Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Taxi Sign on Dominic Street

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice the massive taxi advertisement on the building opposite the Galway Arms. Advertising their taxi number. and the words Welcome to Dominick Street you are now entering Old Galway. Its the ugliest thing I ever saw. Why all the new labels for Galway all of a sudden - the latin quater, old galway, etc. anything for business i suppose :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Noticed it for the first time this morning - fookin 'orrible!

I wonder if the ole planning laws have been adheared to?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Old Galway"?
    When Galway was old Dominick street was a field of mud.
    Old Galway stretched from Eyre Square to Corrib.
    We're talking 1651 here folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

biko wrote: »
    "Old Galway"?
    When Galway was old Dominick street was a field of mud.
    Old Galway stretched from Eyre Square to Corrib.
    We're talking 1651 here folks :D

Jesus Biko, for a 350odd yr old person, you're doing well to be using a computer:D

Yep,its all just advertising i think-they don't seem to care once they get their point across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Agreed. That stupid sign cheapens the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, saw with last night and was immediately moved to wonder how "that monstrosity" got planning. (half-guessing it hasn't ..)

It's on the side of the Bridge Mills building (surely it's protected???), so can only be seen by folks going from Mill St garda station over O'Briens bridge: so, yes, it is on the edge of "old Galway". Somehow I'm picking that most of the folks travelling along that route will already know where they are.

Time for some negative consumer feedback to Galway Taxis, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I know this is slighly off the point (but it's still about signage and planning permission) but, why is there signs for the 2009 Volvo ocean race still all over the city? Who's supposed to take them down and when?

Local politicians have to remove their posters within weeks of an election finishing so how come the volvo signs have been up for over a year after the event? I understand they extended thier use when the green dragon was in Salthill, but seriously:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Those are city council signs.
    They can do what they like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Touché :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Greaney wrote: »
    I understand they extended their use when the green dragon was in Salthill, but seriously:confused:

My parents went looking for the Green Dragon the other week, assuming the signs were still accurate... the council are utterly unhelpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had a quick look at the Planning Map on the City Co's site and there doesn't appear to be any planning in place for the sign.

• Advertisement

spender.j wrote: »
    My parents went looking for the Green Dragon the other week, assuming the signs were still accurate... the council are utterly unhelpful!

His lair is in Dangan

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the Planning Map on the City Co's site and there doesn't appear to be any planning in place for the sign.

ah sure leave it up like the countless other signs that go up in galway without planning especially on friday evenings at 15:59 and disappear by monday morning at 08:56

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

spender.j wrote: »

It's in a locked compound down the docks

Advertisement