Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Right, I just had a quick look over the modem notes I have been testing and there`s way to many for me to have the time to sort them out, so I`ll just post up it as I left it, it`s a bit of a mess but heh better than nothing....hope it helps out at least one person, lol.

The sats in GPS Test are "in view" sats, most of the sats where fairly equal in both "in view" and "in use"..also phone/wi-fi signals where practically the same for all of the modems, very little in the difference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

lewis wrote: »
    Right, I just had a quick look over the modem notes I have been testing and there`s way to many for me to have the time to sort them out, so I`ll just post up it as I left it, it`s a bit of a mess but heh better than nothing....hope it helps out at least one person, lol.

The sats in GPS Test are "in view" sats, most of the sats where fairly equal in both "in view" and "in use"..also phone/wi-fi signals where practically the same for all of the modems, very little in the difference...

Great work. Seems jv7 is the best?

I am getting very tempted by ics this past day or 2

Raoul wrote: »
    Great work. Seems jv7 is the best?

I am getting very tempted by ics this past day or 2

It seems to be coming along fairly good, but I'm still holding out for a bit longer.

It seems to be coming along fairly good, but I'm still holding out for a bit longer.

Think I will go for it if I get a chance. If worse comes to worse I can always just flash back to insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Reckon I'm going to go ahead and go with this tomorrow.

Thinking onecosmics builds over pawtips ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Reckon I'm going to go ahead and go with this tomorrow.

Thinking onecosmics builds over pawtips ?

Whats pawtips?

I am not sure where the instructions for installing it are. I am on insanity. can you find them?

Its not that clear, or else maybe I keep missing a section

Edit - Do you just follow this post:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19563068&postcount=1839 and then flash the new beta

Pretty painless to flash it. Took less than ten min after I downloaded it all. Not sure how good it is yet. It isn't picking up my wireless signal that well.

Pretty painless to flash it. Took less than ten min after I downloaded it all. Not sure how good it is yet. It isn't picking up my wireless signal that well.

Which did you go with ?
    Did you backup all your apps before flashing ?

Have the Christmas Party tomorrow so don't want my phone bricked till I can get home tbh.

• Advertisement

Went with onecosmics. To be honest it really took less than ten min and was a lot easier than insanity or darky.

No I didn't back up anything. I don't have that many apps so I just install them fresh each time.

Edit - can't figure out how to zoom on the camera.

That's one to many zip files for my liking, reminds me of when I first started out, flashing loads of zips in order to get a ROM.

Let us know how it goes for you...

That's one to many zip files for my liking, reminds me of when I first started out, flashing loads of zips in order to get a ROM.

Let us know how it goes for you...

It's 3, which you have to more or less do with Cyanogenmod and a custom kernel anyway. Or 2 if you don't want root.

Be interested to see how it goes before I take the plunge tomorrow.
    You get your wifi working properly yet ?

It's 3, which you have to more or less do with Cyanogenmod and a custom kernel anyway. Or 2 if you don't want root.

Be interested to see how it goes before I take the plunge tomorrow.
    You get your wifi working properly yet ?

Nope, its just a bit weak.

What are the three zips that you need to flash?

I thought I was being smart and flashed the pawtips one first and then the onecosmic one over it.

Maybe I missed something

Nope, its just a bit weak.

What are the three zips that you need to flash?

I thought I was being smart and flashed the pawtips one first and then the onecosmic one over it.

Maybe I missed something

The three zips I can see that need flashed are the main build, then the kernel and the superuser ?
    All available from here.

There's another kernel that can be flashed aswell with some new changes.
    http://www.multiupload.com/CPOC9JIIJI
    I have build a kernel from onecosmics sources, but i have added tweaked smartassV2 governor from Zach's neo 18 kernel.

also the partition sizes are little bit different from onecosmics.

this kernel has:
    cache: 17,5 mb
    system: 250 mb
    data: 1,8 gb
    datadata:170 mb

i have also added 2 libs from teamhacksungs gapps 5.1 and the extended power menu from teamhacksung build 4. because of this, the package is about 20mb.

