Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the WC now?

• 28-06-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Now we are around half-way through the tournament, who do people think will win now?

Who will win the WC? 170 votes

Brazil
    0%
    Argentina
    26%
    PHBMemnochVokesbytePalefacepickarooneyT-b0n3Kingp35Mr. PresentableAuversdor83TristrameventrgillerJimiTimeleninbenjaminDuffPeyton ManningThe Volts_carnage 45 votes
    Germany
    20%
    CivilServantHelixFighting IrishJazzyBeekaybreadmonkeydeisedevil[Deleted User]Toniomirwillbebackxtal191BlazergebbelHarpyFreeOSCARKev_ps3NehaxakJamBurGone DrinkingDazMarz 35 votes
    Chile
    25%
    Neil3030Dont be at yourselfDoodeeSuprSikeano_afcUnearthly445279.iebad2daboneJagerathorbarryGLaDOSfullstopSavmanronan.hPro. FOPENROADnacho libreironictoasterbuilttospillmurpho999 43 votes
    Ghana
    0%
    allthedoyles 1 vote
    Holland
    1%
    Eire-DeargKiwi_knock 2 votes
    Japan
    9%
    DeVoregandalfDrag00n79inforfunlordgoattolosencM5SK1979LeeroyJonesBlarney92mcwhirterKrusadergingelionbonermlandsleavingFowler87 16 votes
    Slovakia
    0%
    Diabhal Beag 1 vote
    Paraguay
    0%
    Reganio 2 1 vote
    Spain
    0%
    Mountjoy Mugger 1 vote
    Portugal
    14%
    [Deleted User]DcullyapplehunterMr.Nice GuyCorkManbullpostRoyale with CheesegosplaneZe^Dr Galenadrian522Princess Consuela BananahammockShanotheslayercm2000Kess73df1985Hank ScorpioDeeper Bluejamsieboy86Minstrel27 24 votes
    Uruguay
    0%
    BazBox 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chile
    I fancy Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Warper wrote: »
    Now we are around half-way through the tournament, who do people think will win now?

Can we wait until the matches are over today?

I think a Holland Argentina final would be great, can that happen?

Chile
    Des wrote: »

AFAIK it can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Argentina
    Des wrote: »

Yes it can happen, Holland and Brazil are the 2 big teams in the first half of the draw whereas Spain, Argentina, Germany are all on the other side.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Japan
    I'd love the dutch to do it. I don't want Brazil to win it. If Germany keeps playing like they have i'd like them to go far as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Chile
    I fancy the germans at the moment - the confidence boost from tearing england apart will help. Spain havent been firing on all cylinders, Argentina always have a chance with their strikers but haven't been retaining the ball in midfield too well, Holland have a chance of course and Brazil probably have the best chance but I like ze Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Argentina
    Brazil are the only team with a world class defence in the tournament, they are still the most likely to win imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Portugal
    Brazil are the only team with a world class defence in the tournament, they are still the most likely to win imo.

So true, but I could see Argies strike force breaking them down if they play each other.

Ima go for the Argies, but I'm still hoping Spain.

Argentina
    So true, but I could see Argies strike force breaking them down if they play each other.

Ima go for the Argies, but I'm still hoping Spain.

They could, but it will take a huge slice of luck for Brazil not to hammer Dimichelis and co. on the counter. For all Argentina's dominance last night, Mexico still had a pretty easy time of it getting the ball into their box. If Mexico had a striker who could actually hold up the ball it'd have been an entirely different game i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think they all could win barring Slovakia and Paraguay maybe. Brazil haven't been overly impressive but know how to win, Germany the same. Argies look poxy at the back. The Japs are super fit. Ghana have to whole continent behind them. Exciting few games ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Chile
    I'd reckon germany or argentina.

Ghana as sly outsiders maybe, due to the immense support they generate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Argentina
    IMO, Brazil are the most complete side in the tournament. Solid at the back, fluent going forward, and in Kaka, Fabiano and Robinho they have a potent attack. I also think every great team have a great fullback, and in Maicon, they have arguable the best one in the world. Can't see them loosing.

