Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flippin' Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 28-06-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

I bought 4 pairs of school uniform trousers in Dunnes last week. They weren't the ones I really wanted, but I asked and the others I wanted were sold out, so I bought these, tried them on the child, they fit, so I chucked the receipt.

The following day my mum spotted the trousers I originally wanted being unpacked (:rolleyes: the day before there was no hope of getting them..), so she got me 4 pairs.

I brought the original 4 back, without receipt, and explained what had happened, and asked could I get a credit note. Not a hope - but I could exchange them..:confused: I said "well I don't need anything right now, so can I have a credit note instead" (which was a lie - I was just broke after paying nearly €100 on 8 pairs of trousers). I asked could I get cigarrettes instead then. Nope. This is a drapery/off license only Dunnes, but we have another Dunnes which is grocery so I could have used the credit note for there instead.

I did say I could get a bank statement showing the Laser payment. Nope.
    So apparently I have a month to exchange them for something in-store.

While all this was going on I was holding my puppy, I would never leave him down in a shop, but it was baking hot in the car and I didn't know how long I would be. So an assistant passes and starts cooing at him and took him from me, and let him down (he was on a lead). The manager passed and she said "Ooh look XXXXX isn't he lovely?", he said "that dog SHOULD NOT be in here". The girl was mortified, and tried to explain that I had been carrying him, but he stomped off.

Sooo.. I got outside into the car, I had bought a parking ticket and had only used 10 minutes of it, the Dunnes parking attendant was passing me as I was leaving so I said did he want to give it to someone else, that there was almost an hour on it. He rolled his eyes and said "that's no use to me" and sneered.

Bit of an essay, but what a sh*te shopping experience that was. :p

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I bought 4 pairs of school uniform trousers in Dunnes last week. They weren't the ones I really wanted, but I asked and the others I wanted were sold out, so I bought these, tried them on the child, they fit, so I chucked the receipt.

If thats the information available at the time then it was correct, the floor staff can't see into the future
    The following day my mum spotted the trousers I originally wanted being unpacked (:rolleyes: the day before there was no hope of getting them..), so she got me 4 pairs.

May have been added to the delivery by the suppliers in fairness
    I brought the original 4 back, without receipt, and explained what had happened, and asked could I get a credit note.

Legally they have to do nothing
    You bought the items you then changed your mind, ok you may not like it but that doesn't make it wrong
    Not a hope - but I could exchange them..:confused: I said "well I don't need anything right now, so can I have a credit note instead" (which was a lie - I was just broke after paying nearly €100 on 8 pairs of trousers).

Exchange is pretty fair to be honest, they are being nice by allowing that
    There is no law the means they have to allow an exchange for a change of mind

Seems pretty fair to be honest
    While all this was going on I was holding my puppy, I would never leave him down in a shop, but it was baking hot in the car and I didn't know how long I would be. So an assistant passes and starts cooing at him and took him from me, and let him down (he was on a lead). The manager passed and she said "Ooh look XXXXX isn't he lovely?", he said "that dog SHOULD NOT be in here". The girl was mortified, and tried to explain that I had been carrying him, but he stomped off.

Doesn't matter if the dog was sitting on your head it should not have been in the shop at all, unless of course it is a guide dog which I'm doubting.

If you knew you were going to the shop you shouldn't have brought the dog with you, you can't blame Dunnes for when you don't follow the rules
    Sooo.. I got outside into the car, I had bought a parking ticket and had only used 10 minutes of it, the Dunnes parking attendant was passing me as I was leaving so I said did he want to give it to someone else, that there was almost an hour on it. He rolled his eyes and said "that's no use to me" and sneered.

Unlikely the "dunnes parking attendant" as you put it is even employed bvy Dunnes stores, likely a third party company.

He has better things to be doing then hanging around with your ticket to give it to somebody else.

If you wanted it to benefit someone else why didn't you just hand it to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A ****e experience indeed but one of your own making. You have absolutely no legal right at all to exchange the goods, even if you had the receipt. They're not faulty you have just changed your mind. Anything Dunnes offered you was a goodwill gesture so the fact they have offered you 30 days to exchange the goods within the store is beyond reasonable.

The dog shouldn't have been in the store no matter how much the sales assistant cooed over it and it makes no difference if he was in your hands - it's a hygeine issue as much as a trip hazard. I'd also imagine that considering you were in the situation you were in that any authoritive figure from Dunnes would have appeared confrontational / abrupt with you as you were on the defensive as such.

The carpark attendant wasn't the most helpful for you but I can guarantee he/she could have been sacked for passing on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Cabaal wrote: »
    If thats the information available at the time then it was correct, the floor staff can't see into the future

May have been added to the delivery by the suppliers in fairness

Just poor customer service imo.

Legally they have to do nothing
    You bought the items you then changed your mind, ok you may not like it but that doesn't make it wrong

No, I didn't look for a refund, and I was offering proof of purchase - there is an ATM in-store from which I could have got a mini statement. These school uniforms fly off the shelves, so rather than them being shoved in a cupboard here, someone else could have used them.

Exchange is pretty fair to be honest, they are being nice by allowing that
    There is no law the means they have to allow an exchange for a change of mind

If they are (kindly) offering an exchange, then what on earth difference is a credit note?
    Doesn't matter if the dog was sitting on your head it should not have been in the shop at all, unless of course it is a guide dog which I'm doubting.

If you knew you were going to the shop you shouldn't have brought the dog with you, you can't blame Dunnes for when you don't follow the rules

There are no rules. I checked and there was no sign up. The puppy is tiny, you can hold him in one hand. Obviously I'm not going to bowl round Dunnes with a fully grown German Shepherd in my arms.

Unlikely the "dunnes parking attendant" as you put it is even employed bvy Dunnes stores, likely a third party company.

I don't care who pays him. He works in the privately run Dunnes Stores car park. It was just a kind gesture, no skin off my nose if it's wasted.
    He has better things to be doing then hanging around with your ticket to give it to somebody else.

Drama much?! How hard would it be?
    If you wanted it to benefit someone else why didn't you just hand it to someone else?

No other cars were about.

I've figured out a way around it though, I will bring all 8 pairs back. The second lot, which I have the receipt for I'll get a refund/credit note for. And I will exchange the first lot for the second lot. :D

(And I'll prob have the dog with me too!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TequilaMockingBird I was going to answer your points, but its clear dispite logic being right infront of you your going to try and justify your actions no matter what.,

As such there's no point in reply.....

I will however address this
    There are no rules. I checked and there was no sign up. The puppy is tiny, you can hold him in one hand.

Doesn't matter if its the smallest puppy known to man, you should not have brought it into the shop full stop.

Signs don't come into it, a dog has no place in dunnes, tesco etc unless its a guide dog, the fact you didn't ask before entering the shop shows that you didn't even check.

• Advertisement

TequilaMockingBird I was going to answer your points, but its clear dispite logic being right infront of you your going to try and justify your actions no matter what.,

As such there's no point in reply.....

That's what I thought when I read your post! (But I wanted to make my points clearer.)

We shall agree to disagree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

I've figured out a way around it though, I will bring all 8 pairs back. The second lot, which I have the receipt for I'll get a refund/credit note for. And I will exchange the first lot for the second lot. :D

Even with the reciept you are not entitled to a refund/credit note.

Mataguri wrote: »
    Even with the reciept you are not entitled to a refund/credit note.

They said if I had the receipt I could have a credit note, so hopefully it will work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

While I wish you good luck please dont conflate consumer law with goodwill in future.

If goods are faulty ( their mistake ) consumer law applies
    If goods are wrong ( your mistake ) consumer law does not apply

I don't see the difference between offering an exchange and a credit note. This is my point.

They are not losing money, the goods are perfectly re-sellable. They were just being jobsworths imo.

(I've worked in retail for years, I have a degree in Retail Management, I owned my own shop for years, I just think they were being awkward.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless you're looking to cause trouble, you really shouldn't do that. An animal has no business being in a shop. It's a health and safety issue, and Dunnes would find themselves in a lot of trouble if they start letting customers bring dogs into their stores.

jor el wrote: »
    Unless you're looking to cause trouble, you really shouldn't do that. An animal has no business being in a shop. It's a health and safety issue, and Dunnes would find themselves in a lot of trouble if they start letting customers bring dogs into their stores.

