Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Who is mloc on xda? Can't remember[/QUOTE]

Can you not guess? Is he making smart arse comments about every Rom bar insanity?

lewis wrote: »
    Beats the hell outta me.....

Lmao:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Raoul wrote: »
    Thinking of going back to insanity :pac:. I like the fact that you can install updates without having to do a wipe.

Who is mloc on xda? Can't remember

Some bloke from down Kildare way........ Seen him post once or twice on this forum too.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Gaffs89 wrote: »

Can you not guess? Is he making smart arse comments about every Rom bar insanity?

Beats the hell outta me.....

Lmao:D

Smart arse jaysus that`s harsh, he only speaks the truth, from what I`ve heard ;)
    G1032 wrote: »
    Some bloke from down Kildare way........ Seen him post once or twice on this forum too.........

I heard he was not from this world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Gaffs89 wrote: »

Smart arse jaysus that`s harsh, he only speaks the truth, from what I`ve heard ;)

I heard he was not from this world...
    Hmm think I have figured it out. :pac:

Any post I read was rather polite and inquisitive so thats what threw me.

Yeah think I will flash insanity later on today. But I am coming from Surface, already with the GB bootloaders, so does that mean I can go ahead and flash cm right over it and then gapps and add ons?

I think you were asking similar questions Lewis

Yeah think I will flash insanity later on today. But I am coming from Surface, already with the GB bootloaders, so does that mean I can go ahead and flash cm right over it and then gapps and add ons?

:)

Well I managed to do the GB boot loaders and am back up and running, will know after a few cycles how the battery is doing.

Edit: Flashed Neo V15 kernel, seems to have improved the colour, lets just see how it can help the battery with UV, although the option is there to OC to 1.6, I would be trying that, lol.

• Advertisement

I flashed TalonDev 0.4.4.9 kernel today and OC to 1.2GHz
    Absolute match now speed wise for Insanity. Smooth as silk.
    Settings - Aplications - Manage Applications - All now loads as instantly as they do on CM7
    Sticking with SURFACE. Hasn't let me down since I flashed it (maybe a week or more now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I'm so torn!! I don't know whether to upgrade my surface or go back to insanity. I am leaning towards insanity as I like the idea of upgrading without losing all my apps and having to do a full wipe.

I'm so torn!! I don't know whether to upgrade my surface or go back to insanity. I am leaning towards insanity as I like the idea of upgrading without losing all my apps and having to do a full wipe.

I think you've had a littile trouble with SURFACE?? Can't remember who it was.......
    Do a clean flash of v3.1
    When it's done then flash TAlonDev 0.4.4.9 and OC to 1.2 GHz. You won't need to upgrade again...............!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

I think you've had a littile trouble with SURFACE?? Can't remember who it was.......
    Do a clean flash of v3.1
    When it's done then flash TAlonDev 0.4.4.9 and OC to 1.2 GHz. You won't need to upgrade again...............!!

:eek: There's no fun in that.

I flashed TalonDev 0.4.4.9 kernel today and OC to 1.2GHz
    Absolute match now speed wise for Insanity. Smooth as silk.
    Settings - Aplications - Manage Applications - All now loads as instantly as they do on CM7
    Sticking with SURFACE. Hasn't let me down since I flashed it (maybe a week or more now)

With Insanity there`s no need to OC to anything, :P
    Do a clean flash of v3.1

Now that it`s on GB bootloaders I am noticing an increase in battery life and once I figure out how to UV I`ll be able to get even more battery life, you can`t go wrong with Insanity and all the updates it gets.
    You will not have any trouble with Insanity like you did with that other "yolk"....FLASH INSANITY NOW!!!! It`s an order! lol

• Advertisement

With Insanity there`s no need to OC to anything, :P

Now that it`s on GB bootloaders I am noticing an increase in battery life and once I figure out how to UV I`ll be able to get even more battery life, you can`t go wrong with Insanity and all the updates it gets.
    You will not have any trouble with Insanity like you did with that other "yolk"....FLASH INSANITY NOW!!!! It`s an order! lol

have you a good guide to OC and UV?
    I had a reboot there at 1.2GHz but don't really have a clue what I'm at.
    I have Tegrak's app to OC/UV but there is a Core Voltage and an Internal Voltage. Which do I change?
    Any guide/help appreciated

Edit
    Is this the guide you guys use?

have you a good guide to OC and UV?
    I had a reboot there at 1.2GHz but don't really have a clue what I'm at.
    I have Tegrak's app to OC/UV but there is a Core Voltage and an Internal Voltage. Which do I change?
    Any guide/help appreciated

Edit
    Is this the guide you guys use?

I never used a guide, the best way to do it is go at it step by step, don`t just jump to 1.2 or what not.
    Everyone`s phone are different so the guide probably won`t suit, 50/50, if you start to see some random reboots or freezes then you need to scale it back a step.

I never used a guide, the best way to do it is go at it step by step, don`t just jump to 1.2 or what not.
    Everyone`s phone are different so the guide probably won`t suit, 50/50, if you start to see some random reboots or freezes then you need to scale it back a step.

Did you change the Internal Voltage or is it just the Core Voltage??

Did you change the Internal Voltage or is it just the Core Voltage??

I have`nt tried in yet on Insanity, last time I used/did UV was on Damians GTO kernel and that was in CWM, I`m not sure man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone upgraded to gingerbread 2.3.4?
    i have a samsung galaxy s phone with emobile contract.
    i have froyo 2.2 currently unrooted
    i would like to update to gingerbread 2.3.4
    i have all the instructions available from samware website using ODIN.
    has anyone tried this before?
    is it safe to update software on a unrooted phone using ODIN?
    does it give any significant difference from froyo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

has anyone upgraded to gingerbread 2.3.4?
    i have a samsung galaxy s phone with emobile contract.
    i have froyo 2.2 currently unrooted
    i would like to update to gingerbread 2.3.4
    i have all the instructions available from samware website using ODIN.
    has anyone tried this before?
    is it safe to update software on a unrooted phone using ODIN?
    does it give any significant difference from froyo?

I did the upgrade to 2.3.4 using ODIN and it went without issue
    As long as you follow the instructions to the letter you should be fine

The difference is massive. Its a new phone. Its a lot faster and smooth
    I have had one issue where the phone just hangs and needs to be rebooted. Its happened maybe twice in the last two weeks. The 2.3.4 ROM was a leak so it might no be as stable as the official 2.3.3 release

I may be incorrect but im sure the other boardsies will correct me :D

thanks for that info. very useful.

statto25 wrote: »
    I did the upgrade to 2.3.4 using ODIN and it went without issue
    As long as you follow the instructions to the letter you should be fine

The difference is massive. Its a new phone. Its a lot faster and smooth
    I have had one issue where the phone just hangs and needs to be rebooted. Its happened maybe twice in the last two weeks. The 2.3.4 ROM was a leak so it might no be as stable as the official 2.3.3 release

I may be incorrect but im sure the other boardsies will correct me :D

What ROM you using?

What ROM you using?

Maybe I have my terminology arseways. Im still using the 2.3.4 stock firmware "leak" XXJVP

Maybe I have my terminology arseways. Im still using the 2.3.4 stock firmware "leak" XXJVP

Ah, JVP`s a load of arse, JVR is a good one, or even better, ahem, is INSANITY!! lol....

• Advertisement

updated from 2.2 to 2.3.4 JVR using ODIN. so far no issues

updated from 2.2 to 2.3.4 JVR using ODIN. so far no issues
    What guide/link did you follow? Might do this myself over the weekend

Thats the JVP instructions. Where did ya pull the JVR ROM from? I cant seem to locate it when I google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Thats the JVP instructions. Where did ya pull the JVR ROM from? I cant seem to locate it when I google it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1195335

Just bought one of these today, and having a couple of problems.

Shop where i bought it told me to upgrade firmware immediately as the stock One wasn't as good. So i downloaded Kies (which is a load of bollocks, btw) and it gives me an option to upgrade.

Current version is PDA:JPC / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP2(eir) and
    Latest version is PDA:JVH / PHONE:JVO / CSC:JV1(eir)

When i try to upgrade, though it stalls, and then i get an error message as follows....
    2011-08-12 01:40:32

####1's Inner Exception####
    External component has thrown an exception.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException

Stack Trace :
    at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.EnumDisplayMonitors(HandleRef hdc, COMRECT rcClip, MonitorEnumProc lpfnEnum, IntPtr dwData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Screen.get_AllScreens()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Screen.get_PrimaryScreen()
    at CommonModule.UI.Dialogs.KiesPopupFrame..ctor()
    at CommonModule.UI.Dialogs.KiesPopupFrame.Show(Window owner, UserControl usercontrol, String title, Boolean IsCloseButtonVisible, Boolean IsFullScreenMode, Boolean IsCenterScreen, Boolean IsModeless)
    at CommonModule.UI.Dialogs.KiesPopupFrame.Show(Window owner, UserControl usercontrol, String title, Boolean IsCloseButtonVisible)
    at FirmwareUpdate.Agent.FirmwareUpdateAgent.<>c__DisplayClass4.<ShowNormalCautionWindow>b__3()

Don't particularly wanna go flashing it with a custom ROM or anything as its only new and i don't reckon i'm tech savvy enough.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

This might be more suited to a thread on its own, but i switched over from O2 to e-mobile and your one in the shop said it'd take anything up to 24 hrs for that to happen. I had my sim in the new phone for about 3-4 hrs while i was messing around with it, d/l apps etc. and still no sign of it working.

