Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

First try and flash a different modem. Look at xda for modems.

If that doesn't work I would reflash Slim. Make sure that you don't reboot in between flashing the base and the essentials pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

dMaN24 wrote: »
    Panic!
    I bet there's a solution around here somewhere, but i didn't find anything when i searched for reception that might fit in.

I've lost the ability to receive and make calls.

How is this easily amended?
    I've flashed it with CWM and the latest ICS 4.0.4.
    very nice and all.. but i can't use the phone.

Help someone. If only to yell and tell me what to look for.
    I need my phone as i'm looking for work, and i can't believe how stupid i am...

Right. I've stopped and had a quick breath.. Time to make more sense.

Gone from 2.3.5 to 4.0.4

I had to get CWM installed, and for that i used
    update-cm-9-20120408-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd-signed.zip
    Then i ran [4.0.4][AOSP] Slim ICS [3.2] and added the "Essential" pack.
    Was told that Swedish would be included, it's not. (I'm Swedish, in case anyone wondered why an Irish would need Swedish. :P )

Anyway. I'm now stuck with a useless phone.
    Are you connected to the network? What is the Service Status and Mobile network state? (System Settings -> About phone -> Status)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Raoul wrote: »
    First try and flash a different modem. Look at xda for modems.

If that doesn't work I would reflash Slim. Make sure that you don't reboot in between flashing the base and the essentials pack.
    Never restarted in between. Thought i found something similar to modem, but i'm not sure.
    cdb wrote: »
    Are you connected to the network? What is the Service Status and Mobile network state? (System Settings -> About phone -> Status)

"Not recognized" or something in that way.

I have since tried to reflash again to slim, reflash back to stock, brick the phone, unbrick it and i'm starting to get fairly (pardon the language) pissed at this crap-phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

crap-phone.

Phone is far from crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Never restarted in between. Thought i found something similar to modem, but i'm not sure.

"Not recognized" or something in that way.

I have since tried to reflash again to slim, reflash back to stock, brick the phone, unbrick it and i'm starting to get fairly (pardon the language) pissed at this crap-phone.

When you flash to stock you brick it ?
    Start from step 1, what are you doing ?
    This phones are extremly hard to brick, so it must be something small you're doing wrong.

Brick might be wrong. That's what i assumed. [Phone] ! [Computer]

And i've lost track of where i started, tbh.
    It's been looping for the last 30 minutes if not more. Wiped cache and factory reset.

lewis: Maybe so, but when an upgrade to 2.3.5 went flawlessly when i did it before, and now i've been working with this almost half a day, i'm inclined to state that something is messed up.

Edit: back in Clockworkmod.

Let's try this all again..
    Kernel: Semaphore ICS 1.0.0
    Rom: Slim ICS
    Firmware 4.0.4
    And something called "essentials"

Brick might be wrong. That's what i assumed. [Phone] ! [Computer]

And i've lost track of where i started, tbh.
    It's been looping for the last 30 minutes if not more. Wiped cache and factory reset.

lewis: Maybe so, but when an upgrade to 2.3.5 went flawlessly when i did it before, and now i've been working with this almost half a day, i'm inclined to state that something is messed up.

Edit: back in Clockworkmod.

Let's try this all again..
    Kernel: Semaphore ICS 1.0.0
    Rom: Slim ICS
    Firmware 4.0.4
    And something called "essentials"

Check the download of the rom & essentials aren't corrupt. Try match md5 if you can. This had me for ages before.

I'm back and running on 4.0.4
    Now to solve that no coverage thing. I've got a spare sim-card at home. Might check if it's something odd with this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

if you have an issue with the phone looping, handy thing about the Galaxy S, is you can get a rom thats able to be flashed via odin, which just needs your phone in download mode.

I'm back and running on 4.0.4
    Now to solve that no coverage thing. I've got a spare sim-card at home. Might check if it's something odd with this one.
    If you dial *#06# what are the first 4 numbers in the imei number?

• Advertisement

Well.. I get a quick flash, then nothing more than a blank IMEI-window.
    I tried to ad the APN manually earlier today aswell, but it didn't seem to stick.

I've tried to follow this guide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLK_2I-SBM
    Samsung Galaxy S (IMEI Restoration Techniques)

Which includes a way to restore and backup the efs.
    I have a copy of everything, and also uploaded it to the phone again, to the right folder (i hope) but still nothing.

Well.. I get a quick flash, then nothing more than a blank IMEI-window.
    I tried to ad the APN manually earlier today aswell, but it didn't seem to stick.
    Did you do a backup of the phone before starting? Just copy the contents of the original efs folder to the current efs folder. You need root privilege to do this - use root explorer from Google play. Restart the phone.

This is in addition to having the right APN settings.

