Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband question

• 28-06-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

We have a problem with our broadband in the house at home. Every time the landline rings or when some one makes a call, the internet gets cut off. I bought adapters and put them on the two phones but the problem is still there. Has anyone any idea what might be wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pd101 wrote: »
    I bought adapters and put them on the two phones but the problem is still there.

Do you mean filters? There should also be a different type of one connected to the modem. If there isn't, then that's your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need the Modem plugged into Modem part of a phone/modem DSL filter.

It's filters you got not adaptors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The first thing I'd check is which side of the router is your connection dropping on. Can you still ping your router while making phone calls and while the internet is not working.

If you can then the next thing would be to make sure the filters are hooked up correctly, the correct port is marked on the filter so make sure that your router is plugged into the right one. Its also possible that you have an older handset which is adding noise to the line, so see if the DSL drops when you only have one handset plugged in.

If you can't ping the router, then I'm guessing that your are using wireless and a wireless handset for the phone. If this is the case then its possible for them to interfere with each other. Couple things you could try to fix this, try moving the phones base station away from the router, try changing the routers Wi-Fi channel and finally consider buying a wireless phone which uses a different frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Knasher wrote: »
    If you can then the next thing would be to make sure the filters are hooked up correctly, the correct port is marked on the filter so make sure that your router is plugged into the right one..

I think this is what was wrong. There is a fax, phone and router at the one connection and the adapter and filter were the wrong way around.

Advertisement