They need to put a sign up then. As I said, this is a non-grocery store, and the dog was in my arm, it was the staff member who put him down. He was down for about 10 seconds and I was trying to get him back (afraid he would pee).

I really don't want to discuss that bloody dog again:(

You are not entitled to a refund because the goods are perfect, a credit note is a perfectly good substitute considering you are not even entitled to that either.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I really don't want to discuss that bloody dog again:(

You are not entitled to a refund because the goods are perfect, a credit note is a perfectly good substitute considering you are not even entitled to that either.

That's what I want - a credit note!

I was replying to a previous post about the dog, not to you.

Tell them the goods are exchangeable now because it is peak school clothes season and that they need them on sale today to get rid of them ....not in 30 days time..and could you have a credit note for the drapery department for your next visit. They will concede in the end if you catch them when they are busy. It's analagous to exchanging the christmas decorations in January.

Oh! and I never buy school trousers in Dunnes, Marks and Sparks are much better..last years they do. Dunnes for the polo shirts FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I brought the original 4 back, without receipt, and explained what had happened, and asked could I get a credit note. Not a hope - but I could exchange them..:confused: I said "well I don't need anything right now, so can I have a credit note instead" (which was a lie - I was just broke after paying nearly €100 on 8 pairs of trousers). I asked could I get cigarrettes instead then. Nope. This is a drapery/off license only Dunnes, but we have another Dunnes which is grocery so I could have used the credit note for there instead.

Bit of an essay, but what a sh*te shopping experience that was. :p

Most shop staff do not have a clue what's on what deliveries coming in when. Not their fault, and you shouldn't have got rid of the receipt- obviously you couldn't have seen either that the ones you wanted were going to come back in, but without it you might as well have robbed the original lot. You didn't get a credit note because they don't do them, they do goodwill refunds and exchanges, therefore credit notes are a bit defunct. They give giftcards for stuff bought on giftcards or for people who have the item and receipt but not their credit card- you could have enquired nicely about that and see how far you got. They're not obliged to give you anything- an exchange up to the value is being generous. You bought drapery products, therefore you can get drapery products in the exchange. They can't cross them with grocery (if there had been one). Why not go back and enquire about a gift card to the value? And stop going on about the credit notes THEY DO NOT DO.

They do have signs about dogs, on the sides where the doors are. Maybe not in all Dunnes but the general rule in all shops is guide dogs only. The only thing Dunnes staff have to do with carparks is getting the trolleys from them- they're not attendants.

See my cunning plan here:

Most shop staff do not have a clue what's on what deliveries coming in when. Not their fault, and you shouldn't have got rid of the receipt- obviously you couldn't have seen either that the ones you wanted were going to come back in, but without it you might as well have robbed the original lot. You didn't get a credit note because they don't do them, they do goodwill refunds and exchanges, therefore credit notes are a bit defunct. They give giftcards for stuff bought on giftcards or for people who have the item and receipt but not their credit card- you could have enquired nicely about that and see how far you got. They're not obliged to give you anything- an exchange up to the value is being generous. You bought drapery products, therefore you can get drapery products in the exchange. They can't cross them with grocery (if there had been one). Why not go back and enquire about a gift card to the value? And stop going on about the credit notes THEY DO NOT DO.

They do have signs about dogs, on the sides where the doors are. Maybe not in all Dunnes but the general rule in all shops is guide dogs only. The only thing Dunnes staff have to do with carparks is getting the trolleys from them- they're not attendants.

Apologies, I mean a "Gift Card" rather than credit note. Isn't it the same thing, but for the purpose of my post I used the term "credit note" to make it clearer. They wouldn't give me one.

As I said, no signs on doors.

As I said, I don't care who pays the bloke in the DUNNES carpark with DUNNES written on his jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You're outside of the terms of getting a giftcard refund, that could be it I suppose. Bear in mind with your plan you have to go to the customer service desk for exchanges and refunds (exchanges were knocked off all tills a year ago). Not that they can refuse you, I think the only grounds is that you can't get a refund on something you previously exchanged. Sign or not, I've seen them in Dunnes and it's common knowledge in all shops. The manager probably would have said nothing if he'd seen you carrying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

...I had bought a parking ticket and had only used 10 minutes of it, the Dunnes parking attendant was passing me as I was leaving so I said did he want to give it to someone else, that there was almost an hour on it. He rolled his eyes and said "that's no use to me" and sneered....

