Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nairobi to Jo'burg - Oasis Overland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I did an overland tour from Cape Town up to Nairobi including a loop into Uganda last summer. Think it was around 75 days. I did it with a company called Africa Travel Co. The thing about overland tours on the Cape Town/Jo'Burg to Nairobi route is that they pretty much all do the same thing and stay in the same campsites. There will be some slight variations on routes and activities but there is pretty much only one main road that runs through all those countries. You will be seeing other overland trucks all along the routes stopping in the same places and all sharing campsites. Its not a bad thing really but just so you don't get taken in by the whole 'camping out in the wilderness on your own vibe' that a lot of these companies try to spin.

There is quite a bewildering array overland companies to choose from. In the end I picked Africa Travel Co because it was cheap and was doing the Cape Town to Nairobi route which suited me (A lot of companies only do the Nairobi -> Cape Town route because it is much more popular). The main things to consider when shopping around is the route/price which best suits you. There is also a lot of other smaller things to consider like if the overland truck has a cook or your group cooks for themselves and if the company has African or European guides etc.

From what I remember of seeing Oasis trucks around they looked well kept and quite modern. The passengers seemed older than other companies i.e. 35+. I'm pretty certain they were self catering as well. Having your own cook is so handy. Ours was from Kenya and consistently put together amazing meals for us.

Hope all that makes sense. If you have any questions just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Booked, paid for and all that's left to do is get everything in order for the trip!

Gonna be epic :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Good luck. Please report back. I would love to do something like that.

Advertisement