Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not pay rent

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I have house in Limerick rented out to a polish family for the past 4 years. They have told me they that they have been cut out from rent allowance and social welfare since January and have no income. They have been cut off because they are from another country they have told me. Could this be true? How could I find if they were still receiving any benefit ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

are they saying this so they dont have to pay you your rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 planning

Thats what I want to find out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why do you care ? Its not your problem either way.

Its a financial transaction if they cant pay tough they move out. I suspect their possible taking the piss here. So be prepared taht you might need to start eviction proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

They have been cut off because they are from another country
    I would be stunned if it was that black and white, must be another side to that story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Surely it doesn't matter to you if it's true or not.

If they are not paying rent then you evict them, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

planning wrote: »
    How could I find if they were still receiving any benefit ?.
    Tell them to pay up, or get thef**k outta your house. You'll be surprised how quickly they'll "sort out" that problem of no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think maybe the OP means that he thinks they may be holding back money that is being given to them?

OP; you had to fill in and sign forms re the Rent Allowance; contact the Welfare Officer who those forms were sent to .

Tell him the situation and he will be able to advise; if they are withholding from you he will stop the money etc.

Look up Community Welfare Officer online and/or go to your Local Citizens Informations; address also on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

when did you last get rent of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

That is not your problem OP.
    Get them to move out .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If they haven't paid rent since January, I would initiate eviction proceedings for non payment of rent.

Just make sure that you follow the correct procedure or else you'll be in more trouble! Further information can be found on the prbt website: http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

If the tenant has gotten away without paying rent for this long, regardless of whether or not they are receiving rent allowance, it is likely that they see you as a 'soft touch' and have very little intention of paying what they owe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement