Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

AE86JAY wrote: »
    Blockbuster isnt great its laggy too and phone radomly reboots, Which ROM are people finding fast, no lag and little battery dischagre?

Darky 10.2. For all that people say about it, I have very little battery drain at all. I lost 2% over 10hours overnight, (not airplane mode, but wifi/3g were off.)

I could get 2 or 3 days out of it depending on use. If you can keep it below 2 hours screen on time, you should get nearly 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Darky 10.2. For all that people say about it, I have very little battery drain at all. I lost 2% over 10hours overnight, (not airplane mode, but wifi/3g were off.)

I could get 2 or 3 days out of it depending on use. If you can keep it below 2 hours screen on time, you should get nearly 3 days.

Not very cool to praise Darkys at the moment. It's to safe for some people.They like to try something different and then spend the next couple of days fixing it.I tried Insanity which was as they say "blazing fast" but , the camera , the dialer were 2nd rate,and the icons looked crap and the battery was bad.
    So i was back on darkys quicker than you can say " 2 day battery"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I'm on surface at the moment. It was great until I flashed the Obsessed theme and then it just went crap and laggy. I tried to flash another theme but remnants of obsessed were still there. So I will be flashing surface again.

If anyone has a better alternative I am glad to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Once I find the time I'll give Insanity a try. I dont use stock apps at all (quite in love with GoDevTeam stuff) except for the calendar (don't think there's a replacement yet). The only thing I need the ROM for both theme and app wise is the notification bar. Everything else is heavily customised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Not very cool to praise Darkys at the moment. It's to safe for some people.They like to try something different and then spend the next couple of days fixing it.I tried Insanity which was as they say "blazing fast" but , the camera , the dialer were 2nd rate,and the icons looked crap and the battery was bad.

What`s wrong with the camera?

I think the dialer is cool looking, granted it does`nt have speed dial which I liked.
    Icon`s I could`nt really care what they look like, plus there`s 5 billion icons for apps out there, you just got to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

JVR out

Ficeto and SURFACE both have a version
    Here is Ficetos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

are you saying you get 2 days from a darkys rom?

ive a pain in me bollix with darkys rom and the poor battery life with light to medium use id struggle to have 50% left on a battery after 12 hrs of up time

G1032 wrote: »
    JVR out

Ficeto and SURFACE both have a version
    Here is Ficetos

suppose its another poxy green Rom then yeah

The green is one thing, but now starts all the same questions and **** like you see with all the other release, JVH/JVQ, blah blah, how this, how that, howdy....

• Advertisement

it just looks the same shiote
    as per norm

moggser wrote: »
    suppose its another poxy green Rom then yeah

Wouldn't have a clue. Don't flash any Darky sh!te anymore.

right ive had enough of this darky crap where do i get a better rom

looking at this and i presume its for the "insanity" rom..so can i just go flash it straight away like it says

"Backup all your data, a CWM backup is nice to have
    Copy Insanity ROM to internal SD Card
    Reboot into Recovery Mode
    Flash insanity via CWM ALL data will be wiped
    Reboot"

or do i HAVE TO ........... If you are coming from a GingerBread ROM, please see the EZBoot thread to downgrade your bootloader
    If you are coming from a STOCK ROM, only have 2e recovery or have any issues please see the EZbase Odin ROM
    Be sure to reads Rob's Upgrading to Insanity ROM thread if your new...

looking at this and i presume its for the "insanity" rom..so can i just go flash it straight away like it says

"Backup all your data, a CWM backup is nice to have
    Copy Insanity ROM to internal SD Card
    Reboot into Recovery Mode
    Flash insanity via CWM ALL data will be wiped
    Reboot"

or do i HAVE TO ........... If you are coming from a GingerBread ROM, please see the EZBoot thread to downgrade your bootloader
    If you are coming from a STOCK ROM, only have 2e recovery or have any issues please see the EZbase Odin ROM
    Be sure to reads Rob's Upgrading to Insanity ROM thread if your new...

Here dude....have fun

see point 4 on that link "Flash Froyo BootLoaders - EZBoot" is that a essential

oh and will i need a full battery for this flash?

• Advertisement

right ive had enough of this darky crap where do i get a better rom

You'll be back.........:D

havent left it yet there is funny forces preventing me making a change cant download a bootloader from another website so maybe its darky blocking the other sites from downloading lol

moggser
    Try S.U.R.F.A.C.E ROM
    New version is based on JVR
    It's lightning fast and after being on Insanity myself for 2 weeks I can say that SURFACE is just as fast as Insanity
    Insanity is grand and fast but there are things I don't like eg. pathetic clock/alarm app, pathetic phone dialer and absolutely totally brutal battery life. I'm not entirely sure what affect this has on the lifespan of the battery since the battery will only take so many charges/discharges.
    CM7 is supposed to be great on other phones but really has a long long way to go on the Galaxy S to be classed as a great ROM

just after flatching a jv5 on there now whats the best way of testing it

On GMaps I get my location to within 10 meter accuracy with ZSJV5
    GPS locks on immediately in Navigation.
    Best lock I can get with any other modem is to within 3600m

havent left it yet there is funny forces preventing me making a change cant download a bootloader from another website so maybe its darky blocking the other sites from downloading lol
    That Darky is a right Ba******rd :D
    I flashed Insanity with no problems, but I had a lot of trouble finding the files, there's so much out there. I'll have a check. You need Ezodin and 4 ezbase files, PDA, PIT, PHONE,AND CSC.And when you have the base flashed you use cwm to flash the latest cm, I flashed cm27 but I think it's at cm30 now.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

moggser
    Try S.U.R.F.A.C.E ROM

right ive downloaded it but maybe im been a mongo here but what do i do with it as ive not seen the flashing instructions

