Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a good butcher?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Was reading a blog from here and was surprised at what was said about our butchers. Is there a decent one in balbriggan who actually sell irish meat??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

It has to be Brownes opposite the Central. Best butcher in the town by far in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Sean Browne is brilliant as is Castle Mill butchers up at Dunnes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Butcher up in Castlemill is good and very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Perhaps a bit of a detour, but the butchers in the Naul is really good, proper Irish meat and excellent service. They get fresh fish from Skerries in every 2 weeks too!

Other than that - I quite like the butchers in SuperValue, though I am not entirely sure were their meat comes from...

sNarah wrote: »
    Other than that - I quite like the butchers in SuperValue, though I am not entirely sure were their meat comes from...

Supervalu's meat is Irish. It is supplied by Musgraves in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Another detour to Stamullen will get you to Shane Curran butchers. He's very good. He also stocks fish on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm not sure where he sources the fish as I don't eat it so never asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

It has to be Brownes opposite the Central. Best butcher in the town by far in my opinion.

Can't argue with both the quality and service from Sean's shop - home made sasuages are nice and he also stocks Kelly's of Mayo black & white pudding - the black was recently rated 9.5 out of 10 in the Ev. Herald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Brownes is about the best, special mention to SV meat dept..... Great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i get my meat mostly in the butchers in castlemill or the odd time in supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

cheers for the replies. but i'm still wondering which sell garanteed irish meat :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You are best to ask the butcher directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

sirpsycho wrote: »
    cheers for the replies. but i'm still wondering which sell garanteed irish meat :confused:

I would imagine that a high percentage of the meat sold by the aforementioned establishments would be of Irish origin. It would be almost impossible for a butcher to have 100% of it's stock Irish. The only way to be sure is ask but I would imagine 9 times out of the 10 the produce will be Irish.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I would imagine that a high percentage of the meat sold by the aforementioned establishments would be of Irish origin. It would be almost impossible for a butcher to have 100% of it's stock Irish. The only way to be sure is ask but I would imagine 9 times out of the 10 the produce will be Irish.

The Butchers up at Castle Mill are very good, helpful and resonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 N760

the butcher on clonard street in balbriggan does fabulous meat and his meat is 100% irish, i asked him this before there is no name on the shop but his bike is always outside the shop you cannot miss him.

N760 wrote: »
    the butcher on clonard street in balbriggan does fabulous meat and his meat is 100% irish, i asked him this before there is no name on the shop but his bike is always outside the shop you cannot miss him.

That shop would be locally known as the Huggie Baxters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

sgarvan wrote: »
    That shop would be locally known as the Huggie Baxters

:D I always thought it was Hooky..... Huggie i far cuter

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Its Hucky, he sells my potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BaldyBishop

Yep it's Hooky. He's a real butcher and a gent. I haven't found a better T-Bone anywhere. I've been getting great meat from Hooky for years. i don't live in D'Riggan anymore but still make it my business to drop in when passing. If you live close to Hooky on Clonard Street you are very lucky. Go Get Some!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

There's also a guy called Larry Flynn who raises his own beef. he's in a business centre which does not have any other shops near it. don't know the name of it. he used to be in Skerries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

If your ever in Baldoyle Industrial Estate pop in to kerrigans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Hackets in rush is excellent, and free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Kerrigan's are now in Malahide as well as Baldoyle (which is their factory shop). Decent butcher & family.
    The butcher in Naul is very good & many friends and family in the area speak very highly if them.
    Hands down the best butcher in Balbriggan has to be Brownes for me. Even the prepared meats are Irish (e.g. Stir fry mix). It's not just the meat though, it's the sense of community & care that they have along with attention to every customer no matter how much they spend.

Brownes is a top notch butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

sgarvan wrote: »
    Supervalu's meat is Irish. It is supplied by Musgraves in Cork.

Looking at what has happened in the last few weeks I think the only way to find out if the meat is 100% is to ask the butcher directly. I would like to think when I go to local independent butcher he knows the farm his meat is coming from.

On a recent issue Do any Fingal NCD butchers do horse meat? Quite popular on the continent and with our very diverse population ......... I hear it is good for Runners;), Can give you the trots if not properly cooked;)

The Hill Billy This might be for another thread but when I was in Switzerland a few years back I had horse meat. Didnt know until I had it consumed and all of a sudden I felt unwell but it was all right, just a little tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

LeoB wrote: »

On a recent issue Do any Fingal NCD butchers do horse meat? Quite popular on the continent and with our very diverse population ........

Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Generally I have found all cheap breasts of chicken in MOST BUTCHERS ( Don't know about Balbriggan Butchers) ie <€1 a breast will usually be foreign .. Holland etc

dak wrote: »
    Generally I have found all cheap breasts of chicken in MOST BUTCHERS ( Don't know about Balbriggan Butchers) ie <€1 a breast will usually be foreign .. Holland etc

or tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

dak wrote: »

Holland is the gateway to Europe for asian Chicken. Once they are processed or have a certain % of work carried out there they can be labelled as Produce of Netherlands.

Advertisement