Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rosettastone? good or bad??

• 28-06-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

anybody tried it. what did you think off it. i am thinking about learning spanish would like to know if its any good first though>it does cost a lot!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah you're right, it is ridiculously expensive, & personally, I don't think anything is worth that much.
    Having said that, my mum is just after buying the French one but she hasn't started, so I can't really say how good it is.

All I know is that it doesn't go through grammar rules with you, & it tries to teach you by using a more natural approach.
    I don't really think ignoring grammar completely is a good idea. I always find when things are explained to me, but in a simple way:D, that's always the best & most helpful way to do things.

But then again, the way everyone learns is different. Are you able to do a trial or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Never used it myself but I have heard some very good things about them - especially if yoy intend on fully mastering the language (opposed to learning enough to get by with)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Was looking at it myself as it seems better for me then books and repeating audio. Would really like a review before paying the money out. Seems the online way is the cheapest as I would be conected at home and any where you have a pc these days.

Come on people any one used it yet?

Regards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I learnt quite a bit of Dutch using it.

It's somewhat boring, but it does a good job of teaching you new words gradually. You need to be able to dedicate at least 30 minutes per day to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

using it 30mins a day how long before your fluent(ish) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

The fact that it doesn't teach you grammar will leave you stumped, you would need to get a grammar book with it so you will know how the language works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

talkin wrote: »
    using it 30mins a day how long before your fluent(ish) ;)
    That depends very much on how good your memory is, and which language you are learning. It also helps if you have a real person to practice with.

To be honest, it'll take as long as it takes. Some people pick up languages very easily, and others not so quickly. A German friend of mine learned conversational Swedish in 2 months (she had to, since she had accepted a job in Sweden that required fluency in Swedish and had lied on her CV :D )

I would estimate that you could have decent conversational skills in about 3-4 months if you really put your mind to it. I personally was in no hurry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Plus if you really put yourself to it and are motivated it will go a lot quicker. Like Crazyrabbit says, some people have a natural nack for picking up languages. Best to give it a go and see how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

still havent got it, think i will though when i save up a bit more!

Advertisement