EDIT:i just saw them there and i it looks like a load of stuff to do as in i know wha im doin but i dont understand the tech talk lol well i do and dont

right ive downloaded it but maybe im been a mongo here but what do i do with it as ive not seen the flashing instructions

EDIT:i just saw them there and i it looks like a load of stuff to do as in i know wha im doin but i dont understand the tech talk lol well i do and dont

Flash Stock JVQ via Odin
    Flash SpeedMod kernel via Odin
    Copy SURFACE Base and Essentials addon pack + theme addon to SdCard (the JVR versions)
    Flash Base ROM via CWM. Reboot.
    Open Nitrality and tick Applicatinon Scaling in UI Tweaks
    Shut down phone
    Flash Theme addon via CWM
    Reboot
    Recovery and flash Essentials addon + whatever other addon you want.
    Reboot to recovey and convert data and system files to EXT4
    Reboot
    Done

Think thats it but double check SURFACE page just incase

Flash Stock JVQ via Odin
    Flash SpeedMod kernel via Odin
    Copy SURFACE Base and Essentials addon pack + theme addon to SdCard (the JVR versions)
    Flash Base ROM via CWM. Reboot.
    Open Nitrality and tick Applicatinon Scaling in UI Tweaks
    Shut down phone
    Flash Theme addon via CWM
    Reboot
    Recovery and flash Essentials addon + whatever other addon you want.
    Reboot to recovey and convert data and system files to EXT4
    Reboot
    Done

Think thats it but double check SURFACE page just incase

Aaaahhhhh heeeeeooor :)

Ilk get round to this tomorrow at some stage to much like hassle at thus time of nite

Edit ill go for it now but wher will I get the stock jvq and speedmod kernal

Stock JVQ from samfirmware.com and speedmod from XDA forum.....

got the firmware searching the xda forum now fro the speedmod to no avail
    any idea's

OR is this it here

see point 4 on that link "Flash Froyo BootLoaders - EZBoot" is that a essential

oh and will i need a full battery for this flash?

Jesus man them instructions are as simple as can be, do you think there`s a hidden agenda? What you see is what you do end of!!
    Start questioning that then there`s no hope.
    Flash what ever you want....

moggser
    Try S.U.R.F.A.C.E ROM
    New version is based on JVR
    It's lightning fast and after being on Insanity myself for 2 weeks I can say that SURFACE is just as fast as Insanity
    Insanity is grand and fast but there are things I don't like eg. pathetic clock/alarm app, pathetic phone dialer and absolutely totally brutal battery life. I'm not entirely sure what affect this has on the lifespan of the battery since the battery will only take so many charges/discharges.
    CM7 is supposed to be great on other phones but really has a long long way to go on the Galaxy S to be classed as a great ROM

You and your complaints about the clock, alarm, thats far from complaint about a ROM, not enough to doubt Insanity at all! Buy an alarm clock for christ sake!!
    What`s wrong with the dialer?? I dial some **** he picks up job sorted..
    Battery life with CM is known to be cack, it`s small price compared to the hape a ****e ROM that are out there!
    I`m sorry man but of all the ****e I`ve tried CM is way ahead of the rest, Sammy anything just gets beat the **** out of the game, no matter how they MOD it!
    All of Darky`s anything is pissing me right the **** off, any person who`s either a newbee wanting to try it, get`s an instant hard on or, ****s everything right up cause they see the Darky logo and think it`s 100% safe.
    I`ve never thought until now that the whole Darky "team" are in it for the fame/money(very little) spot light and ****, always the same ****, nothings ever new, they get there firmware from Sammy and they put there brand on it and sell it to the masses and the flock fall head over heals for it.
    CM is so much better, it has never let me down, from day one!

Aaaahhhhh heeeeeooor :)

Ilk get round to this tomorrow at some stage to much like hassle at thus time of nite

Edit ill go for it now but wher will I get the stock jvq and speedmod kernal

In 20 minutes you could be on Insanity, end of...
    any idea's

OR is this it here

Forget anything from them....Once you flash CM you don`t need any thing else to make it faster or smoother..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I might be getting one of these soon. I'd be looking for a rom that is close to stock android but is fast and has good battery life. I know that might be asking a lot but still. What would you guys recommend?

I might be getting one of these soon. I'd be looking for a rom that is close to stock android but is fast and has good battery life. I know that might be asking a lot but still. What would you guys recommend?

