Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very bad news about bichon

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I posted not so long ago here about my girlfriend's bichon possibly having cushings disease. The bichon went for tests and it came back as negative for cushings disease.

The sad part is the vet has discovered that she was losing a large amount of protein in her urine and has diagnosed her as having kidney failure.

She went for a scan and biopsy last week, haven't got the results back of the biopsy, but the vet said that the scan shows advanced kidney failure and it's not curable.

I don't know how long she'll have left before we have to make the decision to eventually put her down.

Has anyone else had a dog who has been diagnosed with kidney failure and did they have long left to live?

Any advice is really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm really sorry to hear about you dog!! :( Our cat died of kidney failure - it'll be a year next week :(. When they spotted with our guy it was too advanced - he was admitted on a thursday for IVs but got worse so they let him home with us for the weekend and we made the decision not to let it go on. What made the decision for me (i have tears in my eyes typing this!) was that he wasn't my little buddy anymore - he was absolutely miserable and completely withdrawn. Normally he'd spend all his time with me - snoozing on the bed/couch in the same room as me but he just wanted to be by himself and when we went to him there was nothing back from him - he was a house cat and was always very affectionate but he just wanted to be by himself. He couldn't keep anything down so he was very weak too.

Kidney diease isn't curable BUT it is treatable to an extent - if it's caught in time there's special diets they can put her on to prolong her life.

I hope she'll be ok.

Also just to add - thanks to everyone on boards who supported me last year when our guy got sick - it really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about ur cat. I can't imagine how tough its gonna be putting my dog down.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So sorry to hear about your doggy....:(

But - it might not be the end of the world. My cat has kidney problems - his problems are age-related though.

The point I wanted to make was that he's on 2.5mg Fortekor daily which is for both dogs and cats. It's made a real difference to him.

Has your vet suggested something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The vet suggested that she go on a very low protein diet.

What is happening is that she is losing protein in her urine and the kidney is not operating properly.

The blood samples show a low protein count.

Advertisement