Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployable?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I know there are probably people in the same situation as me but it's new to me so please try to help.

I've been applying for jobs constantly since March and have only had two interviews. I didn't get either job. I know that any job advertised gets hundred of applications but I don't know what's wrong with my CV that means I'm not getting called for interviews. That would make me happy at the moment; just to be called for interviews.

I'm in my early 20's and recently graduated. I have 4 years retail experience amongst other types of experience. What's getting to me more than anything is I've applied for jobs that were similar to jobs I'd done before and I know I'm suited for but I don't get called for interview. A few days later I see the job applied again so clearly they haven't found a suitable applicant but I'm still not good enough. In other words it's hurting so much that companies are re-advertising a job that I have the experience before without even considering me.

I cannot tell you how many times I have looked at my CV and cover letter (which were done professionally) to make sure my name, address, phone or email are spelled correctly. This is knocking my confidence so much when I know it shouldn't because everyone is in similar in situations. If I'm not good enough to do a job I've done before what am I good for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A couple of things here. The jobs being re-advertised are those on actual company websites or on recruitment agencies? If it is just recruitment agencies then those jobs more than likely do not exist at all. They are just a means to harvest CV's and to get people in so the Recruitment Agents can get an idea who they have been for interviews with so they can approach those companies.

Also have you gone and talked to the people you worked for before in retail to see if you can get a job there? It is easier to get a job when you have one (do not know why but that has always been the way). Also get everyone to check about jobs for you. Family, Friends contacts in sports clubs etc that is the best way to get ahead of the curve job hunting by getting a recommendation from someone already working in a company.

Also do not send the same CV out for every job, customise it to match the job. Even lift words directly from the job description and put them in your CV and cover letter.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

hi,

I work as a retail store manager and have just spent the past month going through hundreds of CVs and doing loads of interviews.

First pointer your probably best off not using a template from work etc because you wouldn't believe how many CVs you get in that look the exact same and the content starts to blur.

Secondly make sure your cover letter is short and shows flexibility..ie if your prepared to take a part time or full time position?

If I get a CV in with lots of different retail position most of which lasted less then 6 months I would normally have a concern that the person had not passed probation periods or had issues.So if you have had a lot of jobs make limit the number you put on your CV...no body going through a cv wants to read your whole life story either so make sure your being concise.

Hope it helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fgstf

ya know what im 52 unemployable with various drivers licences and cant get NOTHING. But at least, im now looking at my kids growing and I have to say their not lacking in anything in terms of upbringing, their still happy and too look at them you wouldn't think their was a resession!

Advertisement