Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England WC funnies

• 28-06-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

From the Telegraph

-David Blaine is reportedly furious after England crashed out of the World Cup – his record of doing absolutely nothing in a box for 42 days was broken by Wayne Rooney.

– The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope,” said Jamal, aged six.

– I’ve just won two tickets to see the England team. Do you want to come with me? We’ll catch the bus to Gatwick Airport on Thursday and watch them come home.

– I hear Oxo are making a new product. The packaging is white with a red cross and they're calling it the laughing stock.

– What’s the difference between the England team and a tea bag? The tea bag stays in the cup longer.

– Fabio Capello was wheeling his shopping trolley across the supermarket car park when he noticed an old lady struggling with her bags of shopping. He stopped and asked, “Can you manage dear?” To which the old lady replied: “No way. You got yourself into this mess. Don’t ask me to sort it out!”

– What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stages of the World Cup? A referee.

– Apparently that fan had no trouble slipping into the England dressing room – Robert Green was guarding the door.

– I can’t believe we only managed a draw against a rubbish team we should easily have beaten. . . . I’m ashamed to call myself Algerian.

– What does the Englishman do when England wins the World Cup? He switches off the Play Station.

– What’s the difference between Wayne Rooney and Shrek? Shrek can save the day.

– What’s the difference between a faulty jet engine and Wayne Rooney? The jet engine eventually stops whining.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

- Emile Heskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's funny about 2 and 3 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i think bst stands for (buls**t time) des

i think bst stands for (buls**t time) des

It stands for British Standard Time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Des wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not getting that either...........

I assume its part of the article (serious) that got in amongst the jokes as well.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It stands for British Standard Time

British Summer Time actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

3 is crap, but 2? I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Daily-Mail-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Sky Sports Englands best bits world cup webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

People from a country that couldnt even qualify for the world cup slagging a team that got knocked out of the 2nd round. Strange logic :confused:

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Daily-Mail-001.jpg

Coincidentally that's the same face Rooney makes when he thinks of women over 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pauleta wrote: »
    People from a country that couldnt even qualify for the world cup slagging a team that got knocked out of the 2nd round. Strange logic :confused:
    Yeah, strange logic alright. About as strange as a nation thinking they were good enough to win every World Cup since 1966 and getting uncerimoniuosly dumped out of each one using every excuse but "We aren't actually that good"...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's just schadenfreude. Ironic it's a German word.

Not really. Irelands final position exceeded what they'd been given to work with.

England on the other hand only did exactly as good as what they'd been given to work with.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's just schadenfreude. Ironic it's a German word.

The same way ten thousand spoons are ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

bonerm wrote: »
    Not really. Irelands final position exceeded what they'd been given to work with.

England on the other hand only did exactly as good as what they'd been given to work with.

Bull****

The Muppet wrote: »
    Bull****

You think that group of players should have won the group or even that play-off? I don't think so anyway. Even with Italy and France flopping at the WC they were still better than us on paper (and on the pitch) at the times we played them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

someone who has probably done hypocritical things in their life having a go at others for doing the same....strange logic. BLAH!

You think that group of players should have won the group or even that play-off? I don't think so anyway. Even with Italy and France flopping at the WC they were still better than us on paper (and on the pitch) at the times we played them.

Did you see the shambles of a french team that qualified ahead of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I just logged into Vodafone Webtext and sent every one of those messages the and English fella i know.

Good riddance to the fcuker because when Ireland were knocked out by France, he rang me every day for about 5 days shouting God Save the Queen down the phone....

If people have anymore then post them up!

• Advertisement

Did you see the shambles of a french team that qualified ahead of us?

Yes I did. I watched all three games and they were a shambles. However, in the play-offs they played better and deservedly beat us in Dublin and were probably 50:50 overall with us in Paris. Because we took the lead in Paris and were robbed many now have this impression we were bossing that game. We weren't and were clearly wilting in extra time. French had most possession had something like 16-5 in terms of shots on goal.

Yes I did. I watched all three games and they were a shambles. However, in the play-offs they better and deservedly beat us in Dublin and were probably 50:50 overall with us in Paris. Because we took the lead there and were robbed many now have this impression we were bossing that game. We weren't and were clearly wilting in extra time. French had most possession had something like 16-8 in terms of shots on goal.

So which teams did we finish ahead in the group that leads you to believe we exceeded the position our squad merited?

So which teams did we finish ahead in the group that leads you to believe we exceeded the position our squad merited?

No one. For my money there wasn't much between us and Bulgaria. But I think to get to a play-off (and that wasn't a given either just for finishing 2nd - ask Norway) and then push a (at that time at least) decent team as close as we did was to exceed expectations.

Advertisement