Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a dressing dry

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

:eek::eek::eek: GAH - it's raining and our pup got a new dressing put on his cut paw this morning!! How can I keep it dry!? He's a retriever and likes nothing better than being soaking wet - he cut it splashing around in the river! :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Poor dog, if you're just going for a walk(no splashing in the river) how about cutting a bit of plastic bag(good strong black bag) and wrapping it up well, then taping around the top of the dressing, so you don't stick to his hair.
    (My dad did similar with a broken leg so he could shower;))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks - i'll try plastic or cling film! He's not allowed go on walks with it so its more him going out to the loo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Plastic bag and a hair bobbin...sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

How far up is the cut? If its just on the paw how about a dog boot? http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?product=25 A bit pricey but I have seen cheaper ones for sale in petshops sold singly. Plastic bag is a good idea, I had to use one years ago when I couldn't get water on my foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

You cant go wrong with a plastic bag and a bit of tape imo, they use those at our local vets, I wouldnt however leave the bag on if you are not around, retriever puppy = chew, ha ha, or if you are just looking to keep it clean, an old sock should do the trick.

• Advertisement

thanks guys - i think he'll be ok with a bag slipped on when he's outside and taken off once he's back in. My poor baby! 117994.jpg

Zapperzy wrote: »
    How far up is the cut? If its just on the paw how about a dog boot? http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?product=25 A bit pricey but I have seen cheaper ones for sale in petshops sold singly. Plastic bag is a good idea, I had to use one years ago when I couldn't get water on my foot.

What petshops have you seen them in? He's still in the wars with this and had to get stitches this morning! :(

Wait!! It's ok they have the boot type one in petmania!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Hey OP, my sympathies... keeping a foot dressing dry can be a nightmare!
    However, a really good and free tip is to ask your local vets for some empty 1 litre drip bags. Cut the top off, dry the inside, then thread a length of stretchy bandage material through some holes you can cut at the top to secure around the leg.
    It's the perfect size for a bandaged paw, and is made of really durable plastic.
    be sure though just to put it on the paw for walking or whenever the dog is out in the garden, and remove it when inside the house to prevent moisture building inside the dressing, resulting in a wet, smelly wound.
    As sock is perfect to put over the dressing in the house as it allows air to get through.

Thanks Ruby!! We actually got a drip bag in the vets this morning but I got him a little boot for going for walks - it's a better fit and less noise - the drip bag was scraping along the ground. It's SILVER thou like a clowns shoe lol!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

same thing happen to my dog ie she cut one of her pads, the vet said not to bandage it , that it will heal quicker if it is left open,clean it with salt water, and it is ok to walk her on grass or soft ground. Is this right ?

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    same thing happen to my dog ie she cut one of her pads, the vet said not to bandage it , that it will heal quicker if it is left open,clean it with salt water, and it is ok to walk her on grass or soft ground. Is this right ?

I'd assume it depends on the cut? Our guy didn't cut his pad - he cut just beside it. The flap lifted thou so he had to get it stitched. He's in great form which is the most important thing I suspose and he's a lot calmer and less defensive going into the vets so there's a silver lining! He's allowed short walks so he's delighted with himself because he's getting lots of sympathy pets in the park when people see the boot. Also a paper bag blew right beside and he barked at it a few times bum in air then shredded it and everyone laughed! :rolleyes:

Advertisement