Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any options left other than Eircom?

• 28-06-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey everyone.

I moved half a year ago... and I still don't have a broadband provider. I went the phone-line route originally, had massive trouble with eircom and switching the line over to someone else (cost me a lot) - then more trouble, several months waiting and I cancelled the whole thing. I spent several hundred euro and got nothing from it.

I then went with wireless - I've tried two different providers (Imagine WiMax was the latest) and neither have sufficient coverage where I am (specific location of my flat in relation to surroundings - not general area) - and I've looked into UPC and they say they won't be in this area for another year.

Do I have to go crawling back to Eircom or is there any other options available left at all that I could try? I really don't want to give Eircom more money. I'd have to get them to repair the phone line too and that'd probably take months waiting again.

Frustrated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iBleed

Sorry should have been more clear. I do understand that I can chose different providers after I have a phone line sorted out. But I don't want to have to break the eircom contract again, and wait for months for them to repair the line again either. I'd rather go without a phone line at all. But I'm guessing I'm rather stuck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So

1) you have a physical phoneline
    2) you do not have a contract with Eircom anymore

It would help if you told us the general area you live in. Have you looked at Magnet? They do use the phoneline though, so if there is a problem with the actual line, you may be stuck.

Your only other options really would be a mobile broadband (midband) product - but you've stated coverage isn't good where you live.

You may be out of options I'm afraid. Best option would be to see if the line is fixed, and go with Eircom or Magnet (if available in your area).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

iBleed wrote: »
    Sorry should have been more clear. I do understand that I can chose different providers after I have a phone line sorted out. But I don't want to have to break the eircom contract again, and wait for months for them to repair the line again either. I'd rather go without a phone line at all. But I'm guessing I'm rather stuck?

You don't have to sign up with Eircom first, other DSL providers have a process now to arrange activation when you sign up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Stay away from UPC

Advertisement