Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai ix35 vs Nissan Qashqai

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm looking to change my car and I'm really tempted by the ix35. However as I've got a '99 at the mo I don't know if I should try to avail of scrappage, which isn't offered on the ix35 as it's Band C.

Nissan are offering €4000 scrappage on the Qashqai 1.5l d. I haven't checked into what their straight deal offer would be but I think at best it would be 23k ish and I don't think I would make €2k on my car.

So prices would be - €27,000 cash for the ix35 2l d vs €21,500 for the entry level Qashqai 1.5l d with scrappage. No point going for any higher spec Qashqai as I might as well go for the ix35 then with the small price diff.

My heart says the ix35 but my head says to avail of scrappage while it's on offer. In terms of spec both cars seems similar, so in my mind, the advantages of the Hyundai are looks, engine size and warranty. However I also know I liked the look of the Qashqai when it first came out but now I think they're dated, so I could see the same happening in my mind with the ix35.

There is going to be a 1.7l ix35 but I don't know the release date of this or whether it would qualify for scrappage. From what I've read it's likely to have the current 2l price.

There's also the possibility that I could trade the Qashqai against the ix35 in a year or two. If I bought the ix35 and it was reliable I could see myself keeping it for 5 years+.

What do you folks think? Do I keep €5k+ in my pocket now and go for the Nissan - possibly trading it in a year or two? Or just 'invest' in the ix35 and try to sell my '99 for cash?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Qausqai without a shadow of a doubt. The Hyundai is only on par with class average and will be , like all Hyundais , out dated in about 18 months.

The Nissan has near enough as much space, is better on fuel , is nicer to drive , has a very good re-sale value and its cheaper. No contest! :)

........or try a Kuga ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Nissan is a nice looker... what about a Peugeot 3008?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

For me I would say the ix35. Bigger, longer, wider than the Quashqi. Comes with 5 year warranty. Much better looking. Just out on the market whereas the quashqi should be due a new model soon after its recent facelift. 1.5 ltr engine is dead and they are ten a penny on the road. Just my opinion but if you are spending that kind of money I think you should go with what the heart wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Another vote for the Hyundai. They look far nicer, have more space and if your keeping it for 5 years or more then the 5 year warranty looks attractive. Nissans are fine but they are 10 a penny on the road. That said though €5K plus is alot of wedge though I would suggest that the Hyundai is in a class above the Nissan. Pug 3008 is worth a look though. Kind of between the two but only a 2 year warranty though it does qualify for scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The Hyundai cos i drive a Sonata & today i very nearly got hit by a Qashqai. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I wouldnt buy either tbh. They only do the same thing as a car. How about the toyota rav-4 or a skoda yeti.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PSol

Thanks all.

- Like the Kuga but it's outside my price range and it's a Band D min.
    - Rav4 is a Band C but also outside my price range :( - would probably be my ideal though.
    - Pug has good reviews too but I'm a bit wary of the reliability and wouldn't feel easy with just 2 years warranty.
    - No offence to Yeti drivers but just don't like the look of them at all at all.

Long fan of Nissan although I understand reliability is starting to suffer a bit in the last few years too hence I'm not too uncomfortable veering away from them. But the ix35 is really the max of my budget.

Keep the opinions coming :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

At your budget ,this would be along the lines of what I'd go for....

no-image-large.gif&width=120&height=90
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/Avant-2./201025198505224/advert?channel=CARS

or

[URL="javascript:skupe_ChangeImage('http%3A%2F%2Fuser.skupe.net%2Fimages%2F53953%2Fimgser-ieservletmediaid10264934.jpg',300,400,932)"]getImage?URL='http%3A%2F%2Fuser.skupe.net%2Fimages%2F53953%2Fimgser-ieservletmediaid10264934.jpg'&height=60&width=75&pubid=932[/URL]
    http://motornet.ie/usedcars/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

I had a look inside the hyundai and I wasnt impressed at all! Build quality was poor, every thing felt plasticy and cheap. The stitching on the seats looked like it wouldnt last long and the gear stick felt like it would snap off in my hand!

cant comment on the nissan but i would imagine the build quality would be better than hyundai.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's frankly hard to understand why anyone would even consider paying €5500 more for a Hynundai :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

On price, because of your scrappage I'd go with the Qashqai.
    On looks the IX35 has it, but if you take into account resale value the Qashqai has it.
    It's nice to drive, solid build, the 1.5d lacks power but it's ok.

Here's a review of the 2007 model, it's the same as 2009. The 2010 model is a facelift but it's the same underpinnings and the 1.5d engine is the same too. Be aware there's going to be a new model coming in 2011/2012 for Ireland, no pictures yet.

http://smokerspack.com/2010/06/22/nissan-qashqai-1-5dci-2007/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 neadycodd

My last car was the 1.5d Qashqai and I really enjoyed the drive in it, lots of space and I loved the look. I drive quite a lot so when I hit the 100km the time came to trade in. I saw the ix35 and loved it and so this is what I currently drive.

For me, because of the distance I drive, the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty was what really caught my attention at first. The lovely exterior shape and amount of interior space is great. Its a solid drive but does seem to drink diesel (that could be because most of my driving is on motorways at 120kph!).

Its a hard choice between these two cars as there are a lot of similarities. The Qashqai has become extremely popular, I see them everywhere now, and I agree that the look seems somewhat dated, but still attractive. Overall, I'm happy with my choice and feel I will be able to hold onto this car longer than others because I'm not being held to ransom by hitting the magic 100km!

Good luck with whichever you choose and happy driving :)

Advertisement