Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

G1032 wrote: »
    I have a problem with my external sd card

I went to play some music stored on today but it said that the card was empty
    Connected to computer and I could see the files in the external_sd folder. So it wasn't empty.
    Went to setting and erased the card, deleted the external_sd folder from sdcard and now not even the computer will recognise the ext card.
    But in settings it's still there. See screenshot
    7.39 GB free space.
    How do I get my phone + computer to recognise the card?

I don`t believe this, I can`t even get mine hooked up to the laptop, keeps restarting once I press USB debugging, it was fine yesterday...

I do remember seeing your problem some where one the XDA thread....but mine?? WTF..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

lewis wrote: »
    I don`t believe this, I can`t even get mine hooked up to the laptop, keeps restarting once I press USB debugging, it was fine yesterday...

I do remember seeing your problem some where one the XDA thread....but mine?? WTF..

I was trying to find out about yours earlier but came up with nothing.
    Did you try reflash CM023 via recovery?

Edit on mine: Computer recognising it again now but phone still not.

AGGHHHHH

I was trying to find out about yours earlier but came up with nothing.
    Did you try reflash CM023 via recovery?

Edit on mine: Computer recognising it again now but phone still not.

AGGHHHHH

I`ll have to upload it to my Dropbox then download it, I can`t find anything in my phone that will sort this out.

I don`t understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

This is insanity lads!:p

Sorry couldn't resist.:D

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    This is insanity lads!:p

Sorry couldn't resist.:D

Its wrecking my head, its like I sort one thing out then another pops up!!

• Advertisement

I have a problem with my external sd card

I went to play some music stored on today but it said that the card was empty
    Connected to computer and I could see the files in the external_sd folder. So it wasn't empty.
    Went to setting and erased the card, deleted the external_sd folder from sdcard and now not even the computer will recognise the ext card.
    But in settings it's still there. See screenshot

7.39 GB free space.
    How do I get my phone + computer to recognise the card?
    Back on track now. Flashed EZBase again and then CM024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

How do I activate/deactive mobile data. I liked having it in the power menu but that is gone :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Raoul wrote: »
    How do I activate/deactive mobile data. I liked having it in the power menu but that is gone :s

hold the power button for a second or two and select deactivate data

If you're on Insanity ROM (I figure you are cos you said ypu might flash it) do this

Settings > Insanity Settings > Interface > Notification Power Widget > Widget Buttons and then tick Toggle Mobiledata

This will add a toggle switch to your notification bar

Thanks for that. This rom is super fast but some things just really piss me off about it. So many things had to be flashed to get it working properly in the first place.

Now I can't find where to put the vibration down when I click any button (really strong vibration atm). What theme did you decide to go with btw?

I tried bionic blue, don't like it at all.

Also where was the setting to change the battery to a percentage?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. This rom is super fast but some things just really piss me off about it. So many things had to be flashed to get it working properly in the first place.

Now I can't find where to put the vibration down when I click any button (really strong vibration atm). What theme did you decide to go with btw?

I tried bionic blue, don't like it at all.

Also where was the setting to change the battery to a percentage?

I answered these questions in post #114 here
    I liked Bionic Blue but changed it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

how yiz lads

i went up from darkys 10 to 10.1 and backed up aps through myback up root

now most the apps wont work did i fook up some where?

oh also i was pondering goin back to 10 as i like the look of it

is it as simple as just using the zip in the recovery mode or do i need to change the other stuff too

For most of the apps, you can simply uninstall and reinstall and they should work.

yeah but lose all the save data and im a littel tired of replaying angry birds from the start all the time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

kc56 wrote: »
    Kies updated fine for me in 10 mins (Windows 7)

No gingerbread though.....

eMobile, and I presume Meteor, have at last released Gingerbread via Kies:)

Update went without any problems!

Update: Phone is now much more responsive and battery usage has improved significantly (made sure that battery was 100% charged first). On 2.2 the Display was always shows as using 80-90% of power; now it's more like 25%. ==> A successful update.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 and Launcher Pro (free)

moggser wrote: »
    yeah but lose all the save data and im a littel tired of replaying angry birds from the start all the time lol

Yeah know what you mean. I think there is some way that you can keep the data if your phone is rooted. By finding out where the save file is and putting it on your laptop then placing it back in the same folder after you reinstall the app. Not totally sure though.

Mate of mine upgraded to GB through Kies and now his Android OS is draining his battery. Can't find any way to sort it either. He is now considering flashing a custom rom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Had to factory reset my phone before Kies would detect it , then it was a pretty painless update and I'm left with a Blazing fast phone! It's given it a new lease of life and I'm back in love with it now!

papu wrote: »
    Had to factory reset my phone before Kies would detect it , then it was a pretty painless update and I'm left with a Blazing fast phone! It's given it a new lease of life and I'm back in love with it now!

Jaysus take her easy man.
    As long as you have a cover for it then, go WILD, lol

oh also i was pondering goin back to 10 as i like the look of it

is it as simple as just using the zip in the recovery mode or do i need to change the other stuff too

any idea lads

any idea lads

I don't know but if I were you I would flash Insanity's CM instead. It makes Darky's look like a total joke.

