Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car/ camper rental on the east coast for 3-4 weeks?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just wondering if anyone knows what the cheapest way of doing this is?
    Will be travelling from Cairns south and seems as though the cheapest rental to be got online for a small to medium sized car is $1000-1200 and over $1500 for a small camper.
    i have heard that rentals can be cheap if the companies are trying to move cars/campers between depots (or if you're going the opposite direction to what most people do).
    Anyone have any experience of this?
    Had considered buying a car but then have the hassle of selling it after and no guarantees of even getting to Sydney if you're paying that kind of money I think!
    Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

We went the other way and it was great fun, but my better half says she'll never set foot in a camper again!!
    From experience:
    Camper vans are handy for carrying everything
    Camper vans can be very cramped, it you want to cook anything etc. (especially at 6'3")
    A/C is very important between Nov and Mar (it may only come on when engine is running - not feasible at night)
    For additional comfort (electricity, toilets, showers) you may end up spending a bit on Caravan parks ($20+ per day)
    Easier to arrange accomodation every night.
    The Cost of the camper is only the start.....it adds up!

Saying that the YHA there is far superior to here, they're well set-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

www.standbyrelocs.com is a site mentioned here before for thing you are talking about. However, tbh they don't offer a great deal as you have to basically get from A to B very quickly..you simply wouldn't enjoy the holiday.
    Many camper sites out there. I travelled in a Britz..not the cheapest but guaranteed to have the best van you can get. Backpacker are another option..basically the older campers from Britz/Maui. Check online.
    $1500 between 2 doesn't seem bad..if you are going for 3/4 weeks that would be very good value.

Advertisement