The three zips I can see that need flashed are the main build, then the kernel and the superuser ?
    All available from here.

There's another kernel that can be flashed aswell with some new changes.
    http://www.multiupload.com/CPOC9JIIJI

I didnt need to flash superuser. That other kernel looks good think i will give it a go.

Are you on ics now? Its pretty sweet

• Advertisement

I didnt need to flash superuser. That other kernel looks good think i will give it a go.

Are you on ics now? Its pretty sweet

Just charging her up then going to do a nandroid then will flash it.
    Hopefully all going well will be on it before lunch.

Maybe you kept root after flashing pawtips one ?

Just charging her up then going to do a nandroid then will flash it.
    Hopefully all going well will be on it before lunch.

Maybe you kept root after flashing pawtips one ?

Yeah maybe that was it. Going to try that other kernel in a bit. Really want the extended power menu.

Let me know how you get on

Flashed the ROM and the new kernel and it's on a black screen these past 6 minsutes now. Hmmmm
    Will wait a bit longer then reboot to recovery and flash the original fugu kernel.

How long should it take to boot first time ? They did say it'd be a while ?

Edit: reflashed ROM and normal fuf kernel all booted up now.
    Nice, now to try get my apps back on.

Flashed the ROM and the new kernel and it's on a black screen these past 6 minsutes now. Hmmmm
    Will wait a bit longer then reboot to recovery and flash the original fugu kernel.

How long should it take to boot first time ? They did say it'd be a while ?

Edit: reflashed ROM and normal fuf kernel all booted up now.
    Nice, now to try get my apps back on.
    First impressions? I just put that new kernel on.

Where can you change what is on the power menu?

Right so first major problem for me which I wont get to fix until after the weekend.

Flashed that new kernel and my music wouldn't work. So I went in deleted it all and was going to put it back on. So I was going to put it back on but now my sd card needs reformatting because it is still saying its full.

PC doesn't see the sd card as a storage device so I cant format it. Tried to download an app to do it and it reformatted my internal sd card. :mad: At the moment, I don't have time to do anything else.

• Advertisement

I had problems getting stuff to run frm my eternal SD, where I had backed up my apps and couldn't get them restored.
    Restoring my nandroid from this morningn now.

Sorry to hear bout your problems. Guess fully funtional ICS is just not there yet.

Seems this has an updated SuperUser soemone mentioned this could be a problem with th SD cards ?
    Anyway this latest build has it and I reckon should I be in a fit state tomorrow I'll end up flashing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19820043&postcount=4076

That's what I said lads, its not for every day use....

Seems this has an updated SuperUser soemone mentioned this could be a problem with th SD cards ?
    Anyway this latest build has it and I reckon should I be in a fit state tomorrow I'll end up flashing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19820043&postcount=4076

Thats what i did flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hi I am not familiar to I9000 Galaxy roms, I got a phone from a friend who wants to change roms,

it has cyanogenmod 7.1.0 installed with custom kernal 2.6.35.12-gdf10700

Can i just stick Darkys rom on the sd card and just flash from recovery?

any answer appreciated

Thanks

Auvers wrote: »
    hi I am not familiar to I9000 Galaxy roms, I got a phone from a friend who wants to change roms,

it has cyanogenmod 7.1.0 installed with custom kernal 2.6.35.12-gdf10700

Can i just stick Darkys rom on the sd card and just flash from recovery?

any answer appreciated

Thanks

Go to XDA.com and look for your device, then Darkys thread, you'll find the answer there.

Go to XDA.com and look for your device, then Darkys thread, you'll find the answer there.

posted there already ;) just hoping to run into a poster that has done it before

posted there already ;) just hoping to run into a poster that has done it before

Try reading the OP...

Try reading the OP...