Germany have been impressive, but Brazil would be too much for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I'm going to go with an outside chance of Uruguay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Japan

But have they been tested really sofar?
    North Korea you couldnt expect much from but they scored.
    Ivory Coast with Drogba, half fit, scored.
    And Portugal didnt really have to after their 7-0.

I really dont think they are as secure in the back as everybody thinks.

But then again, i am biased as hell and want my country to finally win this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Hope it's Germany. Think it's more likely to be Brazil.

Argentina
    It wont be a European team anyways. Brazil look the best side and have the easier path to the final so they are worthy favourites. Their name itself is nearly worth a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Germany
    Have a tenner on both Argentina and Germany so whoever comes through that. Leaning more towards Argentina, partly to see the footballing world implode when Maradonna leads a team to winning the World Cup. But mainly because thye have been playing great football

I think that Brazil are getting a lot of attention because they are Brazil and they have yet to overly impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Japan
    For me Netherlands look like the only team who haven't been stretched at any point during any of their 3 games. They're amazingly solid and let the ball do the work (only ever making runs when their on the edge of the opposition box). They move backwards and forwards as a unit and in 3 games they've only conceded one goal (a penalty). I think at the very least it will take a very good team to break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Chile
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    I'd reckon germany or argentina.

Ghana as sly outsiders maybe, due to the immense support they generate.

There is no chance of Ghana winning it'm afraid. They are too wasteful in front of goal. A better side than the USA will punish them for that.

Argentina look suspect at the back. As do Spain.

Brazil and Germany have been the most impressive so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Impossible to predict a winner although Brazil or Holland will almost certainly make the final considering they have the kinder side of the draw. Nobody has really stood out as yet and I do not think anyone really will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Argentina
    i see Spain are slipping down the pecking order.

i still think they're going to take a hell of a lot of beating.

it's Brazil for me though still. they're solid enough, and have enough game changing players to give Spain a real run for their money.

Argentina and Germany are far too suspect at the back to win it IMO.

Spain, though it's not their strongest area, aren't as bad there as you'd like to think, and they keep enough of the ball that there's not a lot of pressure on the backline too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Argentina
    Before the start I predicted Germany. I am less sure now, I think Argentina will beat them.

Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Chile
    Still don't 'fancy' us, but since yesterday I wouldn't put it past them.

Yesterday showed they may have an opening match like performance in them even against better teams, showed they may even have another gear yet.

mueller3_5x4_Diashow.jpg

Argentina
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Still don't 'fancy' us, but since yesterday I wouldn't put it past them.

Yesterday showed they may have an opening match like performance in them even against better teams, showed they may even have another gear yet.

They conceded two goals yesterday against a poor side. I think they may not be defensively mature enough to win the Cup.

Chile
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    They conceded two goals yesterday against a poor side. I think they may not be defensively mature enough to win the Cup.

Agreed, thats why I said I still don't really fancy them. Said that from the start. Any talent we're bringing to this tournament was always going to be on the attacking side of things.
    But we're actually only a whisker away from a great back line too as Lahm and Friedrich are playing a great tournament. Boateng no too shabby either. It's Mertesacker and Neuer who look potentially vulnerable.
    Anyway, we just need to score more than we concede. And don't be surprised if they can step it up a gear still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd like to Germany to win it but Uruguay could be a good outside bet.

Chile
    SlickRic wrote: »
    i see Spain are slipping down the pecking order.

i still think they're going to take a hell of a lot of beating.

it's Brazil for me though still. they're solid enough, and have enough game changing players to give Spain a real run for their money.

Argentina and Germany are far too suspect at the back to win it IMO.

Spain, though it's not their strongest area, aren't as bad there as you'd like to think, and they keep enough of the ball that there's not a lot of pressure on the backline too often.

Spain do keep the ball well. However against the best sides i think their defense will be under severe pressure.
    Brazil, if they meet Spain, should give them a roasting. . Argentina maybe very strong going forward but their defense, which has showed signs of vulnerability against lesser teams, will be exposed against better teams.
    The Dutch are solid but not quite good enough to win it.

Although i chose Germany in the poll, Brazil will probably win it as Germany's suspect defense will be their undoing eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Argentina
    Interesting to see the lack of faith many now have in Spain. I definitely am not ruling them out, Villa has been sensational and they will control most games they play. They have had clear issues in the team and they have a lob-sided, disjointed formation but they have not become a bad team overnight.

Chile
    Interesting to see the lack of faith many now have in Spain. I definitely am not ruling them out, Villa has been sensational and they will control most games they play. They have had clear issues in the team and they have a lob-sided, disjointed formation but they have not become a bad team overnight.

Neither would I. They have won the European championships and so the tag of flopping is gone now.

They should have beaten Switzerland and have still topped the group.

I still think they have chance myself.

Fancy Germany from just how they are playing at the moment but 5-7 teams can still win it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Spain do keep the ball well. However against the best sides i think their defense will be under severe pressure.
    Brazil, if they meet Spain, should give them a roasting. . Argentina maybe very strong going forward but their defense, which has showed signs of vulnerability against lesser teams, will be exposed against better teams.

I really cant see Brazil doing that.

Brazil havent been great in the world cup - Portugal gave them plenty of problems and stopped them playing their game.

I would like to see what Chile do but not holding much hope considering two of their three CBs are suspended.

Spain's problem is the two defensive midfielders which takes away from the attack and involves Xavi less in the game.

They should drop Alonso - bring back Silva and get back to what they are good at.

I think that Dutch attack could pose a serious problem for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JamBur

Germany
    Its hard to call, I have a sneaking suspicion that Germany and Argentina have peaked too early (although I voted for Arg). I see the cup going to South America this year....its between Brazil & arg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Chile
    Germany - Argentina QF is going to be huge, ditto the likely Brazil - Netherlands one.

I put my money on Germany before a ball was kicked, and I'm quietly confident. Brazil are very much the team to beat though, so I'd hope the Netherlands could knock them out before the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

England are still going to win it even though they've been knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Japan
    my money was on a holland spain final since a month ago so i'm sticking with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Germany
    Argentina for me. Don't think Brazil have been tested really yet - Portugal are average and almost beat them. Germany have a a dodgie center backs and the keeper looks poor under a cross. Holland could be a dark horse i think there is more to come from them. But i'm sticking with Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Argentina
    Brazil or Germany, hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Chile
    I want it to be Germany, easy on the eye with alot of heart and passion. All want to have the ball, don't play too defensively and were not the favourites before the tournament\

They are a very likeable team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Germany
    I went with argentina before the WC and im still going go with the Argies.

They are alot better at the WC then they were throughout the qualifiers, if they dont do it Id hope for Holland to take it.

Argentina
    inforfun wrote: »
    But have they been tested really sofar?
    North Korea you couldnt expect much from but they scored.
    Ivory Coast with Drogba, half fit, scored.
    And Portugal didnt really have to after their 7-0.

I really dont think they are as secure in the back as everybody thinks.

I just think as a unit they are by far and away the best. Gilberto is the real reason for this, he doesn't have the legs anymore but no in the modern game is better at reading the game than him imo. He just knows when to press, when to hold, and most importantly when to fill the space when the FBs or CBs attack the ball. When they are under pressure he'll drop into the back line and play as a libero. The result is that the defensive core they have of Melo, Gilberto, Lucio and Juan are exceptionally good at denying the opposition space in the final third.

The NK result was a bit misleading imo. The exceptionally deep NK line forced the Brazil team to play much higher up the pitch than their defenders are really comfortable with, the result is that they were very stretched on the odd occasions when NK broke. Brazil's normal game is a counter attacking one, breaking at pace, and against the likes of Spain, Argentina, Holland, Germany they could do some real damage.

I know they aren't invincible mind, teams that spread play quickly can get at the space behind the fullbacks, and exploit the lack of pace in the midfield. But very few teams left in the competition really do this effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Germany
    While I find it almost impossible to see past the Brazillians at this stage, I just love the way Argentina have been playing their football. Their players look so up for it, they are getting the right rub of the green... the dominoes appear to be falling right for them. I'd love to see it for Maradona... Would be the best laugh ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Chile
    I said Germany months ago, said Germany a month ago, and I see no reason why I would change. They can beat anyone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Argentina
    I think its between the 3 favourites Brazil, Argentina and Spain.

