Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on quitting job

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All,
    I am about to give notice to my employer. I have been with the company nearly 18 months and technically im supposed to give 3 months notice. Im going to Australia in 3 months so if I really have to I could work for another 3 months.

What im hoping is that they will just ask me to leave and I will get a couple months pay for nothing. Im working in Finance and have access to loads of confidential information so im hoping they will just ask me to leave and still pay me. I could also try and get fired but would like to get a reference.

Any advise please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

There not going to let you go with pay. You will more than likely have to work for the 3 months..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

As you arent leaving to go to a competitor you wont be put on gardening leave, they'll make you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you are not going to work elsewhere and it states a 3 month notice in your contract you need to hand your notice in now.

As for Gardening leave that is entirely at the companies discretion. It normally happens in Sales related jobs or those who are involved in higher up management decisions in a company. The only person I have seen been sent on Gardening leave in Finance from any company I have worked for is the Financial Controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

OP,

Gardening actually does happen more than you would think.

But you would need to fill certain criteria:

You are not very junior in the company.

You have access to Competitior sensitive data.

Gardening normally happens to people working in Marketing - however I would suggest telling your employer than you are considering moving to a competitor and that you "thought you should let him know"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

3 months?! That seems excessive! I'm sure they would take less.

As for payment in lieu ... who are their biggest competitor? Tell your boss you are in talks to take an identical role with the competitor and you want a reference ;)

I seriously can't see any company offering to pay a quarter's wages for someone to stay at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement