Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom charging me vat at 21% for home package?

• 28-06-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I have eircom phone and broadband residential and im being charged vat at 21% on top of my subtotal. Whats going on? Im on the eircom next generation broadband advanced and eircom talktime talker package for 66.71 per month-no mention of added vat in contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Of course they are charging you VAT. VAT is always charged, and is normally itemised on your bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

hello932 wrote: »
    I have eircom phone and broadband residential and im being charged vat at 21% on top of my subtotal. Whats going on? Im on the eircom next generation broadband advanced and eircom talktime talker package for 66.71 per month-no mention of added vat in contract?

Erm. You pay VAT on most things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

jor el wrote: »
    Of course they are charging you VAT. VAT is always charged, and is normally itemised on your bill.

When i signed up i asked quite a few of the eircom support people is this the full price for my package per month and they all said yes. No mention of vat on their site or in my contract. I assumed that vat was already included in my bill.

VAT will have been included in the price they quoted, but will be itemised separately on your bill. Look over what exactly is on your bill, and you'll probably see you are paying the right amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

When i signed up i asked quite a few of the eircom support people is this the full price for my package per month and they all said yes. No mention of vat on their site or in my contract. I assumed that vat was already included in my bill.

€66.71 is the full price of your package including VAT. Did they say it would cost less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is your total €66.71 or is €66.71 your subtotal?

Please clarify.

It is possible you may be paying a portion of a billing period.

Is your total €66.71 or is €66.71 your subtotal?

Please clarify.

It is possible you may be paying a portion of a billing period.

66.71 was the full price i was told by eircom support for a month. I also read this on their website.

However according to my bill this 66.71 is also subject to vat at 21%. This vat was not told to me by eircom support nor is in their website or contract i received in the post. So why do i have to pay vat at 21%? i thought it was included in the 66.71 per month?

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/23/?view=Standard
    €66.71 is the price including VAT. Either there's a mistake on your bill, or you're reading it wrong.

jor el wrote: »
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/23/?view=Standard
    €66.71 is the price including VAT. Either there's a mistake on your bill, or you're reading it wrong.

Im going to ring up eircom support now. If that dosent work i guess im off to the consumer agency and maybe small claims court again. Sigh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

66.71 was the full price i was told by eircom support for a month. I also read this on their website.

However according to my bill this 66.71 is also subject to vat at 21%. This vat was not told to me by eircom support nor is in their website or contract i received in the post. So why do i have to pay vat at 21%? i thought it was included in the 66.71 per month?
    You are confusing things; you will only pay 66.71 EUR per month inc VAT. This 66.71 EUR includes the 21% VAT already and Eircom is informing you (as per law) that they are charging you VAT on behalf of the state, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I love how people always jump to conclusions, but love even more how they seem determined to stick to those conclusions.

OP.
    You've had about a half dozen posters telling you that there is nothing wrong with the bill, from what you're describing, but rather than looking at it objectively, you talk about going to the small claims court!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

have to say this put a smile on my face, 66.71 is including vat, its not a separate charge its included in the price, you have no case with eircom any consumer agency or the small claims court

but obviously from your posts its something you didnt want to hear so good luck with your endeavours to get back something your not entitled to

Shin

Ok i dont get what you posters are trying to get at but this is my current situation.

I ordered eircom phone and broadband 2 months ago. Just to make sure it went through i phoned the customer support to make sure the order was accepted. She said yes and all was fine.

Today i got a bill where i was being charged extra vat at 21%. So i rang the eircom support again. Turns out someone ****ed up my order. Despite receiving the correct letter and contract with the correct details someone in eircom signed me up with the wrong package- i was apparently on some uk calls only package. When in fact i ordered eircom talktime broadband advanced and eircom talktime talker.

In any case im supposed to get a new bill in 2 days with some changes so ill see how it goes.

And why is everyone attacking me-is it because i am the only one with a clue here? or is it because we irish hate criticizing large state owned companies who are in the wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ok i dont get what you posters are trying to get at but this is my current situation.

I ordered eircom phone and broadband 2 months ago. Just to make sure it went through i phoned the customer support to make sure the order was accepted. She said yes and all was fine.

Today i got a bill where i was being charged extra vat at 21%. So i rang the eircom support again. Turns out someone ****ed up my order. Despite receiving the correct letter and contract with the correct details someone in eircom signed me up with the wrong package- i was apparently on some uk calls only package. When in fact i ordered eircom talktime broadband advanced and eircom talktime talker.