• Advertisement

Well what's it do then that Darky don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So my dialler, messaging and contacts icons have disappeared from the bottom (task bar?) of the idle screen and I can't seem to get them back there - any ideas?

Running stock Gingerbread, updated over a week ago with no issues since.

I don't know but if I were you I would flash Insanity's CM instead. It makes Darky's look like a total joke.

LOL, I laughed when I read this....

Speed/stability.
    The thing is with Darky and his team, they`ve turned into sales men, really selling all the ROM`s before they come out.
    Like there on his FB group, he`s building up the hype, one thing he said was that New DarkyROM Bootsound Engine (tells you the Version at booting ;)), I said do we really need it telling us what we already know?
    I think it his bloat ware, he adds in all the bells and whistles and then some, he tries to please to many of them people, which is an impossible task.
    Granted some of his ROM are good, but of all the releases there`s only 2 I`d say that are solid, 9.2/9.5.
    There`s only so much they can do with beta`s/unofficial firmware from Samsung.
    Honestly when 10.2 comes out there`ll be madness in the forums and people fecking up here and there then when the hype dies down it`ll be just another "green" ROM, lol. I also asked him will it be easier to get theme for 10.2, I got no reply...
    I did`nt think Insanity CM could be so fast and solid, I though JVQ was pretty good, I`d be surprised if 10.2 holds its value..
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So my dialler, messaging and contacts icons have disappeared from the bottom (task bar?) of the idle screen and I can't seem to get them back there - any ideas?

Running stock Gingerbread, updated over a week ago with no issues since.

Have you long pressing the area and adding them in again?

Speed speed and more speed. It's so fast you won't believe.
    @lewis
    Actually I found a laggy app. The camera took over a second to load!!!!!

Granted some of his ROM are good, but of all the releases there`s only 2 I`d say that are solid, 9.2/9.5.
    10.1 was good too. No issues but just not nearly as fast as CM7

10.1 was good too. No issues but just not nearly as fast as CM7

At first yeah, but over time, it just runs out of breath.

BTW, I went for the Steel Blue theme...

Also can I get the old clock back?

If your felling like a lab rat...

This is the stock SGS clock..

This is from Insanity 6.2..

Here`s an Odex one...

Get your back up set up then see how you get one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have you long pressing the area and adding them in again?

Not sure if I tried that or not, but thanks for the tip.

Anyway, I've sinced installed Launcher Pro and am much happier with it.

Just curious - how to I go back to TouchWiz Launcher if I ever need to?

Get Home Switcher from the market, you can select what ever launcher you want and set it as default.

• Advertisement

At first yeah, but over time, it just runs out of breath.

BTW, I went for the Steel Blue theme...

Might try that later. Happy enough with my theme at the moment. Forget what it's called. It's not blue anyway

Anytime I use Launcher Pro Plus I get the dreaded black screen of death.
    It used to happen me on Froyo until I figured out that LPP was causing it.
    Uninstalled LPP and the dead black screen issue went away.
    Didn't use it again until I used it on JVP and bang The Black Screen of Death.............
    Tried it yesterday on CM 7 and what do ya know........................black screen
    It's the biggest sh!te of a launcher I ever came across and I paid that developer, if thats what you could call him, €3 or whatever for his piece of crap launcher.
    Rant over.

If your felling like a lab rat...

This is the stock SGS clock..

This is from Insanity 6.2..

Here`s an Odex one...

Get your back up set up then see how you get one...

Thanks. That's one I haven't tried yet........the odex one

Anytime I use Launcher Pro Plus I get the dreaded black screen of death.
    It used to happen me on Froyo until I figured out that LPP was causing it.
    Uninstalled LPP and the dead black screen issue went away.
    Didn't use it again until I used it on JVP and bang The Black Screen of Death.............
    Tried it yesterday on CM 7 and what do ya know........................black screen
    It's the biggest sh!te of a launcher I ever came across and I paid that developer, if thats what you could call him, €3 or whatever for his piece of crap launcher.
    Rant over.

I used LPP ages ago, the fell off a back of a truck version..;) and I never came across that, the only the I did notice was, no way to back up your configuration and it FC a fair bit upon a reboot.
    I`m might go back to GO Launcher, I liked that, this ADW, is so so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

Hi all

I upgraded to 2.3.4 JVQ a few weeks ago and I need to go back to stock 2.3.3 gingerbread. Any ideas how to do this?
    Thanks in advance

MJPE wrote: »
    Hi all

I upgraded to 2.3.4 JVQ a few weeks ago and I need to go back to stock 2.3.3 gingerbread. Any ideas how to do this?
    Thanks in advance

Flash a stock GB via odin from samfirmware.com

Or flash a froyo stock, change your product code to your original one, and update to GB via kies

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

In a nutshell, can anybody briefly tell me the advantage of modding the Galaxy? Any way to extend the poor battery life?

