Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Just Me Or Do You Also.........

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do you also........... A.\ When being driven along country roads always instinctively look into the fields on either side to check if theres any bunnys out in the open?

B.\ If you do see a bunny when looking...say "That'd be a lovely shot from here" in your own mind as others may find it offensive?

C.\ When out in the field and sneaking up on a potential bunny hotspot inevitably walk on the only crackable twig within a 200m radius and frighten the little long eared feckers before you can get close enough ?

D.\ Just after seeing a bunny in the distance, getting the rifle settled on the ground on its bipod, finding the bunny in the scope, adjust magnification, adjust the paralax, take the safety off, take a deep breath and hold it, put your finger gently onto the trigger and just as you're about to pull......the mobile in your pocket that you should have put on silent rings out and its the missus telling you that the dinner will be ready in about an hour will i be back by then ? and finally...

E.\ Have friendly local cows in every field that you want to shoot in, that no matter how far away from them you are, sneaking along the ditch so as they wont spot you and gallop towards you...will indeed spot you and gallop towards you kicking and bucking like maniacs and succeeding in frightening every bunny in the field and probably the ones next to it aswell ?

So then...is it just me or do these things happen to you lads aswell ? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

The landrover is great as you see a bit more , im cycling 200km + a week and see a lot more ,great way to see the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you also........... A.\ When being driven along country roads always instinctively look into the fields on either side to check if theres any bunnys out in the open?

B.\ If you do see a bunny when looking...say "That'd be a lovely shot from here" in your own mind as others may find it offensive?

C.\ When out in the field and sneaking up on a potential bunny hotspot inevitably walk on the only crackable twig within a 200m radius and frighten the little long eared feckers before you can get close enough ?

D.\ Just after seeing a bunny in the distance, getting the rifle settled on the ground on its bipod, finding the bunny in the scope, adjust magnification, adjust the paralax, take the safety off, take a deep breath and hold it, put your finger gently onto the trigger and just as you're about to pull......the mobile in your pocket that you should have put on silent rings out and its the missus telling you that the dinner will be ready in about an hour will i be back by then ? and finally...

E.\ Have friendly local cows in every field that you want to shoot in, that no matter how far away from them you are, sneaking along the ditch so as they wont spot you and gallop towards you...will indeed spot you and gallop towards you kicking and bucking like maniacs and succeeding in frightening every bunny in the field and probably the ones next to it aswell ?

Put the phone on silent, walk with your heels touching the ground first and you will have to walk slower and then you will get used to the feeling of twigs without cracking them.

I always have one eye on the ditch :D
    The 4x4 is great for height viability over a ditch. I can not understand how people i know have never seen half the animals i have as they never look in the field

You should lean how to do the tiger or leopard crawl, very good at getting you into position (unloaded chamber safety on of course )

Ii find I get more excited on deer than bunnies, at this stage i have shot thousands of bunnies but shoot or helped in the shooting or around 50 deer.

I find bunnies great practice, as you can employ all the skills require in a stalk.
    Foxes even better practice as you have to be super sneaky.

Often the hardest thing to do is not go in like a bull in a china shop, Bunnies have great eyesight almost 360 but there distance and range estimation is poor. there hearing is great so slow movements and quiet movements normally get results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

When having to crawl in order to get into a good position to take a shot, how do ye hold yer rifles??

I find that it won't stay secure on your back and having it in your hands is awkward as your using your hands when crawling!:confused:

patsat wrote: »
    When having to crawl in order to get into a good position to take a shot, how do ye hold yer rifles??

I find that it won't stay secure on your back and having it in your hands is awkward as your using your hands when crawling!:confused:

I employ a tactic I learned from the DF, called leopard or Tiger crawl.
    (Unloaded firearm, Bolt back if you wish to be extra safe, or even removed!)
    laid across inside of elbows and use elbows/shoulders and knees to crawl, I often crawled 400 yards or more not to give away a position.

it's a handy way to get to the crest of a hill without giving your position away to the Quarry.
    Although it will test your fitness, nothing to a Hurler like you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

C.\ When out in the field and sneaking up on a potential bunny hotspot inevitably walk on the only crackable t:wig within a 200m radius and frighten the little long eared feckers before you can get close enough ?

you are not alone..
    i am constantly scanning the fields as i'm driving. and if i spot something interesting i make a note to my self to call to the farmer to get permission if i dont already have it.
    i do it without thinking. its amazing how much wildlife is out there that most people dont see as they are driving past.
    as for the phone going off. its like she is watching me via satellite to call me as i'm closing in on my chosen target. :D

• Advertisement

I employ a tactic I learned from the DF, called leopard or Tiger crawl.
    (Unloaded firearm, Bolt back if you wish to be extra safe, or even removed!)
    laid across inside of elbows and use elbows/shoulders and knees to crawl, I often crawled 400 yards or more not to give away a position.

it's a handy way to get to the crest of a hill without giving your position away to the Quarry.
    Although it will test your fitness, nothing to a Hurler like you ;)

Like duck off a waters back for me!:D

I use that way myself however tis a pain in the arse when the grass is high as the rifle gets caught in it the whole time!

Like duck off a waters back for me!:D

I use that way myself however tis a pain in the arse when the grass is high as the rifle gets caught in it the whole time!

Then get a shorter barrel, I did lol

What Stalking Bi-pod do you use, I found the 3 stage one the best as it is shorter folded than the 2 stage.

One of those 3 point slings might do you either.

Then get a shorter barrel, I did lol

What Stalking Bi-pod do you use, I found the 3 stage one the best as it is shorter folded than the 2 stage.

One of those 3 point slings might do you either.

Jez I only bought the rifle bit too early to change!Next year is a different story!:D

Bi-pod i use on it is a 13-24 one, very handy in the land I shoot deer on as when out at 24 inches you can sit down and shoot. Perfect height for seeing over rushes!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, I'm too busy watching for the suicidal ones that run out across the road a few yards in front of me. Especially around Dublin Airport's long term car park at night, it's like they're trying to welcome you home from abroad with the ingredients for rabbit stew...

Jez I only bought the rifle bit too early to change!Next year is a different story!:D

Bi-pod i use on it is a 13-24 one, very handy in the land I shoot deer on as when out at 24 inches you can sit down and shoot. Perfect height for seeing over rushes!;)

Does the legs extend once or twice? I used to have ones that extended only once but it was too high for some shots.
    Mine extends two times, Currently dusty is using it, as I also have a 9-13" one

Back on Topic though before we get Modded!!

I love driving down country roads to see wildlife, I recently got a camera so I will be taking and posting more pics ;)

• Advertisement

can be extended fully and to any length in between!Very handy!

Ya same myself always keeping an eye out especially travelling through places I've never been before!

tri pods in aldi for E15 , 5 foot very well made . bought one for my cam corder .

dwight should get one for his:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

yeah girlfriend hates it as i drive slow to have a gawk through the gates of fields to see if the bunnys about.The cows where i shoot are a pain!follow you everywhere if they cop you!

bazza888 wrote: »
    yeah girlfriend hates it as i drive slow to have a gawk through the gates of fields to see if the bunnys about.The cows where i shoot are a pain!follow you everywhere if they cop you!

I find the Jolly pidgeon gives location away with his flapping about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Im the same, always looking over ditches in the jeep. She has seen her first fox from it and plenty of other animals so she dosnt mind. I usually leave the phone in jeep. Not because i afraid it would ring but because its left in the jeep 90% of the time including night time. Hate my phone

was out for a cycle yes eve , spotted lots of crows on the corner of a barley field .

must oil up the auto and magnet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

ny times i nearly crashed looking into those fields craning the neck to see a pheasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

My wife used to hate my fast driving before I took up shooting, now she hates my cruising all the time and looking in every field for whatever is there!!! you can't win!!!and yes she always rings at the wrong time!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i like this thread..

i recorded some duck calls crow calls etc onto my phone, and usually (if i remember doh!!) to change mssg alert and ringing tne to one or the other (depending on locatio/time of year etc).. the tiger crawl.. or whatever its called works for me... through cow ****e and nettles.. as long as its in a straight line.. i also wear one of them face veils with the two strings to tie behind your head.. lookin like a mujahadeen lol.. it deffo pays back if they cant see your big white red puffy sweaty face!!!
    and try to have long sleeves as well.. arms.. there as human lookin to bugs as the sweaty face and theyll cop them just as your extending the bipod.. doh!

Advertisement