Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So... I've almost bought a new bike

• 28-06-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hello!

Just looking for some advice...

I've put a deposit on my first "fancy" bike - a Giant Dash 2 (yay!) and I'll probably be picking it up on Thursday. My employers aren't doing the bike to work scheme so I'm trying to keep costs down as best I can. The bike itself is €859.

I've been told I should replace the tyres - the standard ones (Kenda Kwest, 700x28mm) are apparently very prone to punctures. So that's an extra €70 to change them.
    I'm just wondering has anyone any experience of these tyres and is it definitely necessary?

I'll also be getting a decent Abus lock with it, spare tubes and mudguards. I'll need these straight away (well mainly the lock) so don't want to buy them online.

Anything else absolutely essential? I have a helmet, lights & high vis gear already.

I'll be using the bike for my commute daily (only 4km each way) and I plan on starting with at least 1x20km and probably a 10km a week too. I've had to give up running due to injury so cycling is my new sport of choice!!

(forgive me for sounding like such a noob!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you order online today you should have the stuff around Thurs.

No need to spend €70 on tyres. For 28mm tyres I'd choose Gatorskins @ €22.42 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

TBH, unless you're getting stuff changed for free, I would buy no more than the bike from the LBS. Online prices are much better.

Mind you, have you told them you're not getting the Bike to Work discount? They might be more sympathetic to discounting as they lose something like 8%-10% in commission to the Bike to Work brokers (if your company was foolish enough to use one).

Of course, your company may not have researched the Bike to Work scheme and may have said 'no' on reflex. If you present them with a case including how little they have to do they might be more inclined to do it. All they have to do is pay the bike shop's invoice and deduct that amount from your pay (before taxes, prsi, levies). They actually save a small amount in employer's PRSI contributions while you save the most. There are no forms for them to fill, no revenue stuff. Worth detailing the case to them before you give up on that option completely.

I would be asking them to swap the tyres for free. €70 is very pricey. If not, these Gatorskins are GBP18.50 each and you'll have them in about a week.

How decent is the Abus lock? What model is it? This Kryptonite lock is the business, particularly if you're going to be locking the bike up on the street. It's currently GBP55 (the price varies on amazon, last week it was GBP45). Same lock is €120 or so in the dublin shops so it would be worth your while waiting the week it would take for this lock to arrive.

Anyway, best of luck with the new bike and we'll see you out and about shortly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Thanks loads for the info! I think maybe I am better off just getting everything online... can't really justify paying double for the tyres & locks.

@cdaly: The Abus lock was this one it's €60. But I think maybe you're right about buying the Kryptonite online. I won't be locking it on the street very often but don't want to take any chances!!

My employers are UK based and we have no HR over here. I have emailed them several times with every bit of information required and explained it costs them nothing. I'm the third person to try get them to do it and still nothing!! They do the travel pass scheme and gym membership which work similarly so I don't really see why they have a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i had kenda tyres on my giant and I was getting an average of one puncture per week. when i bought a track pump and properly inflated the tyres this reduced slightly but i was still getting a puncture every time i went out for a longer spin.

got the gatorskins and haven't had a puncture since (roughly 5 or 6 100kms now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

captain P wrote: »
    @cdaly: The Abus lock was this one it's €60. But I think maybe you're right about buying the Kryptonite online. I won't be locking it on the street very often but don't want to take any chances!!

Or GBP40 from amazon. Also it's a 12mm thickness shackle while the Kryptonite is 18mm. It has a bigger U which makes it easier to get a hydraulic jack in there (that's how they break U locks). The Kryptonite is a much smaller U so it will fit a sheffield stand and either a wheel or the frame but not both. You should in any case be using some kind of cable to secure the wheels to the frame as well. I use a Kryptoflex cable along with the lock though others recommend two separate locks instead.

Bummer about work but, when you finally get them to do it, you'll be able to get your second bike on the scheme...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have over 1000km on the Kendas that came with the Giant, if you don't put 110 psi or so into them you will be more prone to punctures but in the 1000km I have had 4 punctures so don't know why you would be getting so many punctures!

Good luck with the bike OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Or GBP40 from amazon. Also it's a 12mm thickness shackle while the Kryptonite is 18mm. It has a bigger U which makes it easier to get a hydraulic jack in there (that's how they break U locks). The Kryptonite is a much smaller U so it will fit a sheffield stand and either a wheel or the frame but not both. You should in any case be using some kind of cable to secure the wheels to the frame as well. I use a Kryptoflex cable along with the lock though others recommend two separate locks instead.

Bummer about work but, when you finally get them to do it, you'll be able to get your second bike on the scheme...

I have a standard cable lock I used for my old bike so I'll probably use that as a second lock and get the Kryptonite... just means I can't lock it on street for a few days til it arrives!

Oh, and thanks Yop :)!

Just got the official word from HR: "It's not beneficial for either employee or employer." Where did they come up with that nonsense!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

yop wrote: »
    Have over 1000km on the Kendas that came with the Giant, if you don't put 110 psi or so into them you will be more prone to punctures but in the 1000km I have had 4 punctures so don't know why you would be getting so many punctures!

Good luck with the bike OP

Thats still quite a few punctures. i ve a giant too and have put conti 4000 S's on and they are night and day better, the rolling resistance is unreal on the conti's, the kenda's feel bumpy even on the best roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

in the 1000km I have had 4 punctures

i'm doing about 200kms a week, so my one puncture a week is no far off yours there. as i said, once the tyres were changed i haven't had another puncture.
    Just got the official word from HR: "It's not beneficial for either employee or employer." Where did they come up with that nonsense!!??

is there not some tax saving for the employer ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My last Conti GPs went 10,000km with 3 or 4 punctures (2 or 3 of them in the last two weeks) and my current Conti GPs are 3,000km without a puncture. I always have 120psi in the rear and 110psi in the front.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My last Conti GPs went 10,000km with 3 or 4 punctures (2 or 3 of them in the last two weeks) and my current Conti GPs are 3,000km without a puncture. I always have 120psi in the rear and 110psi in the front.

Bloody hell!!!! :eek: ****Quickly googles chainreactions for a new tire ;) ***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bloody hell!!!! :eek: ****Quickly googles chainreactions for a new tire ;) ***
    much cheaper with merlin in the uk and ribble

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Under normal circumstances, employers' PRSI is 10.75% on the salary. Therefore if an employee was to use the full €1,000, there is €107.50 tax saving for the employer. Assuming your employer is in the business of earning a profit, I would argue it is beneficial!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, I've had mine for a long while now and as far as I can remember I've only had one puncture. Still haven't punctured on my gatorskins either, despite heading into town on Sunday night with stupidly low pressures and fearing the worst (about 60/70 front and rear).

Definitely worth it but remember there is a lot of luck involved and no tyre is puncture proof, just more resistant.

Merlin normally have good tyre deals, but 5 euro shipping (if anyone wants to go for a group order let me know!). I need a cheapish set and am swayed by the offer they have for 2 pro 3 race for 57 euro.

Advertisement