Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money back from deposit

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I stupidly put money on a gun worth 700euro last year and have 500euro paid off it to date. I was wondering would i have the right to pull out of the sale and get my money back as iam head of to oz soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You would not legally be entitled to any money back. That is the whole point of a deposit - to protect against non-purchase.

However, if you ask the retailer politely, and explain your circumstances, I'm fairly certain that you would get your deposit refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

mmh, i though as much. Il have to speak with him and see what happens. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

dudara wrote: »
    You would not legally be entitled to any money back. That is the whole point of a deposit - to protect against non-purchase.

However, if you ask the retailer politely, and explain your circumstances, I'm fairly certain that you would get your deposit refunded.

Thats about right. You have not entitlement to get out of this deal.

Talk nicely to the seller, he may give you a refund but he does not have to.

If it looks like he wont, swallow you pride and see if you can get some of it back. Even €400 back is better than something you do not want or need.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

My first payment was 100euro, so hopefuly thats all i lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you've paid 500, why not pay the last 200 and then sell it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Or, unless he has been holding a specific gun for you all this time, ask about getting a gift voucher to the value of the money he has belonging to you. Then you can sell the voucher. Even selling the voucher at a discount would presumably be less of a loss (and probably easier) than selling the gun on.

Shop keeps the money so he's happy. You get most of yours back so you're happy.

If he has been holding the gun for over six months though, he may well tell you to shag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

A gun, they sell guns in Ireland now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A gun, they sell guns in Ireland now?

????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Of course they sell guns here. Ya dont shoot deer with a pea shooter :).

Afaik, once you pay a deposit youve entered a contract to purchase and can be forced to complete the sale. In practice this rarely happens, but its worth knowing this is the case, as well as the fact that a deposit does not have to be returned unless thats agreed at the outset.

Advertisement