I am going for Brazil because from front to back I don't see any weakness in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Portugal
    I don't think Brazil are necessarily the best team left. I would still rate Spain above them and chose them in the poll as I reckon they'll get their shït together. Brazil haven't been tested yet and most likely won't be tonight either.

Would like to see Argentina or Germany do it. While I wouldn't make them favourites it's definitely possible. Even Holland could win it with a bit of luck. Very open tournament right now.

Chile
    There is no outstanding favourite at the moment. The Spain and Portugal match will be fascinating. Spain will try to score against Portugal who have one of the best defences in the competition and will look counter-attack with pace. Before the tournament Spain were my favourite to win it. but they have been wasteful and have shown that they lack width. Torres is out of form which is a big blow to them and their defence is weak.

Germany have been a great team to watch, they all want to have the ball and they are great at making runs behind defenders and can control the midfield. Their defence has been exposed though especially with their central-defenders. They looked to be weak on the left but Boateng had a great game against England. I would love to see them win it and they are who I voted for.

Brazil are always favourites but I don't find this team enjoyable to watch. They have a good defence but haven't scored as many goals as one would have expected but if any team is going produce magic its Brazil.

Argentina seem to be the on-form team but the way they play could lead to the midfield being controlled by Germany. Messi has been excellent as well as Tevez but their defence seems didgy. They haven't played a team who can counter-attack with pace and I feel that the Germans will be able to do this against them.

Holland haven't been that impressive, they have done enough in every match to win but I feel their is another gear they can go into. They have an impressive team, fairly solid defence and people who can score goals. If they beat Brazil/ Chile they have a great chance of reaching the final.

Overall I would love to see Germany win it but its the World Cup where anything can happen! But a Brazil Argentina final could be a cracker!

Chile
    redout wrote: »
    I really cant see Brazil doing that.

Brazil havent been great in the world cup - Portugal gave them plenty of problems and stopped them playing their game.

I would like to see what Chile do but not holding much hope considering two of their three CBs are suspended.

Spain's problem is the two defensive midfielders which takes away from the attack and involves Xavi less in the game.

They should drop Alonso - bring back Silva and get back to what they are good at.

I think that Dutch attack could pose a serious problem for Brazil.

i think you are reading too much into the Portugal game. Brazil rested players and were going through the motions as they were through to the second round. If it has been a knockout game then Brazil would have upped their performance.
    Brazil have looked the best team so far. Spain are brilliant going forward but their defense seems suspect. They may provide a stern test for the Brazilian defense but i see Brazil ultimately prevailing thanks to Spain's dodgy defense.

Argentina
    The more this WC is progressing the better this Brazil team will get. They look very economical with their scoring chances, in fact they look lethal in front of goal. Kaka is starting to regain his form which is brilliant news and Robinho/Fabiano look very sharp. They have the best defense in the comp, have the easier route to the final and they are Brazil. What can I say, they are going to be crowned World Champions next week and I think they will win it with something in hand.

Chile
    So far 30% of people have been proved wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Portugal
    cant understand why Brazil were so highly regarded TBH, they automatically have the label of being favorites every world cup, someone needs to cut that label off!

Fabiano plays for Sevilla, who only sometimes make the top 4 in Spain, NEVER a 25-30 league goals season striker. Robinho played good wasn't up to the level when put to the test, Kaka for Real Madrid etc. IMO they would have needed an on form Ronaldinho (which meant Kaka being on the bench) and, hypothetically speaking, a goal scoring Ronaldo to win the WC. Though Ronaldo is still scoring for Corinthians, but he wasn't included. He would have 3 goals IMO before the netherlands match if he was included. If you talk injury, him and Robben are in the same category and Robben played the whole 90 minutes today despite being stomped on etc.

IMO Spain will win it, they have sorta the same passing blueprint as Brazil, but are better at it and have more possession. Villa is on form and Torres has had 5 days off. I think they can put away anybody who comes at them in the world cup.

Chile
    Not sure why you point out all the forwards because they pretty much did what was expected of them. They were good.
    It was the highly praised defense that came apart for no apparent reason.

Argentina
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Before the start I predicted Germany. I am less sure now, I think Argentina will beat them.

Brazil.

And I am back to Germany................:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement