Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Long and Winding Road

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to enter the Achill Roar and as it's about eleven weeks away I guess it's time to start training in earnest. I've been doing a bit of running over the last few weeks (7K in about 40 mins four times) and went out for my first bike ride over the weekend (17K in about 50 mins), so I'm hoping this log will help me bring a bit of structure to my training and also help me track my progress. At the moment the goal is to complete the Sprint distance in under 2hr30, but this may change over the next few weeks depending on my times in training.

Tonight I'm planning to go out for a run, and may try to increase the distance from 7k to about 9k depending on how my legs feel after basketball last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

9k in 50:35 - felt good starting out but two thirds of the way through it was a massive struggle. Ended up having to slow down to a walk for about 30 secs, but managed to get going again. Wasn't helped by the heat and humidity this evening, sweated a bucket-load. I also failed to take into account that as well as adding a couple of ks to my distance the new route included a pretty long climb. Happy enough with the run though, but obviously lots of room for improvement.

Aiming to do a 20k cycle tomorrow, just hope my legs aren't too stiff in the morning!

After finding out my basketball game tomorrow is cancelled and reading a few more logs etc., I decided on a change of plan tonight - my first dual training session. Did 9k on the bike in 25 mins, had planned to go further but had some problems with a loose saddle and had to turn back early, had to take it easy on the way back in too, as I was in danger of coming off the bike.

Followed this with a 5k run in 24:23, I'm actually amazed at this time because I went out so slowly. I'd read how the shift from the bike to running can be pretty difficult, but I didn't quite expect the level of effort required to get going, especially after a cycle that wasn't particularly taxing.

Not sure what the best plan is for tomorrow, will probably try a 25k cycle, but it depends on how I feel as I have a tag rugby semi on Thursday and don't want to tire myself out.

I saw Belpark tri club mentioned in another thread and think I might join up and go down for a few interval sessions and possibly some longer cycles after a couple more weeks of training on my own. I do enjoy the solitude of being out solo, but I'm pretty competitive by nature and maybe training with others will drive me that little bit harder.

10k cycle in 30 mins tonight, didn't feel great going out but now wish I had done more as it seems like nothing.

Tag rugby last night, didn't play well and we lost but it was a decent work-out. Supposed to be a rest day today but have decided not to go out tonight so may train instead.

Decided to go for a run last night, 9k in 49:16, shaved a minute off my time from earlier in the week. Felt quite strong at the finish, pretty happy with that especially considering I've been exercising for 9 days in a row now. Can feel it in my legs though this morning, today is definitely a rest day. Looking forward to basketball tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a disaster, only gt 3 hours sleep, missed basketball due to getting delayed and was too tired to motivate myself into going out for a run to make up for it. Still pretty tired today, but planning on a 9K run this evening.

Also I should have put this in the op, but I'd welcome any comments on my training and progress, this is all very new to me so I've no idea if I'm training properly or not!

9K run last night, felt terrible going out and didn't feel comfortable at any point on the run. Got a stitch about 3/4s of the way through and had to slow right down. Was pretty amazed to find I'd finished in 47:52, nearly 90 seconds faster then on Friday!

Last night was my first time trying out my new runners, got the gait analysis done in Amphibian King - can't recommend it highly enough, the girl was really helpful and spent lots of time explaining everything to me and the new runners felt great last night.

Tonight I'm planning a medium length cycle followed by a short run.

9k cycle followed by a 5k run last night, messed up my timing on the cycle so calling it 25 mins, run as in 23.55 which is 30 sec improvement on my last one of these, and the route I took is a little bit longer too.

Planned a 20k cycle for this evening, but having people over for dinner and the football so depends how quickly I can prep everything this evening.

Went for a quick cycle last night, managed 9k in about 25 mins.

Tag rugby tonight, last game of the season, looking forward to it.

Tag was cancelled last night, other team pulled out. Went for a quick 7k run instead before hitting the pub to celebrate our win by default. Had a time of 35:37 - my fastest yet over this distance - but my pacing was all over the place, went out way too fast and ended up jogging really slowly for the last 1k or so. I guess pacing is something that I will get better at the more I run, but have to say at the moment I'm finding it difficult.