SURFACE ROM.
    See post 3822 for link....

any idea's

OR is this it here

Ya. The t24 one.....

lewis wrote: »
    You and your complaints about the clock, alarm, thats far from complaint about a ROM, not enough to doubt Insanity at all! Buy an alarm clock for christ sake!!
    Battery life with CM is known to be cack, it`s small price compared to the hape a ****e ROM that are out there!
    I`m sorry man but of all the ****e I`ve tried CM is way ahead of the rest, Sammy anything just gets beat the **** out of the game, no matter how they MOD it!
    All of Darky`s anything is pissing me right the **** off, any person who`s either a newbee wanting to try it, get`s an instant hard on or, ****s everything right up cause they see the Darky logo and think it`s 100% safe.
    I`ve never thought until now that the whole Darky "team" are in it for the fame/money(very little) spot light and ****, always the same ****, nothings ever new, they get there firmware from Sammy and they put there brand on it and sell it to the masses and the flock fall head over heals for it.

Don't know why you're having a go at me about Darky? I didn't mention Darky once in that post and wouldn't put anything that Darky was within 100 miles of on my phone. So save the Darky outburst for someone else.

As for S.U.R.F.A.C.E.......
    Don't knock what you haven't tried. Ya it's a Sammy ROM but I've tried CM7 and S.U.R.F.A.C.E compares very favourably with it.
    Plus CM7 has updates every day to fix some bug or other. Christ, it was only a week ago that they fixed the data toggle issue. It's just a case of getting a ROM out there and fixing it as they go along. Pure bullsh!t.
    They can get the battery right on HTC but not on Galaxy S?
    Blah, been there and tried it and wouldn't go back in a fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Jaysus lads calm down, it's a phone and a choice of roms.
    Each to their own.

Anyway came across this on XDA and thought it was a good read.

http://android.appstorm.net/reviews/roms/10-reasons-you-should-try-cyanogenmod-7-and-5-tricks-to-stick-with-it/

Jesus man them instructions are as simple as can be, do you think there`s a hidden agenda? What you see is what you do end of!!
    Start questioning that then there`s no hope.
    Flash what ever you want....

In 20 minutes you could be on Insanity, end of...

Forget anything from them....Once you flash CM you don`t need any thing else to make it faster or smoother..

Jeasus Lewis! Chill out Man!We're all allowed our favourites. Bad weekend?

Google Darkys Rom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Google Darkys Rom.

I've read plenty about darkys rom on boards to decide I'm staying away from it.

I've read plenty about darkys rom on boards to decide I'm staying away from it.

That's me put in my place! :p

Sorry for the outburst yesterday lads, yeah it was a bad day.
    I hope I did`nt step to much on peoples toes, :) peace, love and cream..

just figured some one pissed in your wheaties

@ G0132 just flashed the base rom there and cant see the nitrality u mention

EDIT actually i found it in the market place but its telling me ive no root access

also i dont have the recovery bit on the power button screen SS6.png

just figured some one pissed in your wheaties

Yeah, it happens...

• Advertisement

yeah it sure does buddy we all have bad un's

ere Lewis giz the ezboot thing will ya ill try the insanity as this surface yoke aint floating me boat so far

cant find the ezboot as every link i click is not found

ere Lewis giz the ezboot thing will ya ill try the insanity as this surface yoke aint floating me boat so far

cant find the ezboot as every link i click is not found

Here you go..

why thank you sir

why thank you sir

No hassles, take your time with it and be patient

I moved from Darkys over to Cyanogen and have found the UI to be a lot more fluid.
    However one thing that really sucks on CM7 is the FM Radio, it is useless!
    And I cannot find an alternative in the market. Does anyone know the name of a good FM radio in the market or have an apk they can share.
    cheers
    N

• Advertisement

I moved from Darkys over to Cyanogen and have found the UI to be a lot more fluid.
    However one thing that really sucks on CM7 is the FM Radio, it is useless!
    And I cannot find an alternative in the market. Does anyone know the name of a good FM radio in the market or have an apk they can share.
    cheers
    N

I used to use a net radio app ages ago, it was fairly good, it was able to get loads of radios.....I`ll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think it was Tune in Radio...

I used to use a net radio app ages ago, it was fairly good, it was able to get loads of radios.....I`ll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think it was Tune in Radio...

I saw that, but are there any non internet radio apps out there? just want a normal FM player to save on bandwidth

Never got around to puttin insanity on yet as
    Some of the file are missing when I go to download them

Anyway the problem I'm havin with surface rom
    Is that when I go to text the words disappear after I write them in
    Any ideas what that is I thinks it's the poxy swipe keyboard
    That come with it and can't het the Ginger bread keyboard to work
    Get the sorry it has to close bit

Never got around to puttin insanity on yet as
    Some of the file are missing when I go to download them.

What files are you missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone able to get google+ working on the Galaxy S ?
    I get to the sign in page and can't get any further.
    Get stuck in an endless loop app flashes etc stays on that screen, have reinstalled app numerous times. Have tried on wifi and 3G same deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement