Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paycut one week, 2-3 weeks later new staff and overtime??

Options
  • 28-06-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I am just looking for some advise, about 3-4 weeks ago my collegues and I had to take a substantial paycut, 2 to 3 weeks later they have taken on 3 new employees and have told use that they will be taking on another 10 employees AND they have told use there will be plenty of overtime for next while:confused::mad:, please does anybody know what we can or cant do as seriously annoyed employees, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

new bee wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just looking for some advise, about 3-4 weeks ago my collegues and I had to take a substantial paycut, 2 to 3 weeks later they have taken on 3 new employees and have told use that they will be taking on another 10 employees AND they have told use there will be plenty of overtime for next while:confused::mad:, please does anybody know what we can or cant do as seriously annoyed employees, thanks

Very little I'd imagine.

I will assume the new employees will be on the same wage, and that they [managers etc] obviously did not predict the upturn in business.

Posted reply to wrong thread fail lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 new bee

Not what I really want to hear but thanks anyway:(

new bee wrote: »
    Not what I really want to hear but thanks anyway:(

I know, it is hard, but not much can be done. Unless of course the terms of your employment have changed significantly and you haven't received / agreed to a new Contract of Employment. (I assume you do indeed have a contract of employment, yes? If not, you may have some legal recourse.)

I'll also assume you're not earning below the minimum wage.

[devils advocate] Your company may have been hiring these 10 other staff members to do the extra work anyway, and now by reducing everyones salary, they can maybe afford to have more work done, and still maintain a profit margin, keeping the business viable.

I know form a workers point of view that may seem hard to take - but would you rather have your job, or be on the dole? [/devils advocate]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 new bee

I do have a contract with the company but have not received a revised or new contract since I have started with the company. I along with possibly 3 or 4 others would be the longest serving employees. We have signed an agreement letter to say we do accept the paycut, so I am not sure if that constitutes a revised contract? I suppose it was sign the letter or sign on.
    We would not earn less than the minimum wage, but at the same time things are tight enough as it is (not just for my self but some of my colleagues) without the wage cut and then the slap in the face of new staff and overtime.
    Dont get me wrong I wouldn't begrudge anybody a job the way things are the moment out there, but we are extremely annoyed and frustrated.
    Yes I certainly take your point on board I would rather have my job than collecting the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you had not signed the aggrement to the lower wage and the company decided to let you go, as you are there the longest you would have gotten redundancy ( more than 2 year service). If this happened, the company could not have hired the new employees to do the same job as you.

Of course there are ways around this, but it would have cost your company alot of money where as now they got a reduction in pay and more productivity.

Advertisement