I transferred the sim over to my old phone to make a call but it says "limited service" where it used to say O2 and i can't make/receive calls. Put the sim back in the galaxy, and after booting up and putting my pin in it asks me for a "sim network unlock code", which i haven't got. I realise this might be sorted by morning time, but if not i'll be giving them a ring. Has anyone any experience of this kinda thing?

Btw, can you mute/change the default e-mobile startup/shutdown sound?

Thanks in advance, lads.

Don't particularly wanna go flashing it with a custom ROM or anything as its only new and i don't reckon i'm tech savvy enough.

Thanks in advance, lads.

Well your best bet is to read up on custom ROM`s and then pick one to get, that`s the whole idea with this phone, that your able to do anything with it, custom ROM`s improve everything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lads can anyone recommend a good modem for Ireland and Europe ? I have tried a couple and they all seem to give poor enough reception .

cheers

awhir wrote: »
    lads can anyone recommend a good modem for Ireland and Europe ? I have tried a couple and they all seem to give poor enough reception .

cheers

Well modems will work differently for everyone, depending on where your at.

I been through a hape of them and here`s what works good for me, in the Lily white area...

JPY...good call quality, good signals,9 sats, 30 metre lock, fairly good!!
    JVE...good sound quality on call
    JVP...Outside up to 8 satelites, navigation was very good, fairly overcast, I`d say its a keeper.
    BVJJW2....weak 6 sat, mostly 1-2 sats not to bad...
    JVR... very good, got up to 10 sats in GPS Test, 10 metre lock in Gmaps, perfect lock in G navigation, waiting on a call for quality
    Trying JV5...very good, between 8-11 sats in GPS test, 10 metre lock in gmaps outside, perfect lock in navigation, a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Can someone give me a place to download Odin. I'm going nuts at this Kies muck of a yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

alfaz wrote: »
    Can someone give me a place to download Odin. I'm going nuts at this Kies muck of a yoke

Here ya go
    https://rs173l33.rapidshare.com/#!download|173tl2|429803887|Odin3_v1.7.exe|422|R~2560F88DE1E1BE753095EF032C40C875

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

alfaz wrote: »

Good idea.

Use Odin with caution...

• Advertisement

awhir wrote: »

cheers

ZSJV5. Tried a load of them and its the best by far. No contest for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

A few days ago, I update the software via kies to Gingerbread, all seemed to go ok.

Now my phone is turning itself off unrequested.
    Its also stalling whilst browsing the net...........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it was fine till now.........

.........any suggestions please?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    A few days ag
    o, I update the software via kies to Gingerbread, all seemed to go ok.

Now my phone is turning itself off unrequested.
    Its also stalling whilst browsing the net...........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it was fine till now.........

.........any suggestions please?

Read up on custom ROMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Guys I'm looking to sell on my SGS since I got the SGSII, and I'd like to put the stock ROM/kernel 2.3.4 on it instead of Darkys 9.5, is there anything special I have to do to reset it back?
    Can I just unroot it and then flash it again with Odin, right?

Cheers.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking to sell on my SGS since I got the SGSII, and I'd like to put the stock ROM/kernel 2.3.4 on it instead of Darkys 9.5, is there anything special I have to do to reset it back?
    Can I just unroot it and then flash it again with Odin, right?

Cheers.

No need to unroot
    Disable lagfix then flash stock via Odin. Flashing stock will unroot for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

I cannot fault Darky's 10.2 ROM, The best so far, very little battery drain, runs very fast, and havent had one reboot compared to blockbuster rebooting a couple of times a day, 10/10 so far,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Jusrwent back ti darky 10.2 and when i set up notification sounds as in text tone caller tone and email tone they all get reset after the phone gets rebooted important gonna smash it i swear

moggser wrote: »
    Jusrwent back ti darky 10.2 and when i set up notification sounds as in text tone caller tone and email tone they all get reset after the phone gets rebooted important gonna smash it i swear

What did you come from?

came from a stock rom 2.3.4 nothing different to what i was on before the last time i went back on to Darkys 10.2

AE86JAY wrote: »
    I cannot fault Darky's 10.2 ROM, The best so far, very little battery drain, runs very fast, and havent had one reboot compared to blockbuster rebooting a couple of times a day, 10/10 so far,

kool, so where do I get it and whats involved please?

kool, so where do I get it and whats involved please?

you will get it here along with guide to installing it

Right, looked into doing the darkey install and the video tuitoral, all seems straight forward, but after him selling me to download the Voodoo App to put lagfix on, the app is useless......does nothing.......what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Right, looked into doing the darkey install and the video tuitoral, all seems straight forward, but after him selling me to download the Voodoo App to put lagfix on, the app is useless......does nothing.......what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Voodoo is incorporated into the ROM, ie, when you install the ROM, you will have Voodoo lag fix also.

Downloaded DarkyRom app, but don't see what to do in there?

Downloaded DarkyRom app, but don't see what to do in there?

What is it your trying to do man?

• Advertisement
Advertisement