Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldfield Estate near Joyces - what's it like?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving in to a house in Oldfield, just across from Joyces supermarket.

Don't know the area that well and am just wondering what it is like around there? Any problem with gangs of teenagers, or any previous trouble that I should take in to consideration?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

A hive of gang activity I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Are you serious or joking? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fine, my GF used to live in the area and it's a quiet residential place.
    Maybe a few groups of kids sitting on walls because there's **** all else to do out there...

Go drive through tonight a few times and have a look for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Mom's friend lives there. Nice place. One of the earlier Knocknacarra estates, so not too "concrete jungle"-ish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

buzz55 wrote: »
    Are you serious or joking? :eek:

Very serious. My GF got shot there last week.

• Advertisement

catmelodian, stop messing

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

its ok Biko, I'm not THAT gullible ;)

I moved out of an estate in the city a few years ago because I couldn't handle the constant groups of teenagers giving lip every time I walked out the door (house was 3 doors away from an alleyway up to the shop, they used to congregate at the bottom of the alley).

Just wondering if I'd be going back in to similar situation with Oldfield. Have driven past a few times and it seems okayish (no obvious 'packs' of kids) but its proximity to Joyces concerns me - did see a few hoodies sitting on the wall of Joyces with bottles of booze one evening when I drove past. I'm just too old to be putting up with hassle - but on the other hand I'd like to be a bit closer to town than I currently am. :confused:

Just up the road is Clyboan stores, where there's groups of kids too.
    I think wherever there's a shop there will be bored kids, just the nature of things.
    Except the small shop on Shantalla Road, I never see anyone there. Probably because everyone around are 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    Except the small shop on Shantalla Road, I never see anyone there. Probably because everyone around are 80+

And there is no wall to sit on.
    You want to watch out for shops AND walls. Tis a lethal combination. Teenagers are lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its a grand area and it should be fine for you. The only thing you should worry about is the waft of the meat counter from Joyce's.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement