Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no county teams?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Why dont we have dublin bball teams etc playing all irelands. Obv I mean Mens teams, there are underage teams but why does it just cut off there.

I think it would be a great addition to the marketing of bball in Ireland.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Think it more because not every county could field a decent team, and who would pay for it.. most clubs struggle for money. can you see them paying into a county team as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

basketball ireland should get their head out of their ass imo. Not every county wud have too imo. Also shows how poor the bball infrastructure is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

ya all very true. but then bball ireland is so close to folding itself because they dont have any government backing the last time i checked.. Very hard to put together a sporting structure country wide if they cant even employ ppl to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dermotcw

I too think it would be great to have county teams playing in a comp, but my experience from playing squash is that we keep coming across the problem of teams from Dublin who will not travel down the country to play their games.
    Country teams seem very eager to travel.
    But hey BBall players are diff are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ya decent enough idea but it would be hard enough to get players sorted, i mean you couldnt really expect the top class players in Dublin and Cork for instance playing against the likes of makeshift teams from Kilkenny or Wicklow for instance. So then we would need to be looking a local league teams from each county board to provide the players. So I can see how it would be possible but I cant really see it happening as you would have county boards trying to load the teams when it comes to finals and playoffs. I for one would be in favour of it. Plus im on a regional board and I dont think it would be impossible to finance as all you are really trying to cover is travel costs and a few training sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

nialo wrote: »
    ya all very true. but then bball ireland is so close to folding itself because they dont have any government backing the last time i checked.. Very hard to put together a sporting structure country wide if they cant even employ ppl to do it!

Is that true? Pretty unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I've played basketball all through secondary school and I'm lucky enough to have won 2 bronze all ireland medals and several regional winners medals.. I'd have loved to keep playing after school but I can't basically because the nearest club to my home is 40 minutes away... sorry state of affairs but what can ya do

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Obviously not everyone can, but there's plenty of fellas travelling a hell of a lot more than 40 minutes to get to training.

Even though Dublin has loads of clubs, you can be travelling way more than that to get to training just because of traffic. Add games into the mix and you can be trekking for an hour and a half to get to a game in rush hour traffic or if you're going down the country on the weekends, think about Dublin teams playing in Cork, or Cork teams playing in Mayo etc.

If you want to play plenty of sports in this country, there's travel involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nodzer

nialo wrote: »

Basketball Ireland if they did their jobs properly could have worked on a strategic plan for the whole of Ireland and come up with a backing plan to secure funding... my ass is it just about "Government Backing" the management of it all was never dealt with right. Seriously the "National Basketball Arena / Basketball Ireland" was never utilised to its best abilities....(ok maybe it did in its first couple of years) They never sweat their assets... It also could have worked on initiatives to increase the participation of school kids through more Basketball camps and made it so successful and useful to boom the taken part in Basketball.

This sport does not get the respect it deserves in Ireland!!! Love, devotion, pride and some management skills could have changed the future of basketball Ireland.

basketball ireland is the biggest farce ever!!!!! whoever the chairman is I do wonder what he actually does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Nodzer wrote: »
    Basketball Ireland if they did their jobs properly could have worked on a strategic plan for the whole of Ireland and come up with a backing plan to secure funding... my ass is it just about "Government Backing" the management of it all was never dealt with right. Seriously the "National Basketball Arena / Basketball Ireland" was never utilised to its best abilities....(ok maybe it did in its first couple of years) They never sweat their assets... It also could have worked on initiatives to increase the participation of school kids through more Basketball camps and made it so successful and useful to boom the taken part in Basketball.

Basketball is the biggest participation sport of all in schools in Ireland
    Da GOAT wrote: »
    basketball ireland is the biggest farce ever!!!!! whoever the chairman is I do wonder what he actually does.

There is a new president now and he is making very good moves to try and secure new financial backing for the sport, i actually know him and he is a chairman of one of the best clubs in the country and will be quite sucessfull id imagine

Yes it has one of the most participation of school kids, however, schools in the Tallaght area (I know this is across the board too) wouldn’t have been fully aware of the availability of camps locally by Basketball Ireland.... It's not until you went to play for a club you were made aware of what was available so far as camps! I’m not talking summer camps, I’m talking camps all year round!!!

I stand to be corrected here, but schools in the disadvantaged areas wouldn’t have the same accessibilities as the more privileged areas for development to this end the numbers here are huge and this will ultimately increase more participation.

What i am getting at is that target groups start with kids, they are the grass roots.... fair enough revenue is generated through adults but we need more emphasis on the kids.

A new President for Basketball Ireland!!!! I wish him all the success and hope we can see and help make changes together.... and make Basketball in Ireland shine just like we deserve all over the world....

i fully agree and I was a kid in Tallaght.

Not until I joined Kilnamanagh u15s didnt I start going to bball camps.

I too didnt learn untill i joined kilnamangh basketball as a kid from school.... believe me i knew lots of other girls who would have joined if they had of known more options.... lets hope we can turn small things around to make a bigger picture :-)

doesnt it always feel that ''I'' will have to do it since nobody else is lol

Advertisement