Also how long do ye reckon they will keep making these phones? I want to claim insurance on my current Samsung Galaxy but wouldn't mind a Samsung Galaxy II as a replacement :D

thebison wrote: »
    In a nutshell, can anybody briefly tell me the advantage of modding the Galaxy? Any way to extend the poor battery life?

Also how long do ye reckon they will keep making these phones? I want to claim insurance on my current Samsung Galaxy but wouldn't mind a Samsung Galaxy II as a replacement :D

Simply...Android + Imagination = Endless ideas/improvements/advantages/only gets better...battery life will improve when you "mod" an Android.

Since the SGS1 had done so well, I`d say for 03497012934 years, give or take..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Simply...Android + Imagination = Endless ideas/improvements/advantages/only gets better...battery life will improve when you "mod" an Android.

Since the SGS1 had done so well, I`d say for 03497012934 years, give or take..

hah cool so I'll wait a bit longer.....Regarding the battery life, is it worth modding? How long will I be able to get out of it with a Mod?

Also I installed Skype & for some reason Unistalled it a while ago. Now I want it back but everytime I go to install it, a message comes up "Installation Unsuccessful"

Anyone have any idea on how I could get Skype working?

thebison wrote: »
    hah cool so I'll wait a bit longer.....Regarding the battery life, is it worth modding? How long will I be able to get out of it with a Mod?

Also I installed Skype & for some reason Unistalled it a while ago. Now I want it back but everytime I go to install it, a message comes up "Installation Unsuccessful"

Anyone have any idea on how I could get Skype working?

Think of it this way, you go out and buy a car, but with that car you can "pimp" it up to what ever way you like, that`s the way Android works.

Battery life depends on the user and what he does with it, but battery with a ROM will be better than stock ROM`s.

How did you go about uninstalling it?

I`d just like to add Apache Pizza sucks donkey`s balls, since when did they decide not to deliver to Kildare...from NEWBRIDGE, the HUNTS....I`m starving, the kitchen is to far away.....rant over, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

The GPS on my Galaxy S worked fine for the first few months but after three months the phone fails to lock on without using an app called GPS Aids. I kept meaning to go back to the shop to see if Emobile would fix or replace the phone, but I ended up rooting and putting on the official Samsung version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 rather than wait months for Emobile to release their branded version of Gingerbread.

Does anyone know if Emobile will cover my phone under warranty now that it's rooted and running a non branded version of Gingerbread 2.3.4?

• Advertisement

Nephew wrote: »
    The GPS on my Galaxy S worked fine for the first few months but after three months the phone fails to lock on without using an app called GPS Aids. I kept meaning to go back to the shop to see if Emobile would fix or replace the phone, but I ended up rooting and putting on the official Samsung version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 rather than wait months for Emobile to release their branded version of Gingerbread.

Does anyone know if Emobile will cover my phone under warranty now that it's rooted and running a non branded version of Gingerbread 2.3.4?

Just flash any stock ROM on it, you`ll be fine.
    At this stage everyone knows what people do with there SGS`s...

Nephew wrote: »

Flashing back to stock will unroot your phone too.

Not sure about the branding though...............

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

I just downloaded blockbuster 2.5.1, I literally just have it working here on my phone 2 mins ago, Any reviews on this ROM, looks slick, I felt I had to change from Darky after it began to get laggy again and my coverage went to absolute **** for some reason,

giz a link the latest Darky is doin me nut in hardly any coverage and gps aint the best

giz a link the latest Darky is doin me nut in hardly any coverage and gps aint the best

I was just out and found my GPS very good, I`m using JVP, it found me house and tracked me fairly accurately, it`s fairly over cast as well..

just after flatching a jv5 on there now whats the best way of testing it

just after flatching a jv5 on there now whats the best way of testing it

I use GPS test, Gmaps and G navigation, there`s loads other apps out there but they all basically do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kavanafl

meteor samsung s

Hi,
    I plugged my phone into Kies today and it si saying an update is available

Current: PDA: JPA / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP7 (MET)
    Lattest: PDA:JVH / PHONE:JVO / CSC:Jv1 (MET)

Not sure if this is 2.3.x or what. However when I go to the update it keeps failing in that the device is not recognised and I should reboot the device. It recognises the device when I plug it in first, but then during the upgrade process it bombs out.

Any ideas, and if so is it worth progressing to the update anyway.

Rgds

kavanafl wrote: »
    meteor samsung s

Hi,
    I plugged my phone into Kies today and it si saying an update is available

Current: PDA: JPA / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP7 (MET)
    Lattest: PDA:JVH / PHONE:JVO / CSC:Jv1 (MET)

Not sure if this is 2.3.x or what. However when I go to the update it keeps failing in that the device is not recognised and I should reboot the device. It recognises the device when I plug it in first, but then during the upgrade process it bombs out.

Any ideas, and if so is it worth progressing to the update anyway.

Rgds

Kies is so crap, it`s crappy crap crap....do bother using it man.

Read up a bit about custom ROM`s and find one to install, so much better than stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

Blockbuster isnt great its laggy too and phone radomly reboots, Which ROM are people finding fast, no lag and little battery dischagre?

• Advertisement
Advertisement