Hoping to go swimming tonight depending on what time I get out of work at, if too late will go for a cycle.

• Advertisement

So didn't get out of work on time on Friday to go swimming, and even worse I ended up going straight out on the piss which carried on into Saturday night! So I got two rest days over the weekend :o. Played basketball on Sunday evening which was fun and managed to sweat most of the weekend's excesses out of me.

Planning a run tonight, 10k for the first time.

10k last night in 53:47, really happy with this. This is the longest I've ever run, and I managed to run it at roughly the same pace I've run my fastest 9k in. I also felt super strong at the end, and don't seem too tired today.

Tonight I'm either going swimming or going for cycle, I've a few things on this evening and it depends on how they pan out.

Went for my first swim last night, was much much tougher than I had hoped. Managed 100 meters front crawl before doing a further 150 meters of mainly breast stroke. Had to take a couple of lengthy breaks after the first 100 meters too. Definitely going to have to work hard on this, will probably try to concentrate on swimming for the next few weeks. Hopefully if I can get my breathing technique right I'll be able to get a bit more distance.

Playing tag rugby tonight, have signed up for a new league. Probably would have been better off concentrating on tri training but somehow got roped in! May go for some interval running afterwards depending on how tiring the match is.

Tag last night was a good work out, legs are actually a bit stiff today which hasn't happened in ages. We won as well which always helps. I got a knock on my throat and it's pretty sore, but aside from making me hoarse I don't think it'll affect my training.

Tonight will be either a 16k cycle or a swim, provided I can get out of the office in time.

Didn't get home from work until late, was pretty tired and it was raining but I forced myself out for a cycle. Only did 10k in about 25 minutes but it's better than nothing.

Not sure what I'm up to tonight, may take a rest day as it's been a long week and my throat is still really painful.

Not a great weekend training wise, played basketball on Sunday which was fun but we only had numbers for half-court so not a great work-out. No other training over the weekend which is bad, have to get it sorted out.

This week I'm going to be concentrating on cycling and swimming, tonight I'm my cycling to the pool and back with a swim in between.

Cycled to the pool and back last night, about 4K each way so tried to sprint it as hard as I could. In the pool I tried to concentrate on my technique and my breathing. Was definitely an improvement on last time, although I'm still way off the required distance. Once again while in the pool I felt absolutely shattered, but by the time I was changed I felt grand. Going to have to really work at this, or else there is no chance I'll be able to swim the 400m come September.

With that in mind I'm off to the pool again tonight. Going to spend a bit of time researching the best way for me to increase the distance and bring a bit more structure to my swim sessions.

Cycled to pool and back again last night, was very happy with my swim. I didn't manage to keep track of exactly how far I swam but it was a good deal further than the first two sessions, and with much fewer and shorter breaks along the way. Was shattered leaving the pool again, but this time it stayed with me the whole way home, which I guess means I got a much better work out. I'm also really looking forward to my next swimming session, something I never thought I'd say after the first time.

Tag rugby tonight, really looking forward to it, my legs are itching for a good run around!

Tag rugby last night, we won, didn't play well, didn't get a great run-out as we had too many players down.

Not sure what I'm doing tonight, had planned to go to the pool again but a few things have come up so may go for a run instead.

Cycled to pool and back last night, decent enough session although I had to finish about 10 minutes early due to bad cramps in my legs. It as pretty weird, as soon as I got in the pool my foot cramped up and I got intermittent cramps in my lower legs the whole way through the session, eventually it was too bad to continue. I've no idea what caused this, and this is first time I've got any kind of cramps since I started training. Otherwise the session was quite good, probably an improvement on the last time. I think I'll try and fit in three swims again for the next two weeks, and hopefully will continue to improve. I'm now pretty confident that by the time September rolls around I'll be able to at least finish the swim.

Tonight I want to go for a run, but I'd probably be better off going for a long cycle. Will see how I feel after work.

• Advertisement

So eh another alcohol fueled weekend totally messed up my training, didn't do anything for four days! That's the last one of those for a while though, but I'm still going to have to work hard to make up for it.

Got back on track last night with a short cycle and a swim, swim went pretty well, was a good work out, my arms felt like they were on fire afterwards. Tag rugby tonight, should be good.

Tag last night, we totally hammered the other team which wasn't ideal, the game was very stop start and didn't really get much of a run out aside from a couple of longish sprints. I also didn't score any tries, which is pretty lolbad.

Went for a short cycle and a swim this evening. I had problems with cramps in my feet again, started as soon as I got in the pool and eventually led to me getting out about 15 mins early once they moved up my legs and became more persistent. It's pretty weird, going to try and find out what's causing it. Otherwise the swim itself went pretty well, did over 300m with minimal breaks followed by another 200m or so with breaks after every coupe of lengths.

Moving apartments tomorrow evening so hoping to get out for a run at some point.

Didn't get a chance to do anything on Friday evening, for once not due to my hectic social life, but because moving apartments was a real chore. Went for a long cycle yesterday, out to Powerscourt and back, approximately 45k. That's nearly three times further than I've ever cycled before. We did it at leisurely pace, and stopped for a coffee half-way, but it was still a decent work-out. Have to say I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to be out training with someone else for a change. I was totally wrecked afterwards, but surprisingly I'm not in any pain today (aside from the hangover from last night).

Basketball this evening, should be good, hope we get enough numbers for a decent game.

Basketball on Sunday was excellent, really good work out and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went for a cycle yesterday, was enjoyable but due to a number of factors wasn't great training.

Planning to go for a swim this evening.

Cycled to the pool and back last night. Swim went very well, managed 1,000 metres with little or no breaks - the only times I paused was because the pool was pretty busy last night, not due to feeling tired. Around the 750m mark I felt amazing and was actually thinking I could keep going forever! Feet cramped up towards the end, but it was normal cramp not like the last few times. Was absolutely wrecked after and slept like a baby last night.

Tag rugby tonight, we've been moved into the A league so expecting a much tougher few weeks. Looking forward to it though.

Tag was disastrous, lost to a try in the last minute despite being lots of points up at one point and the better team by a good bit. Stupid mistakes and some terrible calls from the ref did us in the end. Was a decent work out, but felt totally deflated afterwards.

Going swimming tonight, hoping to match Tuesday's effort.

Swim last night started well, but got cramp in my calf after about 550 metres, and had to take a 5 minute break to stretch it out. Up till then I had swum pretty solidly. I finished off the 1,000 meters pretty slowly, taking breaths after each length, but at least I managed to finish it. When I got out of the pool my feet were crippled with cramp for the first few minutes, very irritating and somewhat sore. Took it easy on the cycle home, but somehow managed to puncture both tyres.

Rest tonight, as I've a tag tournament tomorrow followed by a cycle and basketball on Sunday.

Rest day Friday. Played a tag tournament yesterday, was good fun, pretty wrecked afterwards. Somehow I've agreed to go on an off-road run this morning, really not in the mood for it. Also playing basketball this evening, so I'm going to be pretty tired tomorrow!

Ok the weekend has really taken it out of my legs, they feel like they are filled with lead and every step hurts! The run up the mountains was great, I went with a few people who are doing Gaelforce next week and they really pushed me. I finished about 10 minutes behind them, but I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been hungover and already in pain from tag the day before I could have kept up with them. It was great practice for the race, found some aspects of off-road running very difficult. The downhill was absolutely killer for me, I had to take it really slow as I wasn't comfortable with it and was worried about slipping. I reckon a few more practice sessions will see a big improvement.

I then played basketball in the evening, was tough going. We only had 5 players so played 3v2 full court, which meant an awful lot of running. Did enjoy it though. The cycle home was pretty tough though!

I'm considering either a cycle or a swim this evening, want to see how my legs feel later before deciding.

• Advertisement

Went for a short recovery run, 3k in 20 mins before a cycle last night, 13K in 35 mins. Legs felt ok on the bike but I didn't want to overdo it. They are a bit sore again today, but should be fine by this evening.

Apparently I agreed to do some outdoor fitness class tonight, so I'm going to go to that and than hopefully get a swim in afterwards.

Advertisement