Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pashley bikes.

• 28-06-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife is considering buying a Pashley bike, one of these I think. I'm just wondering if Pashley bikes are worth the money or are there better bikes out there to be had for same money. The attraction to Pashley for her is the upright cycling position.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're good looking but very heavy, designed for riding slowly in a skirt.

My wife bought a green Princess Sovereign last year and it hasn't been ridden in almost that long, but that's not the bike's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Thanks Lumen.

Is there any orther brand that makes very upright bukes that would be lighter then Pashley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

snollup wrote: »
    Is there any orther brand that makes very upright bukes that would be lighter then Pashley?

Dawes springs to mind. Better value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I used to courier for DHL and some bright spark had the idea to get Pashley bikes made for the company. Refused to use them after a week. As Lumen said VERY heavy, and with that, very slow moving and imposible to steer through traffic. Exactly not what you want for city cycling. There's lots of bike now available that would be a joy to cycle and still with an upright riding position.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

• Advertisement

thanks all for you advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

snollup,
    I hope I'm not too late. I was going to buy a Pashley years ago, for its upright position and good looks. I ended up getting a Giant Cypress LX, and put a wicker basket in front – so it’s pretty enough. It's far more comfortable than the Pashleys that I saw. The Giant Cypress LX I think is no longer available, but have a look at the Giant website for the Expression.which is very similar.

think she is going to go for the Dawes Diploma in the end! thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

My missus got a Pashley last year and absolutely loves it to bits. People are always stopping to admire it aswell.
    It is a very heavy bike, but for pottering around it is a joy to cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Claude Butler have some nice traditional bikes also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gwendilater

I love my pashley pure style! I get comments on how lovely it is all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You could also check out Bear Bicycles in Dublin, and take one for a spin.

http://www.bear-bicycles.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pashleys & Dutch bikes are awesome, don't worry about weight and manouverability, your wife is not a courier... Also cafe creme bikes are worth considering, available at fitz cycles in stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

an post use pashley s and there heavy even with no mail on them solid bikes do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

p wrote: »
    You could also check out Bear Bicycles in Dublin, and take one for a spin.

http://www.bear-bicycles.com/

I've had a good look at these and I think they're beautiful bikes. The people who import them are lovely and I'm sure you'd get great backup service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

There's more upright dutch style bikes available from http://dutchbikeshop.ie/

Advertisement