Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flippin' Dunnes Stores

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've worked in retail for years, I have a degree in Retail Management, I owned my own shop for years, I just think they were being awkward.

It's a shame you seem to have learned nothing from it! :rolleyes:
    Go and read Cabaal's post. Read it twice, if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

(I've worked in retail for years, I have a degree in Retail Management, I owned my own shop for years, I just think they were being awkward.)

Have to say, people who work in retail are actually the hardest to deal with when it some to stuff like this. They really can't get it into their heads that DIFFERENT SHOPS HAVE DIFFERENT POLICIES!!!!
    I hate when people think they are entitled to things they are not just because they think if they're awkward and ignorant enough they'll get their own way, they really don't understand that you could get fired for bending the rules in response to their petulant little tantrum.
    OP, I really hope you've thought about this and realised that Dunnes were being more than reasonable, YOU bought the trousers and YOU changed YOUR mind, there was no defect. YOU threw away the reciept and as such all proof of purchase (a mini statement does not list items purchased you could've bought anything in dunnes that day) and so you have to be grateful for anything they offer you as under consumer law you have no rights whatsoever.
    I'm not even going to start about your pigheaded attitude about that puppy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Lol. You're a cranky lot!

No, I'm afraid I still feel exactly the same way.

And remember kids, attack the post not the poster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bringing a dog into a place that sells or makes food is a big big no no in fairness, in addition it very upsetting for anyone who has a fear of dogs.

Sure I guess there's no sign about bringing food into a restaurant or cafe so I guess thats ok to...right?

That doesn't make any sense .

1. Its a fact that its normal on the continent, your bring your dog in unless theres a sign specifically stating its forbidden.
    2. Fear of dogs??? Thats like saying clowns should be banned from shopping centers, my mate has an irrational fear of them.
    3. People who own dogs have them in their kitchen and they havent died from food poisoning yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

And you think its legal to bring a dog into a shop ???

Your degree didnt go through basic laws ??

Dont think much of it to be honest.

Can you post a link to this law specifically banning animals from premises ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

And remember kids, attack the post not the poster.

Your post is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Cabaal wrote: »
    If thats the information available at the time then it was correct, the floor staff can't see into the future

May have been added to the delivery by the suppliers in fairness

Legally they have to do nothing
    You bought the items you then changed your mind, ok you may not like it but that doesn't make it wrong

Exchange is pretty fair to be honest, they are being nice by allowing that
    There is no law the means they have to allow an exchange for a change of mind

Seems pretty fair to be honest

Doesn't matter if the dog was sitting on your head it should not have been in the shop at all, unless of course it is a guide dog which I'm doubting.

If you knew you were going to the shop you shouldn't have brought the dog with you, you can't blame Dunnes for when you don't follow the rules

Unlikely the "dunnes parking attendant" as you put it is even employed bvy Dunnes stores, likely a third party company.

He has better things to be doing then hanging around with your ticket to give it to somebody else.

If you wanted it to benefit someone else why didn't you just hand it to someone else?

wow talk about doing things by the book. bet its a barrel of laughs in your house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Love dogs, have had pets all my life - at the moment have one dog, she is like my child, when I go on hols or weekends away I make sure I book pet friendly accomodation.

Not in a million years would I bring her into a shop, not when she was a puppy- not now she's 3yrs old, never. Not everybody is inclined towards animals, and a lot of people are afraid of them, children and adults.

It's practically a given that all shops and shopping centres in Ireland do not allow dogs with the exception of guide dogs.

OP I think you should rethink your stance concerning your "irritations" with Dunnes. They did nothing wrong.
    And I wouldn't push bringing your dog in after you have been specifically told not to by a manager.
    As I'm sure you know "Management reserve the right to refuse admission"
    which most stores use to refuse known shoplifters, vagrants, nuisances, even groups of students at times.
    and if you deliberately go against company policies then that may apply to you.

Lol. You're a cranky lot!

remember kids, attack the post not the poster

Leading by example, yeah?
    (PS, When did you become a mod?).

1. Its a fact that its normal on the continent, your bring your dog in unless theres a sign specifically stating its forbidden.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Ireland is not on the continent, we're actually an island, so what they do on the continent is completely irrelevant.

I really can't see how this has turned into a dog rant, I think it shows the OP's attitude for what it is that they would bring a pup back into a shop after being told not to by a manager. I have 2 dogs myself and wouldn't dream of bringing them into a shop, it's not a place suitable for dogs plain and simple and i.m.o nothing distresses a dog more than an atmosphere where they feel they're not wanted.
    OP you know what? do whatever you want and defend your actions by calling us cranky you're only showing yourself up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

2. Fear of dogs??? Thats like saying clowns should be banned from shopping centers, my mate has an irrational fear of them.
    3. People who own dogs have them in their kitchen and they havent died from food poisoning yet :)

What about people who have allergies to dogs ?

Are they expected to be subjected to dogs when they go shopping so people can bring their pets with them ?

CoalBucket wrote: »
    What about people who have allergies to dogs ?

Are they expected to be subjected to dogs when they go shopping so people can bring their pets with them ?

True. Or people who are allergic to perfume? I always wear it. Or PEANUTS, I always have an emergency bag in my handbag. :eek:

I am a DANGER to society.

For what it's worth, I am actually terrified of dogs, I would never dream of letting the dog get close to any child, or adult for that matter. And he is a tiny Bichon Frise, which you wouldn't even notice in my arm, and is apparently great for people who have allergies for dogs, they don't shed I believe.

I simply carried the dog in as the car was baking hot and he's so young he's not able for the heat. I wouldn't dream of bringing him into a food store, I have peeped my head round the doors of other shops and said "sorry, is it okay if I come in with him?". Obviously, when he is bigger I wouldn't bring him in anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yis are all a bunch of feckers. OP was only having a moan about a shop with bad customer service and ye all attack the post saying everything was legal and you're an idiot of you think differently.

I don't think there's really too much doubt that legally it's above board, it's just bad service which is what the post was saying.

And if you don't agree that it's bad service, then you're the idiot.

I simply carried the dog in as the car was baking hot and he's so young he's not able for the heat. I wouldn't dream of bringing him into a food store, I have peeped my head round the doors of other shops and said "sorry, is it okay if I come in with him?". Obviously, when he is bigger I wouldn't bring him in anywhere.

Why did you bring him with you when you knew you were going to a shop at all?
    And why would you bring him back now you know you're not allowed? Whatever about there being a sign on the door, you have been informed by a manager now so you know you cannot bring a dog in there.

It's a full moon, I think that's why so many knickers are getting twisted!

It's not the end of the world, it was just a series of events that made the trip a pain in the ar*e. Lots of pissed off jobsworths getting cranky in the heat I guess.

It was the parking bloke that tipped me over the edge I think. :p

you always know when someone has realised they were in the wrong when they try to make a joke out of the people they invited to comment on their actions :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

budgemook wrote: »
    Yis are all a bunch of feckers. OP was only having a moan about a shop with bad customer service and ye all attack the post saying everything was legal and you're an idiot of you think differently.

I don't think there's really too much doubt that legally it's above board, it's just bad service which is what the post was saying.

It wasn't bad service at all and I'm no idiot nor is anyone else here who disagreed with the OP's view. :)

you always know when someone has realised they were in the wrong when they try to make a joke out of the people they invited to comment on their actions :D:D:D

Er.. no, I still know it was crap customer service, which was my original point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's not bad service. It has been interpreted as bad service by the OP as she didn't get her own way. (when she wasn't entitled to it!)
    OP may be having a moan - but it's a consumer issues board. Not a moan board. Thats in ranting and raving.

You always know they've lost when they churn out that line IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We aren't on the continent, they allowing smoking indoors over there we don't here.
    Can you post a link to this law specifically banning animals from premises ?
    Can you post a link that specifically bans motorcycles from premises?

It's not bad service. It has been interpreted as bad service by the OP as she didn't get her own way. (when she wasn't entitled to it!)
    OP may be having a moan - but it's a consumer issues board. Not a moan board. Thats in ranting and raving.

Obviously it's an interpretation. I just happen to agree with it and think people who do not are idiots. Just my opinion. This is consumer issues, seems to me like she has certain issues as a consumer. Seems like the right spot to me. I think some people just like to disagree and put people down a lot. Best of luck to them I suppose.

And he is a tiny Bichon Frise, which you wouldn't even notice in my arm

Really? Two shop staff were able to see him.
    and is apparently great for people who have allergies for dogs, they don't shed I believe.

Well you "believe" wrong, there is actually no such thing as dogs that don't shed, maybe you should have looked that up before spending your money on the dog. I suppose next we'll have a rant from you about that :rolleyes:
    I simply carried the dog in as the car was baking hot and he's so young he's not able for the heat.... Obviously, when he is bigger I wouldn't bring him in anywhere.

He won't be able for that heat when he's older either.
    I suggest buying a book on dog care, you seem to know about as much about dogs as you do about retailing- i.e., not much.

It wasn't bad service at all and I'm no idiot nor is anyone else here who disagreed with the OP's view. :)

I beg to differ :)

Magenta wrote: »
    Really? Two shop staff were able to see him.

Well you "believe" wrong, there is actually no such thing as dogs that don't shed, maybe you should have looked that up before spending your money on the dog. I suppose next we'll have a rant from you about that :rolleyes:

He won't be able for that heat when he's older either.
    I suggest buying a book on dog care, you seem to know about as much about dogs as you do about retailing- i.e., not much.

Magenta, reading your sig, you do seem "angry". I'm not trying to anger you, I'm just giving my point of view on an internet forum. You absolutely don't have to agree, but maybe chill out a little. It's no biggie.:)

This has completely gotten out of hand....the OP feels they were in the right and thats fine, but at least have some basis in consumer law before you take it to consumer issues. The OP had no rights and nobody would have a problem with them for complaining about being told off for having the dog if they hadn't said they would flout the rules and bring it back in.

Personally i think their own idea of bringing back the correct ones for a refund and exchanging the wrong ones seems like a very sensible idea to me.

If the store have a problem with them doing that then just do the transactions on separate days

This has completely gotten out of hand....the OP feels they were in the right and thats fine, but at least have some basis in consumer law before you take it to consumer issues. The OP had no rights and nobody would have a problem with them for complaining about being told off for having the dog if they hadn't said they would flout the rules and bring it back in.

Personally i think their own idea of bringing back the correct ones for a refund and exchanging the wrong ones seems like a very sensible idea to me.

If the store have a problem with them doing that then just do the transactions on separate days

I am well aware of consumer rights, I was simply exasperated that they would (as I said "kindly") offer me an exchange but not a credit note. That's being awkward.

So breaking the dog rule is bad but conning them to provide a service that they don't want to is ok? Seems hypocritical to me. I think both things are fine, just saying.

So breaking the dog rule is bad but conning them to provide a service that they don't want to is ok? Seems hypocritical to me. I think both things are fine, just saying.

Conning them? I really don't think so....they offered them an exchange within the drapery so if the OP were to get different trousers that would be what Dunnes were offering no?

In the meantime the OP is perfectly entitled to get a refund on goods they are returning in perfect condition with the receipt according to dunnes policy.

I.M.O as someone who is in retail I know what I would prefer a customer to do....take the exchange and get a refund on the other ones, leaving me without a confronational customer and with sellable stock within the proper window of sale.

I hardly think anyone is being conned there and you are just stirring for the sake of it

• Advertisement

Conning them? I really don't think so....they offered them an exchange within the drapery so if the OP were to get different trousers that would be what Dunnes were offering no?

In the meantime the OP is perfectly entitled to get a refund on goods they are returning in perfect condition with the receipt according to dunnes policy.

I.M.O as someone who is in retail I know what I would prefer a customer to do....take the exchange and get a refund on the other ones, leaving me without a confronational customer and with sellable stock within the proper window of sale.

I hardly think anyone is being conned there and you are just stirring for the sake of it

If you had to be sneaky about it by going on different days, as you suggested, then yes, you are trying to con them. Otherwise you'd be able to do it on the same day, maybe you can, but you suggested conning the store if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement