Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for RCSI

• 28-06-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how much they are for pharmacy?

I was on their site in the admissions section but it doesn't give any information and I need to know before I put it down on my CAO.

If anyone knows thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It's under the free fees scheme as well, all you have to pay is registration costs afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

zam wrote: »
    It's under the free fees scheme as well, all you have to pay is registration costs afaik.

This could be her second degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Best bet is to ring RCSI and talk to the fees office and they can give you an idea. Last year for med I remember it was about 2000 altogether, 1500 for student service charge and 500 for IT fees. However I think when I was in first year the IT fees were more as we had just gotten our laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

wayhey wrote: »
    This could be her second degree.

Nope just undergraduate did the LC this summer.

Ring 01 4022338 and ask for Claire Kilbride. She is lovely and should be able to help you on know someone who can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

There is NO undergrad fees for RCSI!!!!!

There is NO undergrad fees for RCSI!!!!!

You need to pay your student services charge and administration fees regardless of what college you end up going to.

From studentfinance.ie
    Student Services Charge
    All students enrolling in full-time undergraduate courses in higher education are charged a Student Services Charge annually by the college. For 2010-11, this charge is €1,500. If you qualify for a maintenance grant at any of the five levels, you also have your student services charge paid each year on your behalf by the grant-awarding body (or refunded to you). So its important to remember that qualifying for a maintenance grant saves you a considerable sum on the Student Services Charge. There is a further category of support in addition to the five outlined above. If your reckonable income is above the threshold for a grant, it may still be within a higher threshold for your student service charge to be paid to the college on your behalf by the grant-awarding body (or refunded to you). Please note that the maintenance grant schemes provide a grant for the Student Services Charge to qualifying students only in relation to courses that are part of the Free Fees Initiative.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7559/check-grant-levels/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

sillymoo wrote: »
    You need to pay your student services charge and administration fees regardless of what college you end up going to.

From studentfinance.ie

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7559/check-grant-levels/index.html

oopps sorry, I ment only reg fees and that sorta thing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

hey guys im FREAKING out right now.. I got offered med in RCSI and accepted the cao offer online. I was away for the past few weeks and just came home to my registration pack etc this weekend which says I have to have sent in my reg forms and paid my deposit by last monday or I lose my place??!!! :eek: I'm going to ring them first thing in the morning and head in with my forms etc but does anyone know how strict they are on this??! Surely they can't have given my place away without any kind of warning or notification other than the initial pack?

Oh god if I've lost my place I will break down!!!!

First off calm down. They are quite reasonable. Ring in the morning and talk to the Admissions department and explain the situation. I'm sure things will work out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

Ha thanks hope so! I may have overreacted just a little bit there.. :o

Nah I'd imagine if I were in your position today I'd be freaking out too but you can't do anything about it tonight. Ring in the morning and see what they say. I'm sure it will work out ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

Victoria. wrote: »
    Anybody know how much they are for pharmacy?

I was on their site in the admissions section but it doesn't give any information and I need to know before I put it down on my CAO.

If anyone knows thanks.

It's ~2100EUR for the registration + miscellaneous fees (laptop, IT fees, gym, etc). It's the same for med and physio. Congrats btw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Yep - €2,110 this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hoodiegirl

Hi there
    Guys I need your help. I'm currently a second year Science student with full grant awarded to me. But I realise that I really want to do medicine. I am really concerned about fees, mainly with the RCSI fees (~15,000) which is really high for mature students.
    Do you think that my fees will be entirely covered by the grant authority or last covered partially???
    I've been studying and working so I have some savings just afraid I may not have enough :(
    I'm mature student by the way.... Any help will be highly appreciated ;D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

hoodiegirl wrote: »
    Do you think that my fees will be entirely covered by the grant authority or last covered partially???:D

The grant won't cover your fees I'm afraid. Assuming you'll be considering the Gamsat route, most students take out graduate medicine loans http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055772034, those crazy fees are just part of the deal it's a huge commitment, but I haven't met anybody who has gone through the GEM route and regretted it in the slightest.

If you're gonna drop out of Science and apply for undergrad medicine, you won't get the grant for the first two years (I think), but you will after that. And that should cover your fees. With the exception of the €2,500 and the student levy. But you'll have to pay fees the first two years, so either way it'll be expensive. (<-- Good chance some of this information is wrong, sorry I can't be more helpful :o).

Thanks that's really helpful info... I am feekingout about money I wish I could get a place in trinity or UCD because fees are cheaper but looking at the number of vacancies RCSI has 15 for mature students :):) but fees are highly expensive :eek::eek:

Ahh okay. Do you know if that's 15 places for mature students through the undergraduate program or something?

:rolleyes:Yeap it says so in their website so more chances than UCD (only 3 this year or so) and TCD same thing :rolleyes:

Ahh I understand a bit better now thanks. I always get mixed up when people talk about being a mature student in the undergrad program and graduate entry.

Best of luck with it anyway and of course get in touch with the RCSI fees office + the grant office if you think you've made a decision in order to get the correct information for sure before you go filling anything out :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement