Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can boss force me to announce pregnancy?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

About 3 years ago I told my employer I was pregnant. It was all fine except she told me that she wanted me to announce it at our next weekly team meeting to approx 10 colleagues.

I told her I really wasn’t comfortable with that and didn’t think it was necessary. I told her I was 14 weeks so was more than happy for people to know, I had told some close colleagues already, would be telling others when I had a chance and that there was no problem with her telling colleagues but I just didn’t like the public nature of having to make an announcement about it. It just felt a bit embarrassing and I have never heard of anyone having to do this before. I ran it by a few friends in other work places who were pretty horrified about the idea!

Anyway, the following week she called me into her office, said someone had asked her if I was pregnant and that sort of speculation was the reason why she wanted me to announce it the next day. I said I would speak to the person who had asked about me but again didn’t want to make a public announcement.

The following week my boss never mentioned it to me, but made the announcement on my behalf. I was embarrassed and very annoyed about the whole thing. I really felt bullied into making something personal so public. I actually spoke to the HR manager about the events and she felt it was very badly handled by my boss and that there was no need for an announcement – she was not aware of any requirement for it be handled in that way.

Anyway, I am expecting again (I know, I know). I will probably be telling my boss in about 4 weeks and am anticipating the same problem. (She has recently done the same thing to a colleague who I know was also very upset about the whole thing).

My questions:
    • Does an employer have a right to force you to tell colleagues or, more specifically, to make a public announcement about pregnancy?
    • I would like to pre-empt this problem, by saying in advance that I do not want an announcement made. Is there anything in legislation that protects me? I don’t think there’s anything in the maternity act, but to be honest I think this is more of a bullying issue.
    Your thoughts would be welcome.

Comments

Not sure about the law but people are going to find out anyways - why not announce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Unless your pregnancy will in some way affect your work or visa versa then i wouldnt bother telling your boss until such time as you are required to under the maternity leave rules.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I have never heard of a boss announcing a pregnancy - but dont think that there is any legislation /guidelines about it.

have you asked her why she feels the need to do this? it might be that she wants to put a halt to gossip or something? or is it to do with long term planning of a workload distribution? or is it a health and safety issue if she has genuine reasons maybe a compromise you both feel suitable might be reached?

does your staff handbook address confidentiality of personal information? i would look there if i were you. if not, then i would tell work you consider it to be a medical matter and therefore not up for discussion. if you are feeling especially mischevious then the a suggestion of gender inequality might work- do expectant fathers in your team have to announce it? if not, why not? i bet if you mentioned this in HR the 'announcements' would quickly stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

All you have to do is inform your employer that you are pregnant at the earliest date. Then that is your duty done.
    Check your employee handbook to see what confidentiality agreement must be met between management and yourself.
    Citizens advice gives a small bit of information
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

Advertisement