Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's food in them thar hills

• 28-06-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Got a bonus spin yesterday and toiling up Powerscourt to Glencree noticed loads off bilberry's by the verge so filled my water bottle as treat for the wife and kids (it's the thought that counts).
    This comes after the wild garlic of last month and the elder flowers still in bloom.
    So if anyone spots me off the bike on a steep ascent, I'm "foraging", not resting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i need a big wicker basket on the front, for when the mushroom season starts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

Lest we not forget to mention refilling Bidon's with cool,clear water from a fresh mountain spring.
    That is providing one knows where to looksie.

kill a sheep and drag it home behind you (or borrow dfd's trailer) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Only sissies kill them first - nothing like really fresh meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I think the xtracycle would be better, particularly in the mountains.

And maybe two lambs rather than a sheep, just for balance.

118545.jpg

DFD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

it sounds like bear grylls and ray mears are in this thread..where was the wild garlic found by the way??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

are bilberries = frochans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Died For Dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

RoundTower wrote: »
    are bilberries = frochans?

Err, me no speak Irish. Bilberries (English) aka blaeberries (Scottish) aka blueberries (American)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

it sounds like bear grylls and ray mears are in this thread..where was the wild garlic found by the way??

Wild garlic is found in abundance in the verges around Enniskerry, it seems to associate with mature deciduous trees. All along the stretch from Enniskerry to the fork going to Ballinastoe. Also in St Anns Park in de Northside if that's handier.

• Advertisement

flowers pretty much gone now theres only a couple of spots near me (look out for white flowers and the smell of garlic !
    wild-garlic-with-flowers-337x450.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Shouldn't you find the source if you're drinking water from a stream?

he said mountain spring (not sure where he finds them but i'm guessing its a distinction from a slow running stream with a dead sheep in it a hundred yards away - fast moving water is normally ok - thers a holy well in sligo where water gushes out wouldnt have any prob drinking from that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

stalking on the sally gap in September ,noting as nice as sitting and eating frockens in the autumn sunshine ,watching at the world zoom by .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

souter wrote: »
    Err, me no speak Irish. Bilberries (English) aka blaeberries (Scottish) aka blueberries (American)

frochans are like smaller bitterer blueberries, I have never seen real blueberries growing in the wild, but would love to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

sometimes you get lucky and find a pic-i-nic basket

3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I eat a ton of mussells, oysters, periwinkles, mackerel and mushrooms during the Summer from various spots around Galway Bay, love foraging.

Advertisement