little bit then reboots, also I tried to apply the Blue Bionic theme cause I rebooted and for some reason it was`nt there...I`m confused

My Facebook acc for syncing is gone, lol, jesus is this where all the problems begin, lol
    No I mean the screen lock, y'know, the unlock pattern thing. Any way of getting through that? Flashing the phone I suppose. The phone is off, was recording stuff all day yesterday (at a wedding) so battery was low. My buddy uses delivery reports so has sent a text. Ah she's gone, I'll change my password and go to the police tomorrow to file a report

I`m not sure about the lock screen wall paper, I`m trying to figure out how to get as many icon into that rotary lock screen, I have 1 in there, but I don`t know how to get a custom icon in there.

I was thinking about trying Widget Locker out, what do you think?

I have the Sliding Tab lockscreen so I can 4 functions from that
    Phone, Messages, Internet and change from silent to sound.

Titanium backup paid version.

• Advertisement

I have a problem with my external sd card

I went to play some music stored on today but it said that the card was empty
    Connected to computer and I could see the files in the external_sd folder. So it wasn't empty.
    Went to setting and erased the card, deleted the external_sd folder from sdcard and now not even the computer will recognise the ext card.
    But in settings it's still there. See screenshot
    screenshot1310763295127.png

7.39 GB free space.
    How do I get my phone + computer to recognise the card?

Advertisement