Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK Dunbrody Festival

Options
  • 28-06-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

So what are people looking forward to? Does anybody know what the pubs are doing for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What pubs ? - Sure they are only around 5 pubs downtown NR , and in most of them you could'nt swing a cat !

Have you ever been out on the town on the Saturday night of the Dunbrody Festival , and try to buy a drink in a pub ?

The Rag will definately be doing the usual Rock Bands - bring your ear plugs if you are going in there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

What pubs ? - Sure they are only around 5 pubs downtown NR , and in most of them you could'nt swing a cat !

Have you ever been out on the town on the Saturday night of the Dunbrody Festival , and try to buy a drink in a pub ?

The Rag will definately be doing the usual Rock Bands - bring your ear plugs if you are going in there .

I do agree with you, was in spider's last year the fri, sat and sun nights and took about a half hour every time you went to the bar, but at least spider does usually have a band or dj, and lets be honest i'm sure a lot of people (inc. myself) would prefer the music he will have compared to the s**t in the park

Ledger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Chips from The Penguin, eat them on The Quay. Then Richie's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sumthng2say10

the pubs prob wont be doing much as usual but there will be loads out and usually a great atmosphere for one weekend in ross

the pubs prob wont be doing much as usual but there will be loads out and usually a great atmosphere for one weekend in ross

the few who make effort most weekends will make a little bit of effort but the rest will do nothing and continue to complain that they're not busy.

Typical Irish publicans.

Ledger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Is there anyarea set up to camp down there for the weekend?

You can use my garden for 50 yoyos :p haha

No not that i know of. You can use my garden for 50 yoyos though :p haha

There are not usually supervised camping area during the festival , but you may as well ring the Town Council for further info :

http://www.newrosstc.ie/nr/

In last weeks local paper , Gardai asked that people attending the Festival be ' aware ' of where they park their cars .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

There is a camping facility about 7 miles out of town, pm me if you need details. Cant think of anywhere in the town that you could safely camp out. It would be good if there were some temporary facilities arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Anyone know a timetable for when things are on this weekend?
    For the park I assume it is the same as last year 7-10pm
    Fireworks Sunday at 10:15pm.

Can anyone confirm?

Anyone know a timetable for when things are on this weekend?
    For the park I assume it is the same as last year 7-10pm
    Fireworks Sunday at 10:15pm.

Can anyone confirm?

Absolutely ---- same again .

Bring your camera - upload to facebook / youtube / or wherever

Advertise the town --- It needs all the good publicity it can get

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Vanilla Ice FTW !!!

God forgive me, but I went to the festival tonight. Didnt get to see the Coronas but heard they played some good new stuff. I went with an open mind thinking that Jedward might at the very least be a little entertaining, wrong!

What a load of auld crap. Not that I'm surprised, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. The extra security features that we payed a fiver a head for included a transit van with "rapid response" written on it and some b-s cameras stuck to the roof. There was an army of rent a cops who had sfa to do cos numbers were no greater than the usual saturday night of the festival.

There were 5 ambulances and a herd of guards, neither were inundated with work thank god. There was an array of carnival activities to waste your money on, a cynical move if you ask me!

On the up side though was one Mr V. Ice. Not everyones cup of tea but a great entertainer and performer. He put those other twats to shame, most of the crowd left before he came on but by god did he work the crowd. They were singing and they were dancing, he was jumping on bottles of water like they were going out of fashion. I was more than happy to go home before he came on but to be fair he put on a very good show.

Does anyone know where the strongman competition is on today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

wexfjord wrote: »
    God forgive me, but I went to the festival tonight. Didnt get to see the Coronas but heard they played some good new stuff. I went with an open mind thinking that Jedward might at the very least be a little entertaining, wrong!

