Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly plumbed apartment - my rights

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I purchased an apartment in <snip>, Dublin approx 2.5 years ago. I bought from an individual who bought from plans but was never lived in prior to me moving in,

I noticed at the time the water in the toilet after I flushed was very hot. Considered it nothing more than a nuisance until last week when the toilet started leaking from the cistern. I called a plumber out who said it was the boiling water in the cistern that was causing damage and valves and washers etc were literally melting.

It could be a very big job to fix. Does anyone know my rights here? Should <snip>, the builder, stand over this error and fix it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
    Darren

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Legal problem is that it was snagged and 'passed' by the original purchaser. If the builder has unsold units they have a foreman on site somewhere, go see them. If the word gets out that the Northern Cross apartments have ****e plumbing they will not be able to sell the remaining units in <snip> because of the faulty substandard plumbing.

Threaten the media on the builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DBoyd

Thanks Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DBoyd wrote: »
    Hi all,

I purchased an apartment in Northern Cross, Dublin approx 2.5 years ago. I bought from an individual who bought from plans but was never lived in prior to me moving in,

I noticed at the time the water in the toilet after I flushed was very hot. Considered it nothing more than a nuisance until last week when the toilet started leaking from the cistern. I called a plumber out who said it was the boiling water in the cistern that was causing damage and valves and washers etc were literally melting.

It could be a very big job to fix. Does anyone know my rights here? Should Walls, the builder, stand over this error and fix it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
    Darren

Very big job? Maybe a hour to bring a cold water feed to the toilet(possibly less depending on the pipe work) and twenty quid to replace everything inside the cistern.

I would start with asking another plumber out who won't turn it into a big job.

As for builder, its been like that for two and a half years. They are not responsible for it after one year, its up to the occupant to point out the work for snagging during this period. And you readily admit you ignored it for a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Similar happened in our development, but it was discovered while the developer was still on-site. Not really a major job to fix at the time (just changing of pipes coming out of the tank), and it was too soon for damage to be caused (thankfully).

Your biggest problem is the fact that it is over 2 years since the place was finished, so it now turns out that you are liable for any cost of repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property as I think you'll get better advice there

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your solicitor and find out about the defects liability period. This is likely to have start at the time of contract / occupation, not when you bought the option from someone else.

It is not so clear whether this is a patent (typically 1-2 years) or latent (6-12 years) defect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DBoyd

Thanks all for the advice. Decided to bite the bullet and get it sorted. Developer decided not to correct the mistake.

Thankfully SID31417t came out and fixed it for me. Was of great assistance and was very fair on price, strongly recommend Sid if anyone else has plumbing related issue's,

Thanks Sid

Advertisement