Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

new "Slim" Elite Transfering hardrive data

• 28-06-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

HEY,

I plan on getting this but this part is annoying me as apparently you need a Transfer kit that is not available at retail??

Ive heard they have favoured using usb to transfer this stuff?,:confused:

As i plan on trading my elite i just want to get this cleared up by someone in the know, as in the procedure,

Im sure lots will run into this grief so here is a vid of how to use the kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyxTHfi27w

This should also help (retrieving purchased stuff)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962228

The only thing is you need both hardrives in order to do it, and i dont plan on buying the slim, doing the transfer, then trading in the slim and kit for peanuts.

As far as i know the cable will be available at retail in july for 20 Squids.

if anyone hears of any good services being offered , shout.

cheers
    s
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You can use a usb stick or external hard drive, plug it in to the xbox and format it under memory in system settings. You can have at most 16gb of space.

Then its a matter of going into the game data and moving each one to the external drive. Move the profile and game saves, dont bother with game installs as they will have to be reinstalled if you move to a new console.

As for dlc, you can move to a memory stick aswell, however you really should relicense it for the new xbox from xbox.com as if you don't you won't be able to play it unless connected to live. This process of relicensing / redownloading is time consuming if you have as many songs in Rock band etc as I did.

In short the only thing you can really lose / need is the saves everything else is replaceable / recoverable from live.

Actually be sure to move the profile aswell as some arcade game save data in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

You'll be able to buy a transfer cable as well for 20 blips the same day the slim comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

game will transfer over all the data for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If you give gamestop a €10 deposit they give you the cable then let you transfer the data at home, then you bring the old xbox back in, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

dunworth1 wrote: »
    game will transfer over all the data for you

I asked this in Game Galway at the weekend and they said they wont ...but that they would be selling the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I asked this in Game Galway at the weekend and they said they wont ...but that they would be selling the cable.

maybe its store dependent then because. a friend of mine asked in game limerick and he was told that they would do all of the transferring for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

That's what I don't get. If you want to trade in your existing console against the new one, the transfer cable is useless because you've already handed over yer Xbox?! I don't get it, they keep trying to get you to trade in your console, but they keep giving me reasons not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shaneraff

thanks for replies lads, they should put more focus on this if the want to push this console as who wants to loose all their stuff?

Ive already preordered it in game but its just the hassle of spending again to
    buy the transfer kit , go home then come back and trade them, maybe if the didnt charge you for it, like the deposit idea, where you can collect the kit , tranfer the data then return it with the trade, then refund you once you complete the trade. makes sense. (but not financial sense for them of course) :pac:

Advertisement