:rolleyes: if you don't know the answer why bother posting?

anyway if anyone wants to know I got it sorted found a DarkyROM 10.2 Resurrection mod that I flashed through Odin and working perfectly

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-darkyrom-10-2-resurrection-gt-i9000.4272/

anyway if anyone wants to know I got it sorted found a DarkyROM 10.2 Resurrection mod that I flashed through Odin and working perfectly

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-darkyrom-10-2-resurrection-gt-i9000.4272/

If you can't be bothered searching and reading why bother posting?

For your info I do know how to do it, you just couldn't be arsed in searching...lots of love.

• Advertisement

Try reading the OP...

You should have just flashed insanity, much better than darkys. well if I was you i would have waited for a stable ics to come out.

P.s Lewis is probably the most helpful person in the thread when you have real difficulty or if your flashing is going badly. Just doesn't like when you ask here when the answer is easily found earlier in the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Three upgraded me to an sgs2 guys. Truth be known, there isn't that much of a diffidence to the original (battery life etc). Sending original galaxy up the north to my dad who is a complete gadget noob!

Just thinking with insanity needing tweaks here and there, i'm probably better off sticking to the latest stock ROM, kernel, modem (I downloaded from samfirmware.com)

Would you agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

For your info I do know how to do it, you just couldn't be arsed in searching...lots of love.

It must be brilliant to know it all.

All you had to do was answer yes or no.i think you have reached the stage where you just don't want noobs in here.

The guy just wanted a little info.hes dead right
    if you didn't want to help why did u bother posting.just keep your mouth shut, after all he didn't ask you the question.

Imo your about as helpfull as a sore toe.your the exact example why noobs are terrified of posting messages, in case they are ridiculed by the likes of you.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Three upgraded me to an sgs2 guys. Truth be known, there isn't that much of a diffidence to the original (battery life etc). Sending original galaxy up the north to my dad who is a complete gadget noob!

Just thinking with insanity needing tweaks here and there, i'm probably better off sticking to the latest stock ROM, kernel, modem (I downloaded from samfirmware.com)

Would you agree?

Nope, any and every custom ROM need a little tweak here and there, that`s the joy of them, Insanity needs very little tweaking to make it "your`s".
    crazygeryy wrote: »

All you had to do was answer yes or no.i think you have reached the stage where you just don't want noobs in here.

if you didn't want to help why did u bother posting.just keep your mouth shut, after all he didn't ask you the question.

Imo your about as helpfull as a sore toe.your the exact example why noobs are terrified of posting messages, in case they are ridiculed by the likes of you.

I know far from it all man, the little I do know is from endless months of reading and reading and searching.

Why would I not want noobs in here, I`m here to help out anyone and everyone, the best way I can, end of and if you don`t like it then tough.

I helped him by not helping him, the way the Android side goes is if you want to do something, read up on it before you do it, cause if you **** it up, sure as hell you`ll be in here pissing and moaning about it.

From what I gather is that this is a forum, all questions are aimed at EVERYONE, so your open to get all kinds of answers, again, if you don`t like it tough.

Well when your "toe" gets stepped on, don`t worry, I won`t help you out.

I`m the reason why noobs are "terrified", don`t make me laugh man, what do you think this is a playground and I`m the big bad scary man? lol

By the way, I`ve helped a fair few people, here and other places..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Your a big pussy cat lol ^^

Ghandee wrote: »
    Your a big pussy cat lol ^^

Not sure how to take that, lol, better to be a little nice eh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

crazygeryy wrote: »

I'm with lewis on this one. Too many people just logging on to forums such as this and going straight in with the question. Couldn't be bothered using the search function or even google. Instead just hoping to find some eejit who has done all the research for them. I used to help out a fair bit on this forum but just grew tired of seeing the same questions getting asked over and over again. Answers to most if not all questions can be found with a quick search.....

Back to ICS today.
    Using Titanium to restore my apps taking it easy and hoping to trim a few of them off.
    Angry birds first on!
    Can't access the market but will wait till I have my wifi at home for that.

Ok flashed teamhacksungs version and the market worked right off the batt.
    Time to give this version a go.