I did a backup with Titanium before all this. But not for the efs-folder specifically.
    I've replaced the efs-folder through Root explorer aswell as checked the hex-files.

But it seems that one of the lines (the first one) doesn't exist.

Would it be possible to check with any of the "hole in the wall" phone-repair shops?
    If i contact Vodafone i'd probably just be shunned as i've updated the rom previously aswell.

I did a backup with Titanium before all this. But not for the efs-folder specifically.
    I've replaced the efs-folder through Root explorer aswell as checked the hex-files.

But it seems that one of the lines (the first one) doesn't exist.

Would it be possible to check with any of the "hole in the wall" phone-repair shops?
    If i contact Vodafone i'd probably just be shunned as i've updated the rom previously aswell.
    While I didn't have to do this myself the other option suggested on XDA was to flash a stock gingerbread ROM from Samfirmware using ODIN. This supposedly restores your original imei.

Gave it a shot, but came up as fail, when i tried to use Odin and latest stock-rom (2.3.6)

NOW it's completely dead. Not reacting to either recovery-mode or bootloader-mode (or how to call it.)

I pulled the battery, and will see if i can get it going again.

Edit:
    A little more than 20 mins later and the same thing.

Phone is officially dead. :/

Gave it a shot, but came up as fail, when i tried to use Odin and latest stock-rom (2.3.6)

NOW it's completely dead. Not reacting to either recovery-mode or bootloader-mode (or how to call it.)

I pulled the battery, and will see if i can get it going again.

Edit:
    A little more than 20 mins later and the same thing.

Phone is officially dead. :/

What steps did you take when flashing through Odin?

Can you not get into download mode now?

If it is really hard bricked.
    Do a search for unbrickable mod. Loads of stuff over on XDA.

lewis wrote: »
    What steps did you take when flashing through Odin?

Can you not get into download mode now?
    I was going to be cheeky and say "the wrong way" first. But i went into download mode, started Odin and loaded all the md5's from the stock rom and connected it. At first it got stuck at "setupconnection" So i tried it a few more times, and got it to work.

Only to receive a "FAIL". I tried to restart but nothing.
    Ste- wrote: »
    If it is really hard bricked.
    Do a search for unbrickable mod. Loads of stuff over on XDA.

Cool. Might get me a soldering iron. :D

I found a jig on eBay aswell. But 6-12 days delivery is a bit long. :(

Still never said if you can get into download mode?

Here`s a link for when you get the jig.

You have Kies off don`t you?

• Advertisement

I was going to be cheeky and say "the wrong way" first. But i went into download mode, started Odin and loaded all the md5's from the stock rom and connected it. At first it got stuck at "setupconnection" So i tried it a few more times, and got it to work.

Only to receive a "FAIL". I tried to restart but nothing.

Cool. Might get me a soldering iron. :D

I found a jig on eBay aswell. But 6-12 days delivery is a bit long. :(

Does anything happen when you try turn it on ?
    Would the battery just be dead ?
    Plug it in for a few hours see how it gets on, then try download mode again.
    They are as has been said very hard to hard brick!

Just out of interest what version of ODIN did you use?

1.3 is your best bet.

Ste-: Battery was fully charged 5 hrs ago. Haven't used it more than to reflash it here at work.
    If i'm remembering things correctly i should have if not full battery then atleast 80% left.

But hey, no harm in letting it charge.

lewis: After the fail popped up i was still in download-mode. re-seated the battery and nothing.

No reaction when i plugged it in the charger, btw.

Edit: Odin-version? At this stage it was 1.3, but i've used other versions (aswell as this one) without any issues previously.

Clearly user-error. >.<

Keep trying to turn it on. Don't give up. Happened me a few times where I thought that it was bricked but eventually it did get into download mode.

Leaving the battery out for 30 minutes has worked for some.

If you can`t get into download mode then get that jig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've a jig you can borrow if you like, I'm based in d2? You can see if it does anything when you plug it in

Give this a shot it's a stripped down Odin. I use it when I need to restore for anythign I've fecked up.
    Afaik, there's three or so version of Odin. 1.3, 1.7? and ezodin.
    Actually know that I think of it you could try heimidal. Altho not much use either if you can't get to download mode.
    Do you have access to linux at all ? See if that sees anything with lsusb with phone connected ?

Cheers all.
    Griffdaddy: I might take you up on that if i won't get it to work. :)

Edit: A little over an hour later...

<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
    <ID:0/008> File analysis..
    <ID:0/008> Enter CS for MD5..
    <ID:0/008> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <ID:0/008> Please wait..
    <ID:0/008> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <ID:0/008> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/008> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/008> boot.bin
    <ID:0/008> Sbl.bin
    <ID:0/008> param.lfs
    <ID:0/008> modem.bin
    <ID:0/008> cache.rfs
    <ID:0/008> Removed!!
    <ID:0/008> Completed..
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Now it's at the start-up "Galaxy S" screen.

