Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Where Are They Gone

Options
  • 28-06-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭

Hi All

What happened this year with Thunderstorms that normally come up over Ireland from Spain especially in June, I dont think there have been any from that part of the World this year. Is it looking bad for a few good storms this year???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

For me anyway its been a very poor year compared to last year (which wasn't great anyway!)

The only lightning I have seen so far in 2010 was in January during the "big freeze" over North East Sligo/South East Donegal, since then - nothing!!

I remember last year there were several storms which I had witnessed (1 in April, 2 in May and 4 - at least in June).

I remember one year in August (2005) there were storms every day for over a week, come 13:00 clouds were bubbling up very nicely and producing some great storms - plenty of fork lightning, not just the "odd strike"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I miss thunderstorms. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I remember one year in August (2005) there were storms every day for over a week, come 13:00 clouds were bubbling up very nicely and producing some great storms - plenty of fork lightning, not just the "odd strike"!!

It was either August 2003 or 2004 we had the same here. Intense daily thunderstorms for about 4 or 5 days. I even witnessed a touchdown!!

Anyway, back to 2010...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

lalee17 wrote: »
    I miss thunderstorms. :(

memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hardware_king

There was a few flashes and bangs last night southside, headed up towards the mountains to watch but it had passed by the time we got up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Apparently Coleraine have them nearly every day

Thats when its not snowing, freezing cold, wall to wall sunshine when its the hottest part of Ireland and maybe the Islands of Britain/Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »

Thats when its not snowing, freezing cold, wall to wall sunshine when its the hottest part of Ireland and maybe the Islands of Britain/Ireland!

I think you know that we were the hottest part yesterday.

owenc wrote: »
    I think you know that we were the hottest part yesterday.
    :D

Oh lookie we are the warmest in the island again! Thats three days in a row.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CJWRC94

Well , last year I almost had a storm every week of the summer , well thundery showerrs atleast!

But I havnt heard a rumble since last August , dont think ive even seen a convective shower this year!

I think the prblem is this summer its all been , south westerly , southerly or easterly winds. And living 12-15 miles from south and east coasts this means there is little landmass for showers to develop over.

But GFS seems to think that a more , nort-north westerly pattern is on the way over the next couple of weeks! This might bring a few storms , but bye bye good summer! Ken Ring was right!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Was just about out to post a thread on this myself, then seen this thread.

From what I remember growing up in Cavan, there used to be pretty aggressive thunder storms.

However they seemed to get less frequent and less intense over the years.

How living in the midlands, I rarely ever see thunder storms, Maybe the odd mild thunder shower, but that's it.

Anyone else feel that thunderstorms were more frequent and powerful about 20 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Anyone else feel that thunderstorms were more frequent and powerful about 20 years ago?

I remember them happening quite regularly when i was younger. Have a memory of watching a display of fork lightning that went on for what felt at the time time like all evening.

I also remember that the power used to get cut off quite a lot when i was younger because of lightning strikes. Our ESB network is probably more equipped to deal with strikes nowadays, hence the less frequent cut offs, but I have not seen lightning in this part of Clare in at least 2 years (well during all the time i was awake!)

ps....here is a recording (audio) of the last thunderstorm to hit my part of clare. caught it on minidisc recorder
    http://www.filedropper.com/weather2

JUST DOWNLOAD AND SAVE TO DESKTOP - SMALL FILE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Hey, the thunderstorms are all over here in northern Sardinia! I've just arrived and the show is just starting. They get regular storms develop here in seabreeze convergence zones, temperature's currently above 30C and dewpoint around 20C, there's a storm about 3 miles to my south, rumbles every 30secs but can't see lightning as I'm in the sun. Let's hope it lasts into the night!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Hey, the thunderstorms are all over here in northern Sardinia! I've just arrived and the show is just starting. They get regular storms develop here in seabreeze convergence zones, temperature's currently above 30C and dewpoint around 20C, there's a storm about 3 miles to my south, rumbles every 30secs but can't see lightning as I'm in the sun. Let's hope it lasts into the night!

I was in Palu in Northern Sardinia last month, i also witnessed some terrific storms, especially some i the sea between Corsica and Sardinia

I was in Palu in Northern Sardinia last month, i also witnessed some terrific storms, especially some i the sea between Corsica and Sardinia
    Yeah, some whoppers here, best one was in '04, was up the mountains in the thick of it, lightning striking all around me, lucky I was in the car!

Storm's slowly getting closer, plenty of lightning, all CG, one has even started a wild fire off to my southwest! Am videoing it all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yeah, some whoppers here, best one was in '04, was up the mountains in the thick of it, lightning striking all around me, lucky I was in the car!

Storm's slowly getting closer, plenty of lightning, all CG, one has even started a wild fire off to my southwest! Am videoing it all

Gez some guys have all the luck dont forget the post the video if you can

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Look nice alright Su. http://www.sat24.com/it

Feckin thing didn't make it much closer before it fizzled out, I was just 2-3 miles too far north, all the ground strikes were around that far from me. Maybe just as well as I was on the top floor o an apartment, which is on high ground! Did get some huge fat raindrops, they'd nearly knock you out the size of them!! :lol: I'll put up the video when I get back.

Things are starting to kick off in the same spot again today. Started off with a few cumulus earlier, and in the last 15mins they've started to explode. Hopefully this time I'll get more action, if not then I'll hop in the car and do a spot of chasing, or "caccia" as they say here!

Things are starting to kick off in the same spot again today. Started off with a few cumulus earlier, and in the last 15mins they've started to explode. Hopefully this time I'll get more action, if not then I'll hop in the car and do a spot of chasing, or "caccia" as they say here!

Looking forward to the pics already.

Say hello to thunder for me, and tell it that we here in Ireland miss it. Tell it to please come back, that we are sorry if we did something wrong. Not sure exactly what we did wrong on it, but we are still sorry. :o

• Advertisement

Didn't get a chance to have a word with him DE, I was driving off to intercept it, hadn't got even 1/4 mile down the road when I hit a stone and blew out the front tyre. Limped back to the local kwikfit and had to fork out 160 quid for a new one! It kinda put a damper on my mood. Continued on after but I reckon the action was 30km over the mountains by then, didn't feel like driving that distance down dirt tracks so called it a day :rolleyes:

There's a major storm down further south again, nearly covering half the island! Would be nice to be down that far!

http://www.sat24.com/it

Didn't get a chance to have a word with him DE, I was driving off to intercept it, hadn't got even 1/4 mile down the road when I hit a stone and blew out the front tyre. Limped back to the local kwikfit and had to fork out 160 quid for a new one! It kinda put a damper on my mood. Continued on after but I reckon the action was 30km over the mountains by then, didn't feel like driving that distance down dirt tracks so called it a day :rolleyes:

Damn, that sounds like an unfortunate and costly storm chase :o. Still, even the site of them in the distance must be fantastic down there. I was watching that storm blow up over the island earlier on the sat24. Looked massive!

Wouldn't it be great if we could move Ireland down there. I'd gladly sacrifice the chance of a cold winter in exchange for regular and spectacular thunderstorms anyday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Lots of thunderstorms last summer, none so far around here this year, maybe today will be the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Europe has a few thunderstorms right now, in particular Greece/Macedonia.

Sooooo jealous :(

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_3=3

Min wrote: »
    Lots of thunderstorms last summer, none so far around here this year, maybe today will be the first.

Last thunder heard here was in November during a series of passing squalls on the 21st:
    118816.gif

Nothing since....:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Last thunder heard here was in November during a series of passing squalls on the 21st:
    118816.gif

Nothing since....:(:(:(

Ah i Rememeber that day, was on the bus goin into town and BAM!... lightning all over the sky.

Sure do miss it!..... Wish we could switch weather wit texas or somehwere like that for the summer! ha

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ah i Rememeber that day, was on the bus goin into town and BAM!... lightning all over the sky.

Sure do miss it!..... Wish we could switch weather wit texas or somehwere like that for the summer! ha

Naw do canada they get epic snowfalls in the winter, sure i was there in the summer and it was 44c and the snow was still in a big pile at the side of the town (they push it up into a mountain in the winter).

Ah jayz lads I missed a whopper of a storm this afternoon here. Yesterday I moved to Alghero and today there was the mother of all storms back exactly where I'd been until yesterday! :mad:

I could see the clouds developing to my east after lunch today and knew I shouldn't have left back the rental car yesterday. With dewpoints of 21-22C and surface temperatures in the low-mid 30s the development took no longer than 15 minutes. You can see on the image below the overshooting tops, highlighting how dynamic things were. The anvil made it across this far west but things look to be fizzling out now.

The one that got away! :rolleyes:

http://www.sat24.com/region.aspx?type=last&time=201007051700&country=it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

How's the center of France for thunder storms in the end of July/Early August?
    I've seen some serious dry heat and unreal rain there in the past but I've yet to see any lightning.
    Going later in the year than I usually do this year though so I've got my fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd say you've a significantly better chance of seeing good thunderstorms there than here! Bring a few little ones back in your suitcase. :)

Advertisement