I don't think you're their target audience unless you're 10 ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

Does anyone know where the strongman competition is on today ?

a bit late now but as far as i know its on in the good council grounds

was at the festival today and its disgraceful what happened, over in the park there were young lads running around throwing thins of paint into the crowed destroying everyone, a group of about 7 or 8 young lads with hoodies, and where were the gardai? nowhere to be seen, then as if that wasnt bad enough a number of cars had paint and some sort of corrosive thrown all over them up on the park road. its absolutly scandalous and not one of them was caught or anything. law enforcment in new ross has a long way to come

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

germanator wrote: »
    was at the festival today and its disgraceful what happened, over in the park there were young lads running around throwing thins of paint into the crowed destroying everyone, a group of about 7 or 8 young lads with hoodies, and where were the gardai? nowhere to be seen, then as if that wasnt bad enough a number of cars had paint and some sort of corrosive thrown all over them up on the park road. its absolutly scandalous and not one of them was caught or anything. law enforcment in new ross has a long way to come

Just to point something out on this regard;

1) The guards will receive plenty of information from locals who give statements to guards, and any CCTV in the area. This will be significant enough, in a lot of cases, for arrests to be made. Its also possible that these youths were caught when leaving, or caught later on acting up elsewhere etc.

2) New Ross is a small enough place, its hardly a crime capital. I'm sure they were very stretched as it was, and that security were employed as extra protection. Sadly, they cant be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

numbers were no greater than the usual saturday night of the festival. QUOTE]

- you can't have been at the same concert - crowds at least double on other years

• Advertisement

mabey so, but i was around town most of the day and only came upon 3 different gardai between the town and the park, 3, now i certainly dont think thats enough garda presence at an event like this, and surely their not stretched that much to only afford 3 in the town!?

but apart from that i think its just such a disgrace that people cant come out on the town even once a year without having damage done to them or their cars by mindless little vandels, and what ive seen on the way home is an unmarked mondeo garda car covered in the same stuff nearer into town, will these little brats stop at nothing?

As far as I know , there may be CCTV in the town park ...This will help ,

In general , people are cautious to make statements to gardai , because they will end up in court .

The Gardai were busy on Saturday night , but I suppose , the incidents would be easier to deal with compared to Saturday nights in larger towns .

ive just been over town for a drive to see whats happening, and theres an incident at the dunbrody ship on the quay and id say every garda in the town was there, 4 patrol cars and a van, and as im driving over further what do i come across only a major row with no less than 20 people , and you'll never guess where this was taking place.... right outside the garda station, and when i drove past nearly 10 mins later it was still there, with even more involved

1966 wrote: »
    numbers were no greater than the usual saturday night of the festival. QUOTE]

- you can't have been at the same concert - crowds at least double on other years

Looks like we're both wrong, the number of tickets sold was little over 14,000 which is about 2k up on last years attendance, no great justification for the so called security measures that we payed for.

RE; todays ongoings in the park, there are several fixed cameras in the park and the garda station along with a large number of temporary cameras supplied by the security contractors, assuming they were recording!

Regarding Jedward, I brought the kids to see them and anyone I've spoken to since has agreed that Vanilla Ice was far more entertaining, leaving actual talent aside.

Flash Harry tonight was the business being vocally and anatomically accurate, Freddie Mercury would have been proud. The Michael Jackson tribute was not without its attributes, very good vocals from wacko, good dancers, very average backing singers and a good band. Poor auld wacko was out the day they were doing choreography and had his own interpretation on things but looked the part bar the round bit in the middle.

All in all a good evenings entertainment for zero cost. Well done to all involved. The rain kind of adds to the atmosphere, and to be honest, we've come to expect it.

On another note, i hear the only late bar in the town were charging a tenner in from yesterday evening and were fleecing people by selling SOL instead of Corona, apparently its the same thing! Who knew that publicans could be so devious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On another note, i hear the only late bar in the town were charging a tenner in from yesterday evening and were fleecing people by selling SOL instead of Corona, apparently its the same thing! Who knew that publicans could be so devious.
    Read the thread about watered down drink in Wexford.
    Back on topic-has anyone an opinion on how the Dunbrody Festival compared to this years Strawberry Festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sumthng2say10

The Festival was great the only weekend new ross comes alive!!!
    when crowds like that gather of course theres going to be fights and other incidents happening that cant be stopped the gardai had a busy weekend and cant be everywhere!!

The dunbrody festival is better than the strawberry Fair festival Fact!!!!

Advertisement