Tried Odin3 v1.3 this time.

Will only boot into Download-mode.

PIT: s1_odin_20100512.pit
    PDA: APBOOT_I9000XWJVZ_CL762604_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    PHONE: MODEM_I9000XXJVT_REV_00_CL1064602.tar.md5
    CSC: GT-I9000-CSC-HOME-MULTI-OXAJVT.tar.md5

And i have to be honest about not being sure where to put which. Might have been the cause for the botched flash previously.

I prefer CWM and just point towards a zipfile. :)

And i have to be honest about not being sure where to put which. Might have been the cause for the botched flash previously.

I prefer CWM and just point towards a zipfile. :)

Ah come one man, just now your saying this?

Have a look at this.

It should get you out of the hole...

I feel slightly like a dumbass right now...

But i can take it, because the phone is working again. :D

Slag away, people. :P

Thanks to all for the help, and from now on i realize tht manuals aren't only for girls. ;)

• Advertisement

Not at all, you got it sorted! Well done. I think we've all been there.

cdb wrote: »
    Not at all, you got it sorted! Well done. I think we've all been there.

Anyone at all who flashed custom roms has most likely at one point or another had to use Odin/Heimidal.
    If they haven't then they aren't on teh cutting edge and may aswell stick to stock.

Ste- wrote: »
    Anyone at all who flashed custom roms has most likely at one point or another had to use Odin/Heimidal.
    If they haven't then they aren't on teh cutting edge and may aswell stick to stock.

Or buy an (idiot)phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

So quiet in here, everyone must be happy with slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I was getting random crashes and got a random reboot on 2.9 so I did a full Odin JVQ wipe, formatted SD and then to Slim 3.4 yesterday. Not much new from 2.9 other than the OTA app for updates. Very happy with it.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I was getting random crashes and got a random reboot on 2.9 so I did a full Odin JVQ wipe, formatted SD and then to Slim 3.4 yesterday. Not much new from 2.9 other than the OTA app for updates. Very happy with it.

I noticed that it gets a lot faster from 3.2 onwards. There was a massive freeup of memory somehow. Now any time I check I have over 100mb free and previous apps just open exactly where they were without having to load again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I've just updated to slim 3.4 and I have to say I'm very impressed. It took me a while to get used to the launcher and to set the phone up the way I like but overall it is nice and slick.

One question...on the previous ICS rom I was running I was able to get the back/menu buttons to light up if I received an email/text so was using them as a notification light...does anyone know if I can do the same thing with this rom?

Get blink light notification and that will sort it out :). You may have to edit some settings but I am not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Raoul wrote: »
    Get blink light notification and that will sort it out :). You may have to edit some settings but I am not sure.

a quick search revealed backlight notification on the market (play) which worked perfectly, thanks Raoul :)

a quick search revealed backlight notification on the market (play) which worked perfectly, thanks Raoul :)

Its in with the ROM.... I think, lol.

My heads been wrecked the past few days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I flashed the latest version of slim last night and love it. Coming from an old version of darkys that was extremely laggy the last few weeks,its like having a new phone. The only problem is I don't think my battery performance was great today. Any ideas

I flashed the latest version of slim last night and love it. Coming from an old version of darkys that was extremely laggy the last few weeks,its like having a new phone. The only problem is I don't think my battery performance was great today. Any ideas

Give it a few cycles before it levels out, it`ll get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In a spot of bother here.

Used the Dark OTA app to download and install a new kernel, not sure what the version was but long story short my phone is now in a boot loop. Can boot into recovery and download mode and have used ODIN in the past to install ROMS but a bit stuck as to where to go from here and what files to use.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Got sorted following Raouls post here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76721076&postcount=4500

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Slims seems to be the way to go looking at this thread.

Slim 3.5 is out http://www.slimroms.com/changelogdownloadlink.htm

minor changes only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Slim 3.5 is out http://www.slimroms.com/changelogdownloadlink.htm

minor changes only.

Flashed it first thing this morning. No issues, same as before. Man I love this ROM

The OTA update app is great, you get reminders of new versions on boot. The app downloads to SD and you have the option to reboot to recovery from within the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Which of the i19000 Zips do I download from here? Just wondering as there are 4.

http://slimics.haxer.org/Slim_ICS/404/3.5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

anyone know of a free way to change toe lock screen, i hate the glass swipe just want traditional 2.1 or 2.1 swipe unlock. I don't want to have to flash a custom rom but if need be i will :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Which of the i19000 Zips do I download from here? Just wondering as there are 4.

http://slimics.haxer.org/Slim_ICS/404/3.5/

There are only 2 for the i9000
    You need the one last modified at 15:04

Advertisement