• Advertisement

Ok flashed teamhacksungs version and the market worked right off the batt.
    Time to give this version a go.

I was on that for a couple of days and found it more stable but I got an ipad and I needed to be able to create an ad hoc wireless network and I couldn't do it on that rom. So I had to go back to onecosmics.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1377396

Hi All....I see that there is a 2.3.6 out. Has anyone flashed this yet? From the thread, it seems that there is almost no change from 2.3.5..

Looking forward to getting ICS, but will wait until its a stable daily driver...

So lads from your experiences with ICS, is it worth a try?

So far yeah I'm pleased with it.
    A few apps not working proper yet.
    Tasker being one of them. Seems to get killed somehow.
    Go sms also is only dispalying numbers instead of contact details. Too lazy to try handcent yet may do later.
    Also hear that Go dialer themes aren't working. But I use the normal theme for that.

Other than that for what I use my phone for it seems to do the job.

No multidpi or I can't set it properly but for now 240 will have to do.

I can try some apps for you lewis if you want ?

What would you be usign it for ?

I am really liking ICS. Pawtips seemed better but then the wifi tethering wouldn't work for me and that made it a no go. So I went back to onecosmics.

I had difficulty with getting my music to work but it somehow just magically started to work.

Only actual thing that is wrong for me is the maps problem, where it keeps asking you to login but won't actually let you. Maps still works though so its only a slight annoyance.

Anything else....it doesn't find a wifi signal as good as it used to. Hopefully this will be fixed and I am on 3 and have unlimited data so not a major problem. I also find that the data download speed is a hell of a lot better.

I heard that maps bug will go away after signing in a few times.
    Regarding your ad-hoc wireless, can barnicle wifi tether do this ?

Onecosmics does feel smoother but pawtips will be more official and geared towards CM9 afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

nicebutdim wrote: »
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1377396

Hi All....I see that there is a 2.3.6 out. Has anyone flashed this yet? From the thread, it seems that there is almost no change from 2.3.5..

Looking forward to getting ICS, but will wait until its a stable daily driver...

Can anyone tell me what version of the four firmwares in this link I should use?
    I installed 2.3.4 build number Gingerbread.XXJVP via odin months ago.

I heard that maps bug will go away after signing in a few times.
    Regarding your ad-hoc wireless, can barnicle wifi tether do this ?

Onecosmics does feel smoother but pawtips will be more official and geared towards CM9 afaik.

Yeah I use barnacle to do it. There is also wireless tether but I find the phone get seriously hot doing that.

I read that if you sign in a few times it works but not for me.

How do you change the amount of homescreens. I have 5 but only want 3.

Two other small problems for me:
    Sometimes the screen gets stuck when I try to swipe across to a different homescreen, simply solved by pressing the home button.
    Another is when I am playing music sometimes on the lockscreen I get the music widget and other times I don't. Just totally random.

Yeah I use barnacle to do it. There is also wireless tether but I find the phone get seriously hot doing that.

I read that if you sign in a few times it works but not for me.

How do you change the amount of homescreens. I have 5 but only want 3.

Two other small problems for me:
    Sometimes the screen gets stuck when I try to swipe across to a different homescreen, simply solved by pressing the home button.
    Another is when I am playing music sometimes on the lockscreen I get the music widget and other times I don't. Just totally random.

Only way to get less screens is to use a different launcher, default launcher is stuck with 5.

Don't use my phone for music so dunno about that.

Give another launcher a go see if it solves some of the problems.

I can try some apps for you lewis if you want ?

What would you be usign it for ?

Thanks for the offer man but I'll wait till there's a stable version out.
    I don't have the time to be flashing, I need to be on me own with a quiet room, feckin kids, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Nephew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what version of the four firmwares in this link I should use?
    I installed 2.3.4 build number Gingerbread.XXJVP via odin months ago.

I have a funny feeling that the versions are country specific/related, but I'm open to correction.. PLN is Polish etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement