Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who re-sat the HPAT this year, how do your results compare?

• 28-06-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Was there much of a difference? ACER claim it shouldn't vary. And if it did, how did it change? More practice? Prep courses? Luck? Or something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dubhcait

for me there was a huge difference. last year i hadnt a clue. i only did the sample booklet. this year i just did a course in my school which was really good. i found that i had to really look at the answers i got wrong in all the section. we spent ages trying to find possible patterns to section 3 and i had to try and figure the right mind set for section 2. i did way better this year. i never thought id do as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Morale of the story, you have to fork out even more money to prepare for the HPAT to get into medicine now?

@Dub, grats on the result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Went up from 163 to 167 which could actually make a huge difference considering that 550 last year would have given me the minimum points anyone got in with.

Could have gone up a lot more. Got on to several questions that I found easy but didn't have the time to finish, ironically because I started with the last few questions of the first too sections and then went back to the start, and if I had have just gone straight through I would have finished them :D

In case your wondering
    1)60 2)42 3) 65

I cant remember exactly what I got last year but I think that I went down in section 2 and 3 and up by a bit in section 1, though 2 was always my worst, I kept rereading things over and over and that allowed me to run out of time.

Little disappointed but I suppose any improvement is progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

H2student wrote: »
    Morale of the story, you have to fork out even more money to prepare for the HPAT to get into medicine now?

@Dub, grats on the result. :)

True:rolleyes:- I improved from 0-20 percentile to the 86th percentile. Practise practise practise is the name of the game. Plus taking a year to study purely Hpat I felt was crucial-not having to split my attention between the Leaving and Hpat takes the weight off your shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

What about people who did prep courses? Did you do better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

zam wrote: »
    Definitely,I went up from 0-20th percentile to 60th at 157,still only have 707 though,but it proves that you CAN improve your score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

i did a prep course and went from 153 to 187! hadnt a clue last year, so that course was the deciding factor methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Anyone who did well mind pming me the names of the prep courses you did? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

Institute of Education, Bruce College Cork, Limerick Tutorial*[in my opinion prepared me the most], Career Services and ****- ouch I have a head ache even thinking back on it all. Practise is crucial, the more exam experience-the better;)

wouldbedoc wrote: »
    Institute of Education, Bruce College Cork, Limerick Tutorial*[in my opinion prepared me the most], Career Services and ****- ouch I have a head ache even thinking back on it all. Practise is crucial, the more exam experience-the better;)
    :eek:You must have spent a fortune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

zam wrote: »

Now I didn't do excellently but my score did improve with practice. I went from 129 to 160. Did the Institute of Education's prep course last year but didn't find it too helpful. They just gave you stuff that you can workout for yourself like timing,etc. They did give practice tests which helped most in the preparation. Personally, I think that UMAT and HPAT papers are a far more worthwhile investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mayo123

Does anyone know what percentile a score of 150 is this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

mayo123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what percentile a score of 150 is this year?

According to the ACER website, a score of 150 is the 50th percentile. You can use the graph that they have published to work out other scores percentile's and see how the entire population of candidates performed.

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=13

Advertisement