Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgrange

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and a friend are thinking of taking a spin to Newgrange some evening after work this week.

We probably won't get there till about 7ish. Is it possible to get close to the site at that time or do you have to go when the visitors centre is open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

As far as you'll get is outside the very large fence in front of it, I'm afraid and the centre closes @ 7.00pm.

If you travel a tad further to Dowth, I think you can get onto that site still. It's a sadly neglected passage tomb with the quartz facade just scattered on the ground but you can still see some carvings on the larger kerb stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

You are better off going when the visitors centre is open, they bring you to the tomb on a bus.
    I actually have no idea how you actually get to the site itself in a private car, I think the bus drivers go a bit of a circuitous route to stop people from going themselves!

Its only a few quid in and well worth seeing with the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

If you go out the Drogheda road from Slane and take a right at Smiths shop (little blue tin shop) follow that road as far as I remember. But I do agree that the trip with the Bru Na Boinne bus is much better. Try to get the combined tour that takes in Knowth too - well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Don't bother wasting your time , going after 7 is like going to the pyramids and not leaving the bus. If you want to see something in Meath after hours I suggest a walk by the Ramparts in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

It's impossible to get into the grounds unless you go through the Bru na Boinne Visitor Centre and book a tour. Definatley worth going on the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hi,
    sorry to bring alive a ...5000 years old topic !! :)

been yesterday to Newgrange with the kids,i thought a good lesson of history won't do any harm !
    But...i have been shocked by how well organised,tidy and common sense is...my wife says that she really love it,while my kids (teenagers) weren't fussy at all (they are fussy when bored or not liking the scenery).

The visitor centre is big,with massive information (we arrived late so we ran to catch the bus,no time to play inside).The weather was great and the bus 'station' well organised,took us to both sites,in no time.Our guide explained in plain english all about it:more than 5000 years of history !!

Both buses were full,so i pressume the number of visitors was ok,even if when we left,was a leaflet saying that no more visitors allowed on site !!

You can't reach it by car,only via the Centre and the shuttle bus.A lot of info on web iste makes sense.Don't follow the GPS instructions ,but rather take the right turn off N2 at the sign.

Overall,impressed...and highly recommended ! Good work OPW !

Advertisement