In any case im supposed to get a new bill in 2 days with some changes so ill see how it goes.

And why is everyone attacking me-is it because i am the only one with a clue here? or is it because we irish hate criticizing large state owned companies who are in the wrong?

1) you came on here saying your being overcharged on vat which your not

2) now your signed up on the wrong package

Eircom is not charging you extra for anything, if someone signed you up for the wrong package thats something else entirely and something you will need to take up with eircom, but even when your on the right package you will still be charged the same vat rate on that package as your on now, you cannot get out of paying vat

Shin

You said the extra charge was VAT, when it's actually not VAT at all. Doesn't seem like you are the one with a clue.

eircom is not state owned, so you're wrong on that one too.

You are not being charged extra VAT on any bill, wrong package or not, you will always see the VAT listed separately. The higher than expected bill must have been due to the wrong package being selected, nothing to do with VAT.

Just because you couldn't read your bill properly, doesn't mean anyone here has anything against you, or that they are pro-eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

To be fair to some of the lads here, although some posts were harsh you didn't give us any context until now. You just said that you were charged VAT at 21% and were wondering why. We're not mind readers. You didn't point out sooner that you were being asked to pay extra VAT on top of that already paid for.

I do agree with you in the sense that no one has to be rude, but no one can give you useful info or help if you don't fully clarify your issue. Good luck in dealing with eircom! P.S. eircom are not state-owned in any way for the last 10 years or so;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a consumer/home package so VAT is automatically added to the total displayed price on their website,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So was your total €80.72 (which would be 66.71 + 21%)?

If not, you're reading it incorrectly.

Your Eircom bill should show your sub-total as €52.70 + 21% VAT = Total €66.71

If it is more than this, it is either because a) different package or b) call charges for out of package calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 technonerd

And why is everyone attacking me

It is just the way some people here are, maybe if their avatar was a passport photo and their home address was in their profile they would be more polite and helpful, but such is the anonymity of the web.

If they have over charged you, get a refund, or change provider if you have that option, if you do change, call them up and tell them exactly why you switched!

Good luck. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

technonerd wrote: »
    It is just the way some people here are, maybe if their avatar was a passport photo and their home address was in their profile they would be more polite and helpful, but such is the anonymity of the web.

Nonesense,
    The OP came on to this thread and didn't provide the full story so it looked like he was very much misinformed and as such was ranting, very simple really.

Anyway back on topic

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion ive caused

Its wednesday now and i still haven't reveived my new bill like i was told i would. Im thinking of ringing in again and emailing a formal complaint-i cant find a eircom customer support email address-not on their website-anyone know of one?

Sorry for the confusion ive caused

Its wednesday now and i still haven't reveived my new bill like i was told i would. Im thinking of ringing in again and emailing a formal complaint-i cant find a eircom customer support email address-not on their website-anyone know of one?

It'll take Eircom two days to post the bill, but that doesn't include the postage time itself.
    Give it a aday or so.

i cant find a eircom customer support email address-not on their website-anyone know of one?
    If you prefer to put the complaint in writing, you can send it to the following address:

eircom Customer Care,
    5th Floor,
    Telephone House,
    Marlborough Street,
    Dublin 1.
    By fax

If you wish to send Eircom your letter of complaint by fax, you may fax Eircom on 1800 200 480.
    By phone

You can contact Eircoms Customer Care team directly on freefone 1800 200 481, 9am - 5.30 pm (Mon - Fri) where you can speak to one of Eircoms Customer Care Executives and register your complaint.

Try that if you want

Ok because of this **** up i have to pay a 'part period rental'-anyone know what this is ? the term is not in my contract or on the eircom website..and the support there couldn't redirect me to further information?

Basically i signed up to a phone only package in april the 6th which was completed on the 24th. I then decide to change to a phone and broadband package on the 28th of april. Which i thought was fine. But apparently until i signed up for the phone and broadband package on the 28th i am liable for 'being able to use my broadband' from the 6th to the 24th (despite being on a phone only package). The broadband did not appear on my first bill and so i have to pay this once off charge said the eircom support. Is this a con? i didnt get a letter or a phone call, i was not informed of this in any way

Can you post a scan of the letter?
    (blanking out personal details obviously)

Ok because of this **** up i have to pay a 'part period rental'-anyone know what this is ? the term is not in my contract or on the eircom website..and the support there couldn't redirect me to further information?

Sounds like a pro-rata charge, basically a partial bill

Advertisement