Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AS A MATTER OF FACT - share your random but interesting facts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

mathie wrote: »
    :confused:

Maybe if you were on a train and the train started to slow but you started running down the carriages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Women are evil

Women = time * money

time = money

therefore women = money * money

money = √evil or the root of evil

therefore

women = √evil * √evil

women = evil or women are evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

mathie wrote: »
    :confused:

acceleration is change in speed or direction over time. you can be turning a corner and accelerating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Leonardo da vinci invented the scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

BumbleB wrote: »
    Leonardo da vinci invented the scissor sisters.

Always knew he was a cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Doctors Frank Gerow and Thomas Cronin invented the silicone breast implant in the early 1960's, that includes DD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Most people have heard of the Welsh village, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
    But, not many people know that it translates into; "Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio near the red cave."
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The giraffe has one of the shortest sleep requirements of any mammal, which is between ten minutes and two hours in a 24-hour period, averaging 1.9 hours per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

In WW2 they used to paint some reconnaissance planes pink because from a distance, pink is actually harder to see against a blue background than blue is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Did you know? The characters in the movies Psycho and Silence of the Lambs are based on a real person, Ed Gein. He died on July 26, 1984 of respiratory failure in the Mendota Mental Health Institute, Wisconsin. His victims were not so lucky. Ed was a grave robber who had developed a taste for slicing up people. He murdered his victims, cut them up, and then used their bones to make furniture. When caught in 1957, his room featured lampshades and chair seats made of human skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

StereoLove wrote: »
    The name "Anna" is the same backwards and forwards

Mind boggling fact you've gotten right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    50% of female polar bears also have a penis.

If French is full of Frenchness, what's P.E full of? :D

Physical Educationeness:P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

The two coins will be struck.....one will just drop from the table while the other will be belted several feet outwards.....but you'll hear them clink against the floor at exactly the same time.

Not if it hits a wall :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If male dolphins are feeling horny and there are no lady dolphins around, they will find the near whales blow hole and use that to get their rocks off.

(awaits whale jokes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

B0X wrote: »
    In WW2 they used to paint some reconnaissance planes pink because from a distance, pink is actually harder to see against a blue background than blue is.

And also because the planes looked absolutely fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pink used to be considered the manly colour and blue was for girls
    In Western culture, the color baby blue is often associated with baby boys (and baby pink for baby girls), particularly in clothing and linen and shoes. This is a recent tradition, however, and until the 1940s the convention was exactly the opposite: pink was considered the appropriate color for boys as the more masculine and "decided" while blue was the more delicate and dainty color and therefore appropriate for girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Except 'D' and 'G'.

The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Most people have heard of the Welsh village, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
    But, not many people know that it translates into; "Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio near the red cave."
    :D

True, I've been there. But it doesnt stop it being the most boring place on earth! FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

A hebrew is a male teabag.

Whats a Hindo?

Lays eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

1. It is physically impossible to lick your own elbow. 2. 95% of people who read that fact will attempt to lick their own elbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Thomas828 wrote: »
    1. It is physically impossible to lick your own elbow. 2. 95% of people who read that fact will attempt to lick their own elbows.

74159369_4c657fed77.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

The skin over your elbow is called your "weenus"

Mind....blown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

I have a serum that I'll inject when I turn 40. It turns me into a baby, I've been alive for 10,000 years. I can be killed though, but I can't die by aging. For some odd reason I've gained abilities such as being able to control people's minds; it's how I've stayed alive for so long, by controlling the mind of parents to think I'm their son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The story of Christianity: This lad called Jesus was crucified and everyone thought it was a big tell. The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

if you say oranges Really slowly it sounds like gullible.

jesus was not only the most holy man ever.... but he was Also a carpenter...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

needaname wrote: »
    You cant blink with your eyes open.

All polar bears are left handed.

The average life expectancy of a toilet is 60 years.

You dont say

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

You know that daah daah daaah dah dah daah daah daah tone you'd hear on older nokia phones when you get an SMS text message ? Well that's "S M S" in morse code.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And also because the planes looked absolutely fabulous.

Das Pufftwaffe Ja!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Spore wrote: »
    74159369_4c657fed77.jpg

Thank you.
    It's still not going to stop people repeating this nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Thank you.
    It's still not going to stop people repeating this nonsense

The Jesus myth bothers me more than the elbow one but its with baby steps we'll turn the world into a bunch of elbow licking atheists who aren't afraid of a bit of saturated fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

A barnacles penis is 10 times the length of its body. That'd be like a guy walking around with a 60 foot dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

before Ireland was a republic, Limerick City didnt want to be ruled by the brits, so they became an entirely different state to Ireland, known as the Limerick soviet.

It was completely self sufficient, it even had its own currency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

39% of statistics are made up

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hasmunch wrote: »
    39% of statistics are made up

Source

Fact: I'm a idiot for clicking that link...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Fact: when I sneeze a little pee comes out! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Smcgie wrote: »
    Its impossible to lick your elbow

My daughter can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

You know that daah daah daaah dah dah daah daah daah tone you'd hear on older nokia phones when you get an SMS text message ? Well that's "S M S" in morse code.

Think that might be S O S mate!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Smcgie wrote: »
    Its impossible to lick your elbow

hacks off your elbow and forces you to lick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ahem.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy fox" uses every letter of the alphabet.......

Wheres D? Or G? Or where is the lazy DOG that is supposed to be jumped over?

Thats what i get for reading thread from the start, and posting as i came across posts :)

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »

D and G are here, while the dog is here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

D and G are here, while the dog is here :pac:

Owned, good work Midnight:)

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Am I missig something here, cos theres no way that can be true

The German football teams away shirt is usually green as its a reignition of Ireland being the only team willing to play them after the war (England obviously didnt fancy getting a 4-1 hammering...)

The national team's home dress has always been a white jersey and black shorts. The colours are derived from the 19th century flag of the north German State of Prussia. The away shirt colour has changed several times. Historically, green shirt with white shorts is the most often used alternative colour combination, derived from the DFB colors (and the ones of a playing field),[citation needed] though it is also reported that the choice is in recognition of the fact that Ireland, whose home shirts are green, were supposedly the first nation to play Germany in a friendly game after World War II.[9] This is false, as their first match after WWII was in fact against Switzerland. Turkey and Republic of Ireland being the only non-German speaking nations to play them in friendly matches during 1951.

The national team's home dress has always been a white jersey and black shorts. The colours are derived from the 19th century flag of the north German State of Prussia. The away shirt colour has changed several times. Historically, green shirt with white shorts is the most often used alternative colour combination, derived from the DFB colors (and the ones of a playing field),[citation needed] though it is also reported that the choice is in recognition of the fact that Ireland, whose home shirts are green, were supposedly the first nation to play Germany in a friendly game after World War II.[9] This is false, as their first match after WWII was in fact against Switzerland. Turkey and Republic of Ireland being the only non-German speaking nations to play them in friendly matches during 1951.

You rely on Wikipedia?

SOS = ---...---

SMS = ---.. ---

Subtle, but you wouldn't want a coast guard rescue unit thinking you were just sending them a text and not asking for help.

Well that, or i go back in time. But i am out of coffee grounds at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

NothingMan wrote: »
    SOS = ---...---

SMS = ---.. ---

Subtle, but you wouldn't want a coast guard rescue unit thinking you were just sending them a text and not asking for help.

Actually I believe

SOS = ...---...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

white chocolate is in fact not chocolate.

Actually I believe

SOS = ...---...

Not here in backwards land. :rolleyes: Jeez! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Brian Eno composed the start up sound for Windows 95

• Advertisement
Advertisement