Parking tickets are non-transferable. If you wanted to give one to someone else, you would have to do it yourself "unofficially". You can't expect the staff to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't see the difference between offering an exchange and a credit note. This is my point.

They are not losing money, the goods are perfectly re-sellable. They were just being jobsworths imo.

(I've worked in retail for years, I have a degree in Retail Management, I owned my own shop for years, I just think they were being awkward.)

I have worked in Fashion retail for 11 years, in all 5 companies I worked in, this was the policy:

Exchange with in 1 month of purchase with out receipt. 'Next' had a daily updated sales based ordering system which meant you could return goods with out a receipt, for a gift card in one transaction.

Any deviant form this can cause shrink unless you adjust the book stocks. I can explain this to you, but I'm sure it as covered in your Retail Management degree.

emanresu wrote: »
    Parking tickets are non-transferable. If you wanted to give one to someone else, you would have to do it yourself "unofficially". You can't expect the staff to get involved.

That's fine, but he didn't have to so rude about it. He acted like I'd just shouted abuse at him.

I usually pass them on if I pass a car coming in, but there wasn't any and he was passing so I thought "ah sure I'll offer it anyway..".

The experience was just a lot of unnecessary irritations in 10 minutes, that all could have been avoided if people were a little more reasonable.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have worked in Fashion retail for 11 years, in all 5 companies I worked in, this was the policy:

Exchange with in 1 month of purchase with out receipt. 'Next' had a daily updated sales based ordering system which meant you could return goods with out a receipt, for a gift card in one transaction.

Any deviant form this can cause shrink unless you adjust the book stocks. I can explain this to you, but I'm sure it as covered in your Retail Management degree.

Should've got them from Next. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

in relation to the trousers, the staff are given strict policy to follow and don't have the authority to change them. what they offered was beyond what you were legally entitled to

with the dog, it is a given that dogs aren't allowed because they could end up deficating on the floor, attacking a child that gets too close, etc
    not that I think a dog that small would be too much of an issue, but if they don't make it a cross-the-board rule it'd be too hard to enforce

and with the parking, as mentioned already, they are non-transferrable, and the car parks are run by private operators, so nothing to do with dunnes or their staff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

in relation to the trousers, the staff are given strict policy to follow and don't have the authority to change them. what they offered was beyond what you were legally entitled to

with the dog, it is a given that dogs aren't allowed because they could end up deficating on the floor, attacking a child that gets too close, etc
    not that I think a dog that small would be too much of an issue, but if they don't make it a cross-the-board rule it'd be too hard to enforce

and with the parking, as mentioned already, they are non-transferrable, and the car parks are run by private operators, so nothing to do with dunnes or their staff

I take it as a given that a dog is allowed unless theres a sign saying their not.

I bring my dog into shops, cafes, trams, buses, trains and hotels.

Never had a problem with it deficating on the floor.

Its more likely a child would hurt my dog than the dog hurt anything

I take it as a given that a dog is allowed unless theres a sign saying their not.

Bringing a dog into a place that sells or makes food is a big big no no in fairness, in addition it very upsetting for anyone who has a fear of dogs.

Sure I guess there's no sign about bringing food into a restaurant or cafe so I guess thats ok to...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I often feel people are harshly hammered in this forum if they're in the wrong but:
    They need to put a sign up then. As I said, this is a non-grocery store, and the dog was in my arm, it was the staff member who put him down. He was down for about 10 seconds and I was trying to get him back (afraid he would pee).

Shall I bring my pet tarantula too so? He fits in one hand and there's no sign up saying no pet arachnids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I bet there's no sign saying you can't drive in the shop either. Don't have to worry about parking, sweet. I'm glad this has been cleared up. OP do you not think you are being unreasonable? You bought something you now don't want, but threw away the only proof the shop requires for them to offer an exchange and then come on here giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wasn't aiming it at anyone in specific, but if they didnt have it as a general rule you'd have people coming in with rottweilers, dobermans, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

And you think its legal to bring a dog into a shop ???

Your degree didnt go through basic laws ??

Dont think much of it to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement