Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite time the world ended?

• 28-06-2010 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a favourite end of the world prophesy that like totally happened. everytime the weather gets a bit cloudy there seems to be someone saying that some religion predicted that it would and therefore were all screwed.

My favourite is the great disapointment when the Millerites (now seventh day adventists and others) were really bummed out that Jesus didn't return when he said he would. Especially because this was the third time he told Miller that he would meet up with him and then stood him up. But Miller, despite being stood up by Jesus twice before managed to convince his increasing number of followers that the next time he would totally be there.

But then Jesus said to some of millers followers that he thought they were supposed to meet in heaven and he went ahead and had the party without him. Aparantely the second coming was actually more of a continued staying, oh well, swings and roundabouts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Anyone got a favourite end of the world prophesy that like totally happened. everytime the weather gets a bit cloudy there seems to be someone saying that some religion predicted that it would and therefore were all screwed.

My favourite is the great disapointment when the Millerites (now seventh day adventists and others) were really bummed out that Jesus didn't return when he said he would. Especially because this was the third time he told Miller that he would meet up with him and then stood him up. But Miller, despite being stood up by Jesus twice before managed to convince his increasing number of followers that the next time he would totally be there.

But then Jesus said to some of millers followers that he thought they were supposed to meet in heaven and he went ahead and had the party without him. Aparantely the second coming was actually more of a continued staying, oh well, swings and roundabouts.

Check out the Conspiracy Theory forum for doomsday stuff.
    Practically every major event in the world is the start of the apocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

King Mob wrote: »
    Check out the Conspiracy Theory forum for doomsday stuff.
    Practically every major event in the world is the start of the apocalypse.

I would but we don't have computers after that y2k thing

I would but we don't have computers after that y2k thing
    Why would the world end in the year 2000? That's just silly it's only an arbitrary number based on an arbitrary calender.

Everyone knows the world will end when the Mayan calender hits 13.0.0.0.0.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

oh sh*t. I just realised my calender runs out at the end of this year:eek:

anyone want to buy a stereo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

anyone want to buy a stereo?
    No thanks. I'm just going to loot one when the end is nigh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Good to see some folks turning the end of the world into a business opportunity:

http://postrapturepost.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This people clearly have never realized the golden rule of religion, never make too specific a prediction.

Christianity almost feel into this trap with the whole "generation" thing, but luckily translation issues give them a way to swizzle out of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why would the world end in the year 2000? That's just silly it's only an arbitrary number based on an arbitrary calender.

I've often wondered though, what happened when it hit 12.0.0.0 or 7.0.0.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I don't think I have a favourite at the moment... The only one that comes to mind is the Y2K thing, but that was pretty lame really.

Roll on 2012 though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I bet you everything I've got that the world won't end in 2012 ;)

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I've often wondered though, what happened when it hit 12.0.0.0 or 7.0.0.0?

Party?

Actually it'd be more like when we roll over from 9999 to 10000 AD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Actually it'd be more like when we roll over from 9999 to 10000 AD.
    We'll be doing that at 03:14:07, on Tuesday, 19 January 2038. Binary-wise anyhow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

I hope yizzer all retired by then :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I guess this one since it gave us cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've had my current signature for about a year now. I can't wait for all the nutbags to start equivocating when we reach 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Zillah wrote: »
    I've had my current signature for about a year now. I can't wait for all the nutbags to start equivocating when we reach 2013.
    Personally I preferred your original longer message about 2012. Not so keen on the toned down message.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrPudding wrote: »
    Personally I preferred your original longer message about 2012. Not so keen on the toned down message.

:) Somehow I felt it was a little too confrontational/arrogant sounding. At least for the average boardsie to whom I would be subjecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The JWs.
    The end of the world was 1914. That didn't come so for the next few years it was just around the corner. Then they changed their interpritation. Then it was 1975. Then it was "The end will come before the generation of 1914 has passed". And now it's just "insert bullsh1t here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The world's going to end about now - or, at least, the USA will be destroyed by Lucifer, according to the authors of Operation Deepsleep. All the members of the Illuminati are safely away in the South Pacific watching yesterday's solar eclipse, and so it will be safe to use HAARP to cause an earthquake under the Gulf of Mexico, releasing a humungous cloud of methane and exploding it. This may be happening right now. Um ... :cool:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

My favorite would be Jesus himself, he goes around claiming that people living in his generation would see the end of the end of the world, he gave a whole list of events that would occur which would be witnessed by people there with him when he made the claims, including the stars falling from the sky (quite how a star can "fall" wasn't addressed unfortunately) and the moon will not give its light (even though the moon has no light to give, it just reflects the sun's light).

Despite him completely flopping with these predictions he has about 2 billion followers today who don't care in the slightest, they just either ignore these whoppers of mistakes or else pretend that although he said that the end would come in that generation, he really meant that the end wouldn't come in that generation and if you can't see that then you are just plain thick.

That is the beauty of Christianity that we all should admire, going by their logic they just can't lose in their own heads. Jesus pretty much accurately predicted the complete destruction of the Temple (he forgot about the Western Wall but I'll give him the credit), so Christians use that as "proof" that Jesus was a great prophet with access to events in the future.

However, if the Roman's had not destroyed the Temple after the Jewish war, I can guarantee that Christians today would either argue (a) that he never set a time frame on when it would be destroyed, the destruction is coming in the future some time when he will be proven right, or (b) yes, the Temple itself is still standing, but of course Jesus wasn't being literal, he was really referring to the end of the validity of the Temple sacrificial cult which Christians believed occurred following his death.

That is why, in my opinion, the Bible is a completely useless tool for Christians who want to try and convince me of its accuracy. If something can be made to look correct no matter what the outcome then it is completely pointless to refer to it in a discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nostradamus July 1999 had me terrified as a kid. It should be illegal for doomsday sayers to have their message passed onto children.

As for modern day times, 2012 is going to be a biggie. I so cant wait until the day after, when we're still here and nothing happened. (Im pretty sure the 2012 film makers will make more money in 2012 than they did on the film's release!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

When we were all going to be sucked into a black hole by the LHC.
    I had no idea about this untill some random scanger told me,thought it was nonsense untill I looked it up,went around scaring everyone that day.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

storm2811 wrote: »
    I had no idea about this untill some random scanger told me,thought it was nonsense untill I looked it up,went around scaring everyone that day.:pac:
    I'm fond of that incident for two things it spawned. First, this website:
    http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/
    and second, this quote from Brian Cox (the physicist, not the actor):
    Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

storm2811 wrote: »

That could have happened only it broke down! :p

Technically that could still happen. Their testing hasnt reached the energy levels that are required. It will be another few years yet. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My favorite would be Jesus himself, he goes around claiming that people living in his generation would see the end of the end of the world, he gave a whole list of events that would occur which would be witnessed by people there with him when he made the claims
    jesus had a good lawyer - he claimed that both himself and his followers would lead eternal lives, so can obviously claim that his generation have not passed yet.

mikhail wrote: »
    this quote from Brian Cox (the physicist, not the actor):
    I have said it before, and I will say it again. Brian Cox is a legend.

MrP

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm fond of that incident for two things it spawned. First, this website:
    http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/
    a/QUOTE]Has you noticed he has also set up an RSS feed?

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/rss.xml

Also some comments and info in the source code. very funny